[17.4.0] Phasing out "Application Data" folder in desktop edition

The file is normally hidden, so it will not show in a search. Procedures for revealing hidden files vary by operating system. This is not a Manager issue.

Hi, I’m probably being a bit thick here but I’m also having problems with the new Manager version. I’ve kept my old one and installed the new version as I wanted to move my Manager files into one area. No problem in the new version opening the existing files in their existing locations. However, as a test, I moved one of the renamed files onto the desktop but left the file with all the zeros in the original location. I tried to open the file from the desktop and got an SQLException telling me it was either corrupt or not a proper database file. So, I’m obviously doing something wrong here.

Is anyone able to tell me whether or not I should just be able to move the renamed files and they should open from the new location, or whether I need to move all .Manager files regardless of type so the new version of Manager will open.

Sorry if this a dumb question but I want to make sure all the files open before I remove the older version of the software. Thanks to all for your help with this.

There is a revamped Guide under Best Practices called Application Data that will furnish background.

Once the renamed file has been moved, Open it using the new home page capability, not by directly double-clicking. This will establish the file on the Recent list. Make sure you are then launching the correct data file based on data paths shown.

Thanks Tut, I’ll go check it out. Just to clarify though, when I said I opened the file from the desktop, what I meant was I opened the file I had placed on the desktop through Manager using the “Open” button and that’s when I go the error message.

I know that hidden files aren’t a Manager issue. the point is that the download for the the newer version does not work. I don’t even know why it tries to open that file in the 1st place. Wouldn’t it be easier if you erased the file from the download ?
Thanks

Hi, thanks for the help Tut, it just the right push in the right direction. The problem I had came from the fact I use a Mac and I still find the whole OS thing a bit of a mystery. By following the paths in the new Manager I found the files, moved them around and they all opened okay. The guide was key in helping to identify what files to look for e.g. Size, Recent, and Language. So thanks again, for your help, you’re a star !

Another user with the same problem - downloaded / re-installed the update again and made this comment:

“Ok I’ve successfully re-installed the update. This time, instead of getting the error about the -psn account, it went straight into Manager and I was able to “remove” the dummy business. I don’t know what I did differently.”

To be honest, I have no idea where this -psn_0_3847083 file is coming from. It’s not something universally observed by every user.

So far it seems to be only related to Mac users, no Window users have reported it occurring.

If it’s only happening to Mac users who’ve been upgrading, then I’m not really concerned about that. It’s easy to remove it and going forward new users shouldn’t see it anyway. So the problem will eventually go away on its own.

Correct! Today I upgraded from 17.4.14 to 17.4.21 and this file came back.
(MacOS sierra)

No problem.

@ntrim What are you saying, that after each upgrade this psn “business” reappeared even though you had previously removed it ?

Hi. Just to add info I have tried to download several times with the same result; also changed my mac settings so that It shows hidden files but so far hadn’t found the mentioned file. I have Manager 17.1.33 installes and working.

Yep! Moments ago, I installed again the version 17.4.21. I had 17.4.21 already with “psn business” removed.

The -psn_0_548998 reappeared!

I noticed that when I open Manager, after the update, the first screen is this psn business and NOT the “Home” screen (list of businesses).

OK, that means there is only one way where this is coming from.

At least now I know why it’s happening. Could you try the latest version (17.4.22) to see whether you still get -psn_0_548998 issue?

1 Like

Hello. Good news. From what ntrim posted and your response, I decided to do several things to see if I came with a different result. 1st closed all applications, closed my other Manager ver . before downloading. Turned off the computer to start fresh, dowloaded and IT WORKED. Thank you for your patience and help.

@BaldeSeca, your version predates the change that is being discussed in this topic. You will not encounter this situation until you update, as it is related to the change introduced with version 17.4.0.

I just downloaded and installed 17.4.22 and did not see the -psn_XXXXXXXXX problem.

1 Like

I too just installed 17.4.22 and the -psn- problem is gone.

@lubos In the interests of consistency as well as making the gui more intuitive, can I suggest that for windows you have the top bar as Backup - then in the middle - Company Name and on the Right hand side have the minimise, maximise and close buttons so that one can minimise or close the business. With windows, the min, max and close buttons are on the right hand side of the screen - even in Manager to close the program you have them on the RHS.

In Mac, the min, max, close is on the LHS - then the company name in the middle and then you could have Backup on the RHS of the menu.

I feel that this would make it very clear how to close a business, minimise a business and also be consistent with the operating system (windows/mac) format - in windows people expect to find the min, max and close on the RHS.

Or instead of minimising a business would you consider an option to tab a business, so you could in theory have ten businesses open in tabs? I would not use this, but this may be useful to accountants who want to have multiple business alongside. Also an option of having tab functionality like this in Manager would be to enable one to create a new supplier in one tab whilst creating a new purchase invoice in another tab? Granted they are not the same concept as one business per tab, but I am just highlighting that instead of just closing a business, having the ability to tab multiple businesses or having a tab open journal entries in one business and chart of accounts in the second tab for some business would make it easier to do end of year accounts to use one example if you need to edit different parts of the program to accomplish whatever the task at hand is. As Manager is based on a web browser functionality, it might make sense to introduce tabbed browsing, closing browser tabs etc

New Tab could go to home page (list of all businesses) like a browser home page!

However if you want min,max and close concept if you could make the close in red exactly as you have it in the windows and mac screens that would also make it more visible and consistent with windows and mac gui’s - having a grey close button on a grey background does not stand out.