Creating comparison report between Invoices and Delivery Notes

Hi!
I’ve looked around in the Custom Report section and can’t find anything that looks like it would bring up Delivery Note information. I also tried to create a batch from the Delivery Note area but it only seems to grab the first page of delivery notes.
I turned on Delivery Notes when I first set this up because I have a number of customers who needed Packing Lists attached to their orders. Most of my customers don’t. So - creating a delivery note for every small, in-person sale doesn’t always happen. Up to this point I’ve been opening up Invoices in one window and Delivery notes in another and trying to make sure they match up. I’d really rather have a printed report that I could look at to clearly see any discrepancies. Here at year end I’m trying to get inventory correct and it appears I’ve missed something - who knows how many months back.
I know I can go back into Inventory and look at items to be delivered. Unfortunately, in doing that, I’ve found that sometimes (and I have no explanation for this) a single inventory item seems to not have been delivered but the rest of the items have. (We don’t work in partial shipments - it’s all or nothing.) So - if I use that to create a Delivery Note, I then end up with multiple delivery notes and that messes up the inventory again.
So - with a full printed list, I can go back and quickly and easily see if a Delivery Note is already in place for an order and then correlate individual items showing as need to be delivered with Delivery Notes that are already in place. It would just be so much faster and cleaner.
Hope that makes sense and I’m hoping someone can give me a good idea how to get that information out fully.
THANKS!

You have an interesting situation. Once you turn on Delivery Notes, you must enter them for every sale, whether you need them as packing slips or not. Otherwise, quantities are never removed from inventory, even though receivable amounts are accounted for when the customer pays against an invoice.

The problem with trying to get this information from custom reports is that the quantity accounting does not involve general ledger transactions. And custom reports only include those. So you will have to give up that idea.

Your best source of information is the Qty to deliver column in Inventory Items. Drill down until you get to individual sales transactions.

You probably had a backorder situation. The program will not “deliver” an item you do not have on hand. Depending on your replenishment purchase history, it can be tough to trace these situations and understand them. But eventually, they should be delivered. The program may generate a separate transaction to handle the eventual delivery.

I’ll have to disagree with this concept entirely. I’m a month behind in entering Production Orders for products we sell. We made them, shipped them and did Delivery Notes for them but the actual Production Orders hadn’t been created yet. (yes, yes, I know this is bad practice but it’s life right now). The system shows none needing to be delivered but shows negative quantities on hand. So - I don’t think backorders are even considered in the Delivery Notes area.

I do know that any sales of items you don’t have ins tock seem to now show 100% profit until you get the items in via Purchasing or Production. It was a bit of a shock the first time I did Production Orders and watched my Net Profit number drop by a noticeable amount. Now I’m used to it. (We sell an item that’s $25,000 and grant money was being used to buy them and they were back-ordered in December. I was asked to invoice them anyway so that they wouldn’t lose the grant money and, Wow, did that jump up my profits for the year! I’ve reset the date into 2021 on the invoices to hopefully fix that issue.)

I did notice that the two problems I found with some but not all of the items showing as delivered were from last July. I deleted the Delivery Notes for the entire order and recreated them - everything was fine. I’m going to pass that off as a bug in the software that has now been fixed.

I’d still like to see a way to have a list of undelivered items and/or a comparison between invoices and Delivery Notes without having to dig through columns in Inventory to verify things. (Remember you have to click in the Items to Deliver column twice - once to get any positive numbers and then again to get any negative numbers that might have occurred due to overactive Delivery Note creation.) Just trying to make it as clean as possible and with as little clicking back and forth possible to find/fix errors.

Or, maybe, for future users, give an option for just a plain old Packing Slip? I might be willing to actually rebuild the whole company if that became possible. . . .

Thanks! Keep Smiling & Stay Healthy!

Well, you never mentioned production orders, only sales invoices and delivery notes. You can also be in a backorder situation when you produce items. In Manager, a backorder situation only means you are selling items you do not yet own (from an accounting perspective). If you aren’t entering production orders, you are going to have insufficient quantity issues whether you are buying or manufacturing the item. The program catches up as you acquire more.

That may have been illegal, depending on your method of accounting. Because you have inventory, you may be required to use accrual basis accounting. And yes, sometimes, profits jump up in one year, but they will be offset in the next. That’s life, as you said.

I seriously doubt it. I think your production just caught up so your records are complete.

Based on what you’ve written, I don’t think you should be using delivery notes at all. You only seem to need a packing slip for a few customers. If I were you, I’d consider generating them outside Manager. (Worth it for such a high-value item.) Or I’d create a custom theme just for packing slips on which pricing information was suppressed and the title was changed.

You could actually go back and Bulk Delete all your old delivery notes and then disable the module. Be sure to backup the business before starting down that path, of course.

1 Like

I will say this again - it doesn’t matter if it is a production item or one of my normal products (we have 2 divisions here - one retail of a large range of products and one that manufacturers a very small quantity of products). I can ‘deliver’ products I don’t have all I want and the item shows as delivered in inventory but with a negative quantity on hand. The actual ‘cost’ of the item that was already delivered goes into the system only as I purchase it or make it. Basically the Delivery Notes don’t care about backorders.

The two odd non-delivered items were not part of our production process, they were accessories for our other sales. So still a bit of a mystery but fixed so no worries.

THANK-YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CUSTOM THEME SUGGESTION AND BULT DELETE OPTION!!! I hadn’t thought of doing that and have been grumbling about the Delivery Notes, literally for the last 2 years. Once the year-end has all been cleaned up, that’s next on my to-do list.