Auto-numbering invoices algorithm

My previous system numbered invoices by date, like YYMMDDXX. Some were outstanding when I switched to Manager, so those are entered in the system. I have now moved to simple sequential numbers, but the auto-numbering doesn’t follow the pattern; it seems to look for the invoice with the highest number, and then increment by one.

I tried the following, to no avail:

• Add letters to the beginning or end of the invoice number, so it wouldn’t be recognized as a sequence.
  • Add a negative sign to the front of the number, hoping they would then not be the maximum “number.”
  • Move the invoice number to a different field. (But the auto-numbering then ends up assigning a new, bogus invoice number.)

What is the best way to accomplish this?

That is exactly how all autonumbering in Manager works.

I think there are two options:

1. If you are altering your invoice numbers to show the year, such as 16XXX, Manager will still auto-number. You just have to manually set the first invoice of the new year. In this case, you can choose an artificially low number, such as just XXX, and Manager will keep the XXX, not auto-number to something else, and maintain the sequence for new invoices. This is a pretty convenient thing to do, in my opinion, even if you don’t have the problem you’ve described.

2. Let Manager auto-number those outstanding invoices, but put a comment in the Notes field indicating what they originally were. Hopefully there weren’t a lot and they will soon be paid and cleared from Accounts receivable.

There have been at least a couple of conversations here about custom sequences for invoice numbering, either by prepending the date to the invoice number (e.g., 20160729001) or by prepending the customer code (e.g., ABC-00001). Neither of these suggestions made it to the Roadmap.

Thanks for the responses! I ended up moving the old invoice number to the PO field, and entering 0 in each invoice number field so that it wouldn’t auto-number. It would be nice to have more flexibility in the numbering options, but this workaround suffices for now.

Guys,

Auto incremental invoice number is not getting generated. I’m using cloud version. Please advise.

I cannot duplicate such a problem. Are you aware that the number is only generated as the invoice is created, not while you are entering information? The reason for this is to prevent multiple or out of order invoices when several users are working on invoices simultaneously or when an invoice is started, but not completed.