Blank Window at Startup - Manager Desktop for Linux

Manager Desktop for Linux latest appimage
Linuxmint 21.2 Cinnamon

When I start Manager I get an empty window that only says “Businesses” in the title bar. Everything else is blank. Have re-downloaded, restarted computer, etc. No change

However - if I leave the Manager window open and put http://127.0.0.1:55667/businesses in my web browser it opens there and appears to work fine but the Manager window itself is still blank. I have not tried updating a record from there yet. If I close the Manager window then I can no longer access it in the web browser.

It was working fine this morning. Since then there was a system software update for Chromium browser and also for Samba. Don’t know if either of those would have any effect.

Suggestions?

This indicates there are no business data files in the application data folder to which your installation is set.

This is confusing. What “open there?” And how can anything work fine if the window is blank? Illustrate with screen shots.

Yes they could, depending on what the updates did. You may have wiped your application data folder. See the Guide for troubleshooting help: Manage application data folder contents | Manager.

Thanks for your reply!

Nope - not that. Folder structure same as always.

Will attach screenshots but here’s what happens: I open the Manager desktop app, it opens it’s window but all that it shows is the window title bar. Everything blank. However, if I move the mouse pointer around the window the pointer changes to a hand in the upper left portion of the window (nowhere else). Clicking does nothing but I can right-click and copy the underlying but invisible link. There are three:
http://127.0.0.1:55667/support
http://127.0.0.1:55667/users
http://127.0.0.1:55667/businesses
I then paste the link into my web browser (Vivaldi Browser - Chromium based) and then the appropriate page opens in my web browser but the Manager application window remains blank.
It appears to have full functionality in the web browser. I edited some items and created a new invoice in my business and I see that the database file updated immediately. Upon closing the web browser and re-opening my changes are still there.
Once I close the Manager application window no Manager pages are available in the web browser.

Screenshots:
Blank Manager application window

Manager business file opened in web browser

Not sure about Linux, but this is similar to what was happening to me on Windows 10 when webview2 needed to be installed.

@robbielink, many problems have been reported with chromium based browsers over the years that do not occur with other browsers. Try changing your default browser to something else. Then try opening the desktop edition again in the normal way. Your report of a software update just prior to appearance of your problem points in that direction.

Thanks. I changed default browser to Firefox, double checked it was acting as default, and tried Manager again but no love. I guess I don’t understand what difference the default browser would make since Manager desktop is running as an appimage. But anyway - what I did that worked was roll my system back to the morning of the day that Manager was working properly (thanks to Timeshift on LinuxMint) and now it works fine. Plus the changes I made via the Vivaldi browser were still there. So it clearly had something to do with the LinuxMint system updates. I could post a (long) list of the updates made that day here if anyone is interested but the basic ones were Webkit2gtk, Samba, Curl, Tiff, Chrome.
I suppose I should try just updating one thing at a time to see what breaks Manager. Anyone got a suggestion what to try first?

This may be related and is finally resolved in the version indicated in the post Appimage on Linux - #13 by lubos

Sadly, that didn’t help. Re-downloaded and installed Manager thinking the Appimage had been updated but I’m pretty sure it was the version I was already running (didn’t copy the version # for that one and deleted it). Since some of the OS updates were security updates my system updated automatically overnight and now I’m back to empty app window. I can roll back again but hope to find out which update caused the problem - when I have time I’ll manually update one at a time. But here (screenshot) is the list - I’m pretty sure one of these of the culprit and I’m suspecting webkit2gtk. Thoughts?
Screenshot from 2023-10-12 08-37-58
I’ll link to here from the other thread.

Did you get this resolved? I have the same problem, blank screen, no businesses. It works in a browser but not in the App.

No - not resolved. I just downloaded the latest appimage but still not good. Works in browser, as you said, but the Manager app window is still blank.

What’s interesting is:
Not working on desktop w/ LinuxMint 21.2 and Cinnamon desktop
but I just downloaded it onto my laptop running LinuxMint 21.2 with XFCE desktop and it works there.

What are you running it on?

I’m on Kubuntu. It used to work on there until a few weeks ago I let the automatic upgrade run and after that it stopped working.

When I start the app in a console, this is the output:

(ManagerDesktop:5948): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:47.987: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1649:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name

(ManagerDesktop:5948): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:47.987: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1652:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name

(WebKitWebProcess:6018): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:48.288: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1649:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name

(WebKitWebProcess:6018): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:48.288: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1652:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name

(WebKitWebProcess:6018): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:48.301: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1649:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name

(WebKitWebProcess:6018): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:54:48.301: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1652:16: ‘-gtk-icon-size’ is not a valid property name
KMS: DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: Permission denied
Failed to create GBM buffer of size 1024x768: Permission denied
Failed to create EGL images for DMABufs with file descriptors -1, -1 and -1

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start looking?

Here’s a solution I found:

Open a console and run this command first…

export WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1

and then run the app.

It’s not perfect, but close enough to make me happy, as you can put this in a little shell script, create a launcher and forget about it.

For more info, check this page.

I probably did something wrong there so when you posted this it did not work for me but just today found basically same solution in another thread creating a shell script and that worked.

Thanks!