Weight of Products

Please could you add support for “weight” concept into Manager?

We need a way to be able to calculate the total weight of products in a delivery note or invoice.

Thank you!

8 Likes

I support this Idea.

I think you will find this is already implemented. If all line items on these transactions have the same unit of measure, you will see a total. Now, this will not add kg and lbs, only quantities of the same unit of measure.

@Tut Still that won’t tell us the total weight of the invoice. Plus it will not tell us much about an invoice weight if more than one variety.
The only way to do this (if doable) for now is to have custom field for item weight and multiply qty by weight on the invoice using custom themes, which I have no idea how to do.

It actually does. When all items of the Invoice have as unit of measure for example Kg then a total of the number of Kg will appear on the Invoice, check with default theme.

I think what @BawarYassin means is that if 3 items of 250g are sold in one line and 7 items of 300g are sold in the next line, the total weight of 2850g wouldn’t appear because Manager doesn’t do an extra multiplication calculation.

Item     | Weight | Qty | Tot Wgt | Price | Total
Coffee A |    250 |   3 |     750 |   100 |   300
Coffee B |    300 |   7 |    2100 |   150 |  1050

What probably needs to happen to get the correct total weight is for line 1 to say 750g and line 2 to say 2100g and then one’s pricing per item needs to be adjusted to a price per g.

Item     |  Qty | Price | Total
Coffee A |  750 |  0.40 |   300
Coffee B | 2100 |  0.50 |  1050

Not sure if that can be done via a custom field…

1 Like

You don’t need a custom field. In your example, you need both Coffee A and Coffee B to be defined with units of grams. Then, the Qty column heading will change to Grams and a total will be calculated.

Alternatively, calculations definitely can be performed with custom fields in a custom theme. See the Guide:
https://www.manager.io/guides/17115

2 Likes

It cannot be done using custom field yet. But I’m working on new implementation of custom fields which is going to solve quite a few topics in ideas category including this one.

4 Likes

i have all quantities in pcs and still I do not get an automated total.

Please pist the edit and view screen of an invoice

The problem seems to be that it is a custom theme…

The issue for me is that I have different units of measurement. I am selling liquids that are measured in litre or packages as a dozen of 12 or 9. But when loading a truck for example I need to know the weight in kg or ton to account for the capacity limit of the vehicle.

@Giorgos_Arnakis that is a correct conclusion. Custom themes as of recent do not inherit new developments that are exposed to the now hidden default theme. By hidden I mean that if you create a new business and click on themes it doesn’t show you any theme. You can still create a theme but even that theme will not inherit some of the functionality of the hidden theme.

We all have to wait as per many discussions on the recent developments to replace custom themes with something else where footers are an example of what is about to come.

@BawarYassin