Being able to set period for all tabs

Dear Manager. thanks a lot for a great program, im a new user and find your program super usefull. 1 think though that annoys me a lot is the lack of the ability to set a period in purchase invoices. sales invoices, taxes… etc. even in the “summary tab” when i type in period there, it only shows it for Profit and Loss Statement. and not for Balance Sheet. i know i can go in and make a report for a specific period in “reports”. but it is highly complicated to go back and forth if i want to correct errors in a specific period. or just double check my taxes for a specific period (one example of many)

So bassicly what i am sugesting is putting a Set Period button on all tabs. or all least give me the option to include balance sheet in the Set Period menu in summary. and I can not see how this would be confusing for anyone, or in any other way disturb the user interface. all other banking applications has this feature for several reasons

Again great job

All the best

Jean

You cannot set a period for balance sheet accounts because that would violate many accounting principles. Balance sheet accounts are perpetual, meaning they carry over from one accounting period to the next. The current balance in every balance sheet account depends on every transaction ever posted to it. If you excluded transactions outside some period, the numbers would be meaningless.

What you can do is specify an end or as-of date and see what the balances were on that date.

Ok, I can live with the summary setting then. but what about the question that is the topic " [Being able to set period for all tabs"

"the ability to set a period in purchase invoices. sales invoices, taxes… etc. "

Why would you want to set a period for tabs? Would you want the program to hide past invoices from you? Or ignore payslips outside a range of dates?

The function of tabs is not to display data within a range, but to list all transactions or subsidiary ledgers of a certain type.

If you want to simplify the process of finding something, use the techniques in these Guides:
https://guides.manager.io/16487
https://guides.manager.io/16488
You can export ranges of data to a spreadsheet to manipulate or perform desired calculations.

yes i saw that you could have that option to “search” reading on the forum after i posted… seems like other people wanted same function

I Can give you several examples of why i would like to see data within a specific range without creating a report, and i will in a second.

But first of all i would like to turn the question around, why would you not give me the option to display data within a range?

it docent seem to me that it would take any major programming other then adding a subtle button which already exist in summary.

Scenario: 1

im doing my VAT for the last 3 months but find that the number coming out of the report is wrong. i want to go and check if “Amounts are tax inclusive” is turned on but the report only shows me the ones where it is turned on. so wouldn’t see the mistake though the report. the thing is you can have several overseas purchases where the VAT is not relevant for you tax report. the other thing is that not all things you purchase has the same VAT in certain countries. so therefore making the mistake of putting an item into a wrong category of VAT is possible.

Scenario: 2

i just want to see how many invoices i had in a specific period. or how much capital i generated… etc… without having to do a report that i afterwards have to delete, if i only want to keep important reports.

I could go on.

In my opinion the purpose of having an accounting program should not only be for it to be able to generate/calculate data. but also being able to navigate/acces the data as easily and fast as possible, and do find it very strange to option is not there already in an otherwise very great application

all the best

Jean

As I wrote before: because it makes no accounting sense. Your original question was about displaying a balance sheet for a defined time period, like a profit and loss statement.

Features will never be added that contradict fundamental accounting principles, now matter how easy that might be.

You have not said what report you are referring to. But that really does not matter, because the checkbox for Amounts are tax-inclusive has nothing to do with whether transactions are included on reports. That checkbox only controls whether the tax amount is added to the price of the item or is already included in it and has to be backed out.

Transactions involving various tax codes can be easily reviewed in the Tax Transactions report. That is what it is for.

A time-restricted balance sheet will not provide that information. But in the Sales Invoices tab, you can sort by date and count or export. Depending on your date format, you can get the result directly in a Search. For example, if your format is DD/MM/YYYY, you can search for “03/2018” have get a list of all invoices from March 2018. At the bottom of the list, the Export (2) button will tell you 2 invoices were found.

Tut

9m

Jm.r:

why would you not give me the option to display data within a range?

As I wrote before: because it makes no accounting sense. Your original question was about displaying a balance sheet for a defined time period, like a profit and loss statement.

