Backup Notifications

Hi Guys
I hope you are all well.
I would like to find out if there is a way of getting notifications to make backups when you close the manager.
I work with 10 people that use manager for their quotes and had a busy week so far where 2 people did not do backups of their quotes and had their hard drives replaced and they lost almost everything because they forget to do back ups.
if it is possible to create a pop up to remind them to make backups would be amazing.
thank you guys for the amazing work you guys do

1 Like

I am not sure if there is any but it may be a good opportunity for you to consider cloud version. Your team will work on the same accounting system and you do not have to worry about somebody not backing up.

I have looked into the cloud version, the problem I have is with the amount of times we sit without electricity and internet for 2 hours a day and some points for the whole day no work can happen because the internet towers go down. we work even if there is no power. the desktop version works better for that as we all work on laptops. another thing is I have brought a few other small companies onto manager that doesn’t have bookkeepers and they also forget to make backups on a regular basis.

I think this is a general IT question. Just out of curiosity: when and where do you backup all other documents?

I personally do backups once a week on a Friday to the companies external HDD. But as a bookkeeper I have trained myself to be religious with backups. other people might need a little reminder.

Backup should be done predominantly automatically

• Good solutions supports consolidation to days, weeks and months
  • regular backup validation and
  • enables the administrator to choose the frequency of backup, and
  • duration of retention of intra daily, daily, weekly and monthly backups.
  • available options depend on what operating system your server uses

User backups are additional to the automated backups.

Both are separate to mirrors of the current version.

Your situation is really not suitable for the desktop edition. Nor would your suggestion solve any problem. You have not explained any method by which 10 separate users’ entries are consolidated into a common database. So it sounds like these 10 people are just using Manager as a word processing program to produce quotes, not to do accounting. You should convert them to preparing quotes on a word processor.

Further, people who pay no attention to a policy requiring backups will very quickly learn to ignore a reminder to do the same. A problem like yours will not be resolved by modifying a program edition meant for a single user. Your solution should be to use the server edition on an intranet. That would free you from internet outages. And backup power supplies would free you from the electrical outages.

1 Like

If I may give my 2 cents worth. I use the desktop version. I have the program installed on a laptop and a desktop. I have the Manager folder path point to cloud storage on both. You can use something like Dropbox, Box, Mega, pCloud.
In my case I use dropbox. It work wonders. Every time you update data in Manager, it automatically updates the cloud immediately. So you have immediate backups every time. Even if you have no internet when you enter data, the minute you restore connection the file will update to the cloud.
So in the event that your computer breaks, you can just install the program and point to the cloud folder again. I have tried it and it works.

Just a thought… It has been mentioned.

1 Like

Sorry but that is not a backup but a cloud storage that is used for live interactions with Manager. It is indeed a good solution for a single user but not for multiple users. There is a serious risk that it will never show in history who worked on what or who messes up or not. Furthermore someone could accidentally delete a business and as you have not worked on creating real backups on another storage environment then the active one it will be lost for ever. So even though you use the cloud you still must create backup files and store these elsewhere.

Your desktop computer does at the moment not store any Manager live data only the cloud server.

Eko, noted, but remember 99% of cloud storage solutions (Mega, Dropbox, pCloud, Box) create a local folder and then write to the cloud. Nonetheless, it works for me.
Was trying to help, but there is nothing anyone can do about is flaky internet.

@ZAFMike indeed localy sync folders exist, but if you delete a business in Manager on the cloud it will also delete it on the local sync folder hence the need to still make backups. As you may make proper systems backups regularly of your desktop environment you may restore such but it may not sync back to the cloud as you wish for.

I agree. Sounds like a recipe for data corruption. Even if you use cloud sync, it’s very likely that you will have overwrite that will cause some data loss every now and then due to internet outages.

@Ubuntu4, maybe you should consider other solutions. If the cloud isn’t an option, then how about a local server? That seems like a possible solution to me.

It all gets consolidated on my PC as I make out the Invoices and do the bookkeeping routine.
But its fine. Ill go to everyone’s PC’s and make the backups every week on my external. I was just hoping there was a way to get notifications to back up like sage pastel has when you close the program. Thank you for the assistance guys.