Bank rules going to suspense following changes in Receipts and Payments

Hi,

I downloaded the latest “Manager” on my new mac (version details below). Now many transactions have been moved to “Suspense”, where I previously had none there. This has affected 323 transactions going back to June 2021. All transactions are from cash accounts, where the contra account was a “special account”. This has not affected all cash transactions in these special accounts, but has affected most. All transactions are from one of two control accounts (these are the main two control accounts I use).

Any idea what the cause is, and most importantly, how I can get this fixed ASAP? The client affected needs data from me ASAP to dispose of investments before YE to reduce tax bill.

I have tried opening it on my old mac, but unfortunately I have the data folder synced through Google Drive, so now I can’t open the file with the previous version.

EDIT: I have another “business” set up on Manager for the same client under a different legal entity, but doing exactly the same activity. The setup here is practically identical. The update did not affect this “business”.

Current version: 22.12.19.561; Macbook Pro M1 Pro; OS Monterey
Previous version: 22.3.74 on Macbook pro intel i5; OS Ventura 13.0

Could you post a screenshot of the edit screen of one of the affected transactions?

Hey @Ealfardan , here’s one.

Could you confirm whether “Deferred Call Premium - November 2022” is a Control Account or a Special Account?

@Ealfardan It’s a special account. Screenshot attached of how it looks when the transaction is done properly.

Control Account is Deferred Call Premium. This has special accounts for each month (ie where November 2022 is a different account to November 2023).

So I’ve found that all the transactions also sit in the “Uncategorised transactions” section of bank accounts. Fortunately all these transactions are subject to bank rules, which it seems I can simply apply for some of them. Unfortunately though, for many transactions the bank rules need to be changed to accommodate. Any solution that doesn’t require me doing this would be much appreciated.

Ok, previously Manager used to accept any type of account in a single Account field and this used to work.

Now the program only accepts accounts in their respective fields, i.e.: Customer, Supplier, Employee, Special Account, etc. This was done for standardization purposes.

This shouldn’t have been a problem because the updates took care of existing transactions, however, since you have bank rules set up in the old way, you get this error.

Your solution is to:

1. Find & Recode all affected transactions to Suspense account–in case they don’t appear in bank rule categorization screens.
  2. Update your Receipt Rules and Payment Rules to the new setup in order to avoid repeating this situation.
  3. Run your new rules again.

So…

unfortunately, that isn’t an option since you can’t have the old rules anyway, otherwise the situation will repeat.

Thanks for the answer.

When I set up those bank rules, I did have to select a control account and then a special account in a separate field. That was the only way to do it in the first place.

To update all of the bank rules will take me hours… Is there no chance of this being fixed via an update?

It’s really frustrating that changes would cause such a big impact like this. There must be many people who use bank rules and have used Manager for many years, so this could then affect thousands or tens of thousands of transactions. In fact the reason my previous version is so old is because I stopped updating Manager after one too many workflow-breaking changes. This now goes a step further though - I can begrudgingly update my workflows and all the excel formulas that rely on the the exported data, but if I have to start worrying about the integrity of the underlying data, that’s not going to work anymore and I’ll have to find a new software.

You can use Batch update to modify your existing bank rules. This should speed up your process.

Also, I can understand your frustrations, in fact the program have been undergoing major transformations in all kinds of directions due to every country in the world going overboard with their tax regulations. And each country wanted a different thing!

Anyway, these updates have been largely successful, with all user input being preserved and all updates restructured the old data to fit the new setup but unfortunately, bank rules have been left out somehow.

That’s why I think the bank rule lines should be updated along with updates to the receipt and payment lines.

I believe this should go into bugs.

The time estimate included using batch update. Every year I update the bank rules so it posts to the correct accounts for that year. So I can’t just bulk update all at once - I have to do this iteratively and then comb through the transactions to ensure the correct rules are applied to the correct transactions.

For now, I’ve managed to get version history on the source file through Google Drive, and have airdropped that to my old mac. So I can work with this for now, but it’s obviously not a long term solution.

Why do you have a separate account for each month?

That does not seem a normal way of recording accounting entries.

I don’t see evidence of this. The upgrade script has taken care of bank rules too. This would explain why we haven’t seen this issue before. And also why OP couldn’t see this issue in another business using almost identical setup. Also, this was something that was done early 2021 but OP claims to be upgrading from version released in 2022.

That’s good. So when you look at the payment/receipt rule screen now, does it look correct? That is control account being selected first, then special account?

This make more sense.

I thought that it was the bank rules since the transaction in question is from November 2022. But this completely changes the scenario especially since @lubos confirmed this:

That could mean that obsolete bank rules were batch created or updated by the user in a newer version.

@SheldonSwanepoel, in addition to this:

could you also confirm whether bank rules were batch created or updated?