Add password to pdf

Is there a way to add password to PDF or when sending PDF attachments through email?

I am speaking specifically for the Payslip, which is a P&C document. We send email to employees and occasionally download the pdf to send via Whatsapps. But this document can be easily viewed by anyone if it fell into the wrong hand. To avoid this, is there a way to add a password to the pdf?

While I don’t use this feature, I concur that payslips should be password protected. They are deemed highly confidential by many people. I am sure that Manager could add functionality to password protect the pdf - as Manager is not creating the pdf, but rather a 3rd party addon program is. They must have coding already for this.

As stated, Manager does not provide this at this point.

If it is very important, then you can download and use GhostScript Here is an article on how to do it. (I have no affiliation with this page, it just happened to be #1 in google) How to Encrypt PDF Documents with GhostScript for Free

I mainly use it to merge and split pdf’s but have found it’s a very useful utility to have when needed.

Thanks @MarkLL, your suggestion is great if it is only one or two pdf. But we have 70 employees, and if we to implement that, my hr personnel would literally scream for the time-wasting on encrypting pdf one-by-one. It would be great to have this feature out of the box from the Manager itself.

To add to the suggestion, password that uses data from the “form field” of the employees database or the ability to set custom passwords eg {dateofbirth}{employeeid} and so on.

@success127, don’t know if this solves your issue but here is an idea. Make a new Google account with Gmail address which only the employee processing payslips can access. For all employess this would be the email address used in the Employees module in the payslip business in Manager. For this new Google account a new folder is made in Google Drive for each employee. This is a couple of clicks but should be tolerable as is only done once. The folder sharing is set so only each employee’s personal email address can access the corresponding folder. An email rule is set up in the payslip Gmail inbox based on specific text in email Subject, like the name of the employee, which is used to save the attached PDF into each employee’s specific folder. This is all automatic.

The only “heavy lifting” is when payslips are sent out, but then the payslips employee would have to Ctrl-click View for each payslip so each payslip opens in new tab in a browser. All payslips are opened in a tab before starting to email. Then for each tab click email and close tab and repeat for next tab.

If an employee wants to access a payslip through Whatsapp, a link to their corresponding folder can be sent to them in Whatsapp and only that employee and no one else can authenticated with personal Gmail password.

My suggestion would be to extend the customer portal so that employees can view their payslips under an employee portal, be given the option to update their bank details - subject to pending approval by accounts and possibly view their contract details, terms and conditions etc there.

Most of the functionality for this is already in place with the customer portal. It would just basically be a case of showing different tabs to employees, to customers and to suppliers.

yes, that is ofcourse a better solution if/when it arrives. Lets hope customer portal gets “extended” for employees

and here’s to hoping employees do not include a hacker :wink:

…and talking about hope, lets hope Lubos will address this in a safely manner :slight_smile: