Lost business files when updating to Manager v24.3.5.1340

I’ve just updated to v 24.3.5.1340 and reopened Manager on Mac OS to find that my businesses are all missing. How can I located the folder they are in to direct Manager to them? Why has this happened? It shouldn’t have.

I have backups but shouldn’t have to use them after an upgrade, surely?

Thanks
Martyn

What version did you update from?
What version of Mac OS are you using?

Not sure. V21….Past couple of months. I always stay up to date.

That would mean 2021 So definitely not past couple of months or up to date.

Using Mac Sonoma 14.3.1.
Last updated few weeks ago. Recently updated Mac a few days ago.
Martyn

I can replicate this and have put the topic into bugs. I don’t know whether the bug extends to other operating systems. But it definitely happens when updating to v23.3.5.1340 under macOS 14.2.1.

@muffin, your files are not gone. They just are not pointed to automatically after the update. You can import them from your application data folder at its former hidden location: /Users/username/.local/share/Manager.

You can toggle the display of hidden folders on and off by simultaneously pressing CMD + SHIFT + . (period/full stop). This is a macOS feature, not a Manager feature.

EDIT: Changed text above to reference the old application data folder default location. (See post #10 below.)

Very helpful reply, Tut.
Thanks

Hi Tut

That keystroke combo doesn’t work for me.

I’m kind of confused how this happens.

The black rectangle in the lower left corner indicates which folder is being “scanned” for Manager files. Did the path in black rectangle change after the update?

Aaahhhhhh….yes, it did. I had not noticed that. I’ve just relied on the location saved by the OS for the main menu’s Go to Folder… command whenever I wanted to navigate to my application data folder. Previously, it was:

/Users/username/.local/share/Manager

After the update, it became:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Manager

My business data files were at the old location. After importing them all, of course, they are at the new one, too. At the new location, I have no language file, because I have not changed languages since the update. And I do not yet have a Trash file, because I have not removed any businesses from that location. But I also see I have no index file. Has the necessity for the index file been deprecated?

To me personally, the new location makes more intuitive sense. But you need to figure a way to handle, or at least announce, the transition.

Then you didn’t use it correctly. It absolutely works, and is a long-time feature of macOS. Maybe you just are not noticing its effect. Nothing dramatic happens. But when you are in a Finder window and toggle on hidden files, they appear in grey text with somewhat faded icons. If there are no hidden files in the folder you are viewing, you will not see any change. For complete explanation and illustration, go to macOS Help and search for “hidden files.”

Hi Tut
Was, wrongly, expecting to use that combo at the Manager Business page to reveal a box of hidden manager files next to the black file location box.

I think you are referring to a general toggle to reveal hidden files within Mac Finder to reveal all hidden files. Am I correct?

OK, the latest version (24.3.10) will use /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Manager for new users.

But if you are upgrading, the folder should be still the old /Users/username/.local/share/Manager

This would affect only Mac users. Windows and Linux users are unaffected.

Yes.

Local version on Mac iOS 14.4 Sonoma
Manager version 24.3.10.1347

What is the exact file name I should be looking for (after upgrading from …3.5…), I cannot locate the file (even when un-hidng the hidden files).

No one can answer that question but you. The general form of the old application data folder location was given in post #10 above. You must substitute your own user name. The names of the actual data files depend on the names of your business(es).

Thank you for the clarification. I got lost somewhere about the 0000…00000000 file referenced in some of the earlier (unrelated? ) correspondence about Manager files.