Where Do Bank Payment Attachments Go/Store?

Just a quick one - when you make a bank payment, upon viewing the entry you can add an attachment. This way I can log an expense - say petrol - and then attach the receipt. My question is, do I need to keep the original JPG of the receipt on the computer or does the image get encoded into the Manager database and I can safely delete the JPG?

Also, can the devs add / is there now an option to add the attachment during the entry instead of trying to find each one after it’s been entered… and if it currently exists (I got Manager years ago) is there some kind of auto update feature or do I just install the latest version and it updates and keeps all the current data?

Thanks

As a backup you can.

The attachment will be part of your manager data file. As long have a proper backup policy in place your data should be safe.

What version of Manager are you using?

There are additional steps to update from very old versions

It is good practise to update your Manager version regularly, at least once a quarter

Details for updating your manager version
https://www.manager.io/guides/22936

If you have multiple attachment for the same transaction it may then become tricky. I does not serve much purpose to do so since the current method serves the same purpose. I have used other cloud accounting system, some do not have an option to attach supporting documents and those that do have they do the same process as manager.

Next try to separate your questions so that you can be assisted properly on your questions.

That’s great thank you. I’ll make sure I have an offsite backup too, that will save me clogging up my PC with JPGs of receipts

If you have multiple attachment for the same transaction it may then become tricky. I does not serve much purpose to do so since the current method serves the same purpose.

Basically at the moment (I’ll look at updating just now) I have to create the bank payment, then click through about 3 times to find the entry and add the attachment. Ideally I’d like to see the option to “add attachement” on the same page as the form to fill in all of the details

16.12, I’ve only just started using it again this week, I often use Sage but have side work that is more suited to logging in Manager. Good to see it’s still going with an active community though! I’ll check out the updates pages

@Cinobite, you are definitely going to need to update in stages because you are thousands of updates behind and the automatic conversion script for the new database structure was removed from the program about two years ago.

Two points:

• Whenever you Create a new transaction, such as a payment, you are automatically taken to the View screen for that transaction, where you can add attachments. No searching or clicking is involved.
  • Attachments are not associated with Edit screens, where data about a transaction is entered. They are associated with View screens. So that part of your request is not feasible.