Add "Deposit" to total due

G’day,

I have a photography business which charges a %25 deposit to confirm the booking.

Am I able to add a line item to an invoice which doesn’t add on to the total?

EG:
Photographer X 1 Hr @ $50.00
Deposit Due: $12.50
Total: $50.00

I have tried adding a line item but it adds that $12.50 to the total.

I have also tried a custom field but it is manual and there is the potential for user error (as always). I would like something to automatically calculate this and print it on the invoice for me.

Thank you!

1 Like

A deposit due should not appear on a sales invoice for the reason that it should already have been paid to you by the time you issue the sales invoice. Notice that a required deposit should be a condition of the contract, expressed as a note in a custom field on a sales quote. The sales quote could also be issued as a pro forma invoice. See Create sales quotes | Manager.

Acceptance of the deposit should be recorded on a receipt, posted to the customer’s subaccount under Accounts receivable, as explained in this Guide: Record customer deposits and advances | Manager. To avoid mistakes, the receipt could be copied from the sales quote mentioned above.

When the sales invoice is ultimately issued, the deposit will be automatically deducted from the balance due, as also explained in the second Guide linked above.

1 Like

Thank you @Tut

Is there a way to auto calc & display this calculation on a quote?

Showing the deposit amount is good but You don’t need itit. You can show the percentage of deposit required.

Example

30% downpayment to confirm the booking.

Use Form Defaults to make the field and the content default.

Thank you, we would like a $ amount shown to reflect what is on our customer agreement.

Manager will not automatically calculate amounts. But it will allow you to enter calculations into the unit price field. See the Guide about calculations: Perform calculations in number fields | Manager.

A custom theme can do exactly that.

@Tropilac, the capability @Ealfardan refers to is introduced in this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/17115. That Guide is not, however, a complete tutorial. I should have been more explicit in my earlier response. Manager will not do what you want on its own, meaning there is no built-in option or control. But you can create a custom theme that will perform that function if you have or can hire the necessary programming talent.

1 Like

Thanks @Tut for cleaning up after me :sweat_smile:.

Absolutely true, but it also links to an external resource on Liquid, which is lays down the fundamentals of the templating language used.

I highly recommend investing a little bit of time to go through it before throwing in the towel.