Closing ideas after discussions completed

A lot of stuff is posted in the ideas category sometimes lingering for years. When @Lubos recently was trying to automatically remove discussions in localisations within a week then this was perceived as too brusk and also forgoing the opportunity to learn from the discussion, but the underlying reasoning to put an end to it is sound.

The ideas category just has too many very old ideas that relate to Manager versions of years back. Not so long ago the “voting” system for ideas was removed. The reason for this was that there were too many ideas so voting seems useless. However, I noticed that the voting did not work also because most of the leading ideas with most number of votes did not get implemented while others that just appeared with hardly any votes would. So the voting only served as signal by users of importance but not as trigger to do something about it.

The ideas category looks if it merely serves as psychological satisfaction basket similar to a pacifier. You have an idea, people discuss it and you hope it gets taken on. You and others keep discussing it until there is nothing more to discuss and then the topic remains in silence for whatever period. When someone posts a related new topic on the forum they quickly are referred to that it already has been discussed in the ideas category, thereby effectively shutting you up without further resolution.

Often reference is made that the ideas category, is just that, an area were ideas can be discussed and where it is up to @Lubos to decide which to implement or not. I can respect that the decision is his, but I would recommend that ideas get closed by him and moved to a category on itself like “retired ideas” within a certain time-limit, even without explanation, but to make clear that the idea is not supported or has been made redundant because of other developments, and that we move on.

This will have the benefit of only having a list of recent ideas that need further discussion before being retired or implemented and that the category no longer serves as a pacifier.

Maybe this can be posted in the ideas category?

The ideas category is not for ideas about the forum.

when you take the hope out of the users you are just going to introduce chaos on the forum :sweat_smile:

I do not see any benefit in closing the topics because all we are going to do is discuss the same things over and over again. atleast now we have somewhere to point to.

but I agree that some clarity can be provided by the developer as to what obstacles need to be overcome before an idea could be implemented. because most ideas can be implemented only after certain improvements at the core level are made. @lubos maybe a dynamic roadmap unlike the previous static roadmap could be reintroduced without any specific target date.

1 Like

There are 198 topics in ideas at the moment. Of these half (99) are from 2017 (5), 2018 (20), 2019 (35) and 2020 (39).

There are some ideas closed but still present, they were closed mostly because of wandering of the original idea.

There are plenty with hardly any replies, and some with many. For example the second most views (5,700) and 11th most replies, created November 2019 and last post December 2019 at "As at" on balance sheet - #34 by anon5385611 got an elegant fix proposed by @Lubos but kept arguing about correctness of using As at vs At on vs At of, and remains open.

So why not tidy this up, put them to rest one way or another?

3 Likes

i Agree With @eko
there Are 198 Ideas Pending…
in my Opinion @lubos Should make A Deadline For Implementation of Ideas. if Implementation of Any Particular Idea Is Possible in given deadline then only it will be included in ideas.

Right, Many New Topics are just Closed By saying As it is already Discussed in ideas Category. But Sometimes That Discussion is 2-3 Years Old and after that There is no Work On it. if Developer not want to include any particular Idea In manger Then it should be removed from ideas Category.

There is no reason further discussion can or should not occur in an ideas thread which is several years old. covering such things as

• What solutions would be helpful for particular use cases
  • the relevance on not of an idea given later Manager updates
  • Work around users have found helpful prior to NG Software program updates

I do not believe public rating of ideas by NG Software would be useful. They work out their priorities internally. Releasing them would just mean they had to waste time justifying them to people who had no idea of the internal business realities.