Cannot Rename Business after Import 16.12.55

Thank you for spotting that!
So I need to locate the manager-accounting folder and see if I can change
the permissions to read-write? I will see if I can. This is making sense
now.
Thank you! I will post the results.

This is driving me a little crazy…
I clicked on “About Manager” - The path shown is /home/aidan/.local/share/Manager
Navigate to there in either the terminal or the file manager, and we can look at the files and file permissions.
Here is a paste of an installation on 16.04 with just one business

-rw-rw-r-- user user 0664 00000000000000000000000000000000
-rw-r–r-- root root _ 0664 00000000000000000000000000000000.manager
drwxrwxr-x user user 0775 7303e72376d64fbcba7316ce341e0521
-rw-r–r-- root root 0664 7303e72376d64fbcba7316ce341e0521.manager
-rw-rw-r-- user user 0664 size

The two files suffixed ‘.manager’ are the sqlite files. Both here are owned by root with 0664 permissions.
The remainder are owned by the user also with 0664 permissions.
There is also a sub-directory, owned by the user with 0775, containing just one file with 0664.

How does your file system compare ???

As you look at the accounting data folder, there can be obsolete files and folders due to past restructuring of storage schemes. The program does not remove them upon update, and they can be safely left there, but they can also be a nuisance. Several can be safely eliminated:

• 00000000000000000000000000000000 (without the .manager extension) is an obsolete index the program ignores.

• 00000000000000000000000000000000.manager (with the extension) is the current SQLite index.

• Folders, regardless of their names, are relics of obsolete data structures. Their alphanumeric gibberish matches the accounting file with which they used to be associated. They are of no use anymore.

• Files with alphanumeric names like f565db9ce66044188729588d6f5f2269.manager are the actual data files, one per business. Identify which are active by entering a transaction in a business and seeing which file is updated (from metadata). Any determined not to be associated with active businesses can be removed.

• You may have one more alphanumeric.manager file that has something to do with audit trails, depending on your edition and version.

• size stores window parameters upon program closing on desktop editions.

So, for example, @xero50 could most likely safely remove two from the list. A good idea is not to delete them initially, but move them to a temporary location. Then check to see if all businesses are still present with real data. (A business in the index whose file is deleted will be regenerated, but with only default modules and no accounting data.) Delete only after you are convinced you still have everything you need.

I just checked. There is no Owner folder. Even though “About Manager” shows
this :
/home/owner/.local/share/Manager

Using file manager I click on Home and see desktop, music, documents,
pictures, etc. but absolutely no Owner.
If I click on Computer and open Home, there is an Owner file there but same
folders are in it with no MA. A root folder has an X on it, and I can’t
open it. I do not have permissions!
I have no idea where MA is after trying a search.
This is definitely a problem!

Looks like Nautilus is playing it’s tricks on you…
I have found in the past that Ubuntu’s file manager (nautilus) assumes that the username is implied by default.
Therefore when you select or click on say “Documents” it actually displays the file path /home/username/Documents but just doesn’t necessarily say so, or make it that obvious.

Suggest that you use the ‘View’ menu and select “show hidden files”. This will allow you to then see the full vista at least.
Also, suggest that you use ‘Go’ menu, and “Enter Location”. This will reveal the full path, and allow you to navigate that way if you wish.

You will probably not be able to change file permissions or ownership from your file manager as a normal user. You can either do that from the terminal or you can run nautilus as root from the terminal with the command

gksudo nautilus

Either way, once you “show hidden files”, you should be able to navigate to /home/owner/.local/share/Manager

Just remember that you need to take care when messing with file systems using root authority, as per @Tut 's advice

Having the same problem also. The .local folder is visible in the Home folder if you do a Ctrl H to toggle hidden files…you can find the share/Manager then. I cant create an invoice now without getting the following:

Internal Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

Please report this error to bugs@manager.io.

If possible, please attach your backup file so we can reproduce this problem internally.

Also, please include the following information in your error report:

16.12.56 (Desktop)

/sales-invoice-form?AppendKeyToReferrer=True&Referrer=068adc06-17fb-4147-ae32-3c1b40af9163&FileID=7d58f7db-5775-478b-b8c4-a1cb90d800e1
SQLite.SQLiteException: ReadOnly
  at SQLite.PreparedSqlLiteInsertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery (System.Object[] source) [0x00129] in :0 
  at SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Insert (System.Object obj, System.String extra, System.Type objType) [0x0010e] in :0 

Finally! Someone else with the same problem. I’m wondering about that
SQLite stuff in the error.
Did you try to edit an invoice or quote? I get an error when trying that
also.

OK, after getting the the manager folder, it shows a lock on it and when I
go into the permissions it is owned by root. All the other folders that
contain it are owned by me. I thought I was the admin? I am the only user
on this machine and I installed the OS as wel as setup the only account and
password at time of installation. So how to I access this folder at root
level and get the permissions to me?

Backup directory first (:

You can try to change owner for the directory via:
sudo chown -R YOUR_USER_NAME:YOUR_USER_NAME Manager

This should be run in terminal assuming you are in /home/owner/.local/share directory.

That command breaks down to:
sudo - run command with superuser rights
chown - command that change owner of the files
-R - recursive switch, meaning that Manager directory, and all other subdirectories and files in it will change owner
YOUR_USER_NAME:YOUR_USER_NAME - replace this with your actual username. It consist of two parts divided by “:”, first part will change files owner to your account, second part change files group to your account.
Manager - this is name of directory to which apply chown command.

1 Like

Thanks koroko
That seems to have worked.

Thank you for your help and the commands! But here is what I get when I
attempted them:

owner@owner-A780L3B:~$ cd /home/owner/.local/share
owner@owner-A780L3B:~/.local/share$ sudo chown -R owner:owner manager
[sudo] password for owner:
chown: cannot access ‘manager’: No such file or directory

Any other ideas?

directory names are case sensitive, try “Manager”, with capital M.
if that fails run
ls -l
while in .local/share directory.

That command will list all files in directory, thus we will be able to find manager dir.

best

You Sir Koroko are a true expert. MA is finally fixed! I was able to change
ownership of the file and now I am able to change the business name,
etc.etc. Once I listed the files it was easy to see that Manger was the
only one with root. I must have entered the incorrect syntax last night
when I first tried it.

I truly appreciate your help and your tenacity for not giving up on me!
Thank you!!!

Hi Xero50

I seem to have a problem with adding new stock and adding new sales but it throws out an error.
I need help asap please.

I have uploaded an screenshot to show what the exact error is.

Did you by any chance opened *.manager file on another computer before this error appeared? What version of manager you are using now, and, if you opened *.manager file on another computer, what version of manager was there?

I downloaded Manager on my new computer.But the information I imported on my Computer came from my Bosses computer which she already had on a stick.She has Windows 7 and I have got Windows 7 Ultimate which I am upgradeing to Windows 10 Now.

Could it be that we have two different versions of Manager?

I have send you a screen shot of my Manager Version.

You should compare the versions by looking under “About Manager” if your version is prior to 17.4.0

Or if after version 17.4.0 look in the top right corner on the home page

Yep, different version of manager might cause that. If you opened *.manager file in newer version of the program underlying database structure will be automatically converted to suite program needs.
If you after that will open same file in older version of the program errors might occur due to difference in expected DB scheme and actual that is in the file (due to update).

So, try to download latest version of the Manager on both computers and try to open file in it.

Best

Thank you so much - I will give it a shot.

Hi Koroko

I have done exactly what you told me to do but it still throws out an error.I don’t know what to do now?I Downloaded the latest version that you asked me to download but it still throws out the same error.