Is the Trial Balance report working?

When I run a Trial Balance, the amounts are blank. When I run Profit and Loss or Balance Sheet reports, I get amounts; therefore, P&L and BS appear to work.

Here are my specifications for the Trial Balance report:

And here is the version of Manager I’m using:

Version

And here is the resulting Trial Balance report:

You see, I am getting no amounts, not even zeros.

I’m checking whether it is just me or whether anybody else gets blank amounts for a Trial Balance report. Maybe someone can point out what I’m not specifying correctly if it is just me.

look good here

Please show the edit screen of a teansaction that you think should appear in the Trial Balance report and does not show up

You may have either a corrupted installation of Manager or are not using the version you think you are. For a very long time, the Trial Balance report has included either “Accrual basis” or “Cash basis” in the heading, depending on which is selected, like this (from the same version number):

Your report does not include that element. As a first step, try deleting the report and recreating it with the same definition you showed. (That looked fine.)

EDIT: Thinking further about this, there may be one other possibility. The default data application folder location changed at version 24.3.5.1340. This resulted in apparent disappearance of businesses. A fix was supposedly introduced at v24.3.10.1347. This only affected Mac users. Possibly, the fix still requires you to re-import your businesses from the old data application folder location. In other words, you might not be looking at the business data file you think you are.

1 Like

@Tut,

I liked your response. It made a lot of sense and showed understanding. Unfortunately, recreating the report from scratch and backing up and reimporting the business did not change the results. So, the trial balance looks the same as in my first post.

In addition, I tried restarting the cloud server:

…an option the cloud version users have. Unfortunately, my idea did not change the result either.

Still, I think it’s good that we are attempting to make sure this is a problem before asking Lubos.

Is anyone who is using the cloud edition getting or not getting a trial balance report?

@Mabaega and @Joe91, are you using the cloud edition of Manager like me?

Please show a screenshot of the P&L report for the same period (1/1/2023) and also of the Balance Sheet (use 12/31/2023)

Actually, shouldn’t the specification for the trial balance be more like the specification for the balance sheet?

I’m very rusty on this. But I’m thinking that you want the trial balance to show the balance of every account as of a specified date. And the transactions should be all transactions from the beginning of time up to the specified date. So, one date should be specified, not a range.

For a profit and loss statement, you don’t want all transactions from the beginning of time. You want from the beginning of a period to the end of a period. So, for profit and loss, you need to specify two dates, the beginning and the ending.

I think my trial balance specification (the first post) looks similar to the profit and loss specification. But it ought to look like the balance sheet specification.

Am I mixed up?

For @eko, here is a portion (because of sensitive information) of the P&L:

That is categorically incorrect.

And your last screenshot is a balance sheet, not a P&L statement.

Oh yes, @Tut. That was indeed the balance sheet. Here is the P&L:

In the samples in this post, I don’t see the From date showing. I only see the To date. So, I thought maybe you don’t need to exclude transactions before a From date. And if you would exclude transactions before a From date, wouldn’t the trial balance amounts be wrong? It just looked like Manager was only using the To date to produce a trial balance.

That P & L report doesn’t show Cash or Accrual basis

There is something not right

Please show the full screen - the list of tabs js not fully visible

It is always best to show full screens- you nay not mnow but all the information on a screen is useful for diagnosing errors

@Joe91,

Thank you for taking an interest. Here is a more complete P&L and the specification:

Why does your business name start with a . i.e. “.Indifer…”?

1 Like

Loooks luke a backup - the date suffix is added to business name

Cash or Accrual does not show in report headings unless there has been 1 invoice (either Sales or Purchase) entered. The OP must be using only Receipts & Payments and/or only Journal Entries.

The Trial Balance displays blank for zero balances, unlike other reports that display a “-” (dash/hyphen) for zero balances.

That does not explain why there are not amounts for Taxes and Licenses expense 346.00, and Employee Benefits expenses 17,532.41, Communications expenses 2,494.38 and Equipment expense 122.99 (as per your P&L report).
One thing that puzzles me - why have you blacked out (redacted) the Software Sales amount in the P&L report? - surely that amount would be zero and be showing as a dash.

Try changing the Trial Balance settings to exclude zero balances and see what effect that has.

I think this needs to be examined more closely.

@Indinfer, what operating system are you using?

Edit: Irrelevant since it’s on the Cloud

This P&L Statement is very confusing. You labelled a lot Net Profit (Loss) and more surprising you have another “Net Profit/Loss After Carryovers” at the very end while Manager usually has the preceding Net Profit/Loss at the end of the form. So this raises questions about the setup of your Chart of Accounts. Also curious if Trial Balance actually ever worked for you, especially that you are on Cloud edition?

This discussion is incomplete and thus irresolvable. @Indinfer was asked to show transactions during 2023 that are not reflected in the trial balance, but has not done so. And key entries on reports are inconveniently obscured. The unfortunate reality is that, at every stage, willing collaborators have been denied necessary troubleshooting information. Several have tried to extract necessary revelations without success. The only possible conclusion is that @Indinfer has so far not proven any problems exist.

@Indinfer, please do yourself a favor and completely illustrate the situation.

Prefixing period or dot in front of the name is a way to get the three businesses I am currently using to sort to the top of the list.

That has not answered the questions previously asked

I wonder if you are really looking for help or just wasting everyone’s time

1 Like

Thank you to everybody for helping me figure this out.

I finally thought of trying the report on the desktop edition. I thought, “The desktop edition is free so that it won’t cost me anything. It is easy to back up and restore a business. So why not?”

1. I viewed the trial balance. Got the same report with blank amounts.
  2. I viewed the P&L. I got the same report with the amounts showing properly.

So, I proved that Cloud and Desktop editions don’t make any difference in the reports. This result indicates that @Tut is correct that something is corrupted. Now, I think the difference between the trial balance I get and the correct trial balance that everyone else gets is the data file. I think the indication is that my data file is corrupted.

Does anyone know of a procedure that usually uncorrupts corrupted files? It’s got to be something other than backing up and importing because I had to do that to try the reports in the desktop edition.

Is it time to ask Lubos?