My original question was genereal about adding “set period” in all tabs/categories with balance sheet being one example, you can see that if you read the post again, especially the topic, " lack of the ability to set a period in purchase invoices. sales invoices, taxes… etc. even in the “summary tab"

Jm.r:

it docent seem to me that it would take any major programming other then adding a subtle button which already exist in summary.

Features will never be added that contradict fundamental accounting principles, now matter how easy that might be.

I dont get the argument that it contradicts fundamental accounting principles. does it also contradict fundamental accounting principles when use the search box to acces the data? how can it contradict anything to be able to see a specific period for my business. what if i only want to see how i did in 2017 does that contradict accounting principles unless i see it trough a pdf report?

Jm.r:

i want to go and check if “Amounts are tax inclusive” is turned on but the report only shows me the ones where it is turned on.

You have not said what report you are referring to. But that really does not matter, because the checkbox for Amounts are tax-inclusive has nothing to do with whether transactions are included on reports. That checkbox only controls whether the tax amount is added to the price of the item or is already included in it and has to be backed out.

You are kinda right about that it docent really matter what report. but in this case im talking about “Tax Transactions” i have no chance to see in that report if something slipped trough, didn’t get tax categorised, and even if i was able to see it, it seems weird to me that i have to make a report and then go back to change something instead of just being able to press to post and correct it.

Jm.r:

mistake of putting an item into a wrong category of VAT is possible.

Transactions involving various tax codes can be easily reviewed in the Tax Transactions report. That is what it is for.

Jm.r:

i just want to see how many invoices i had in a specific period.

A time-restricted balance sheet will not provide that information. But in the Sales Invoices tab, you can sort by date and count or export. Depending on your date format, you can get the result directly in a Search. For example, if your format is DD/MM/YYYY, you can search for “03/2018” have get a list of all invoices from March 2018. At the bottom of the list, the Export (2) button will tell you 2 invoices were found.

yes so much i understood. so lets say i want to see the list first 3 months of 2018 (which is a tax period for VAT in my case) how do i “search” on that

and isn’t this also a violation of fundamental accounting principles?

another case that i would have to be able to see a specific period (and interact with it, instead of interacting with the pdf from the report) is if the TAX authorities. come back in a year and say they see irregularities in my tax period from XX-XX-XXXX to XX-XX-XXXX

Oh correction, just figured out that the reports are clickable. nice. didn’t notice because i was exporting them as pdf.

In your first post, you wrote, “…it only shows it for Profit and Loss Statement. and not for Balance Sheet.” and “or all least give me the option to include balance sheet in the Set Period menu in summary.” That gave me the impression that you were focused on seeing a balance sheet or balance sheet balances only for a specific time span. My impression was reinforced by the fact that you already can set periods for the profit and loss statement, which was your own example of what you were looking for. Based on your further statements, I will disregard that impression.

You can’t look at a balance sheet account and have it mean anything if you’ve left out historical transactions.

No, because the Search function works only in lists of transactions, not on account balances.

How you did in 2017 is shown by two things: the P&L for 2017 and a balance sheet for the last day of 2017. How a business is “doing” involves two things, position and performance. The balance sheet shows position. The P&L shows performance. Either alone is an incomplete picture of how you did that year.

You are right about that. No report is going to show you the absence of tax data, whether you have restricted the period of coverage or not. Manager has no way to tell whether you meant to omit a tax code. But in several of the tax reports, you can drill down and look for missing invoice numbers in a sequence. Or, in the Tax Audit report, you can drill down and look in the No Tax column, drilling down to see which transactions contributed to various accounts without having a tax code applied.

You can’t search for a date range. You search to find matches to text.

No. See my answer above to the same question.

The report you see on screen isn’t a PDF. It’s a live rendering of HTML code, usually with active blue links that let you drill down to underlying transactions.

Then you will generate the necessary reports covering the required period. The tax authority isn’t going to be fiddling in the program to change dates under Set Period, nor would you want them to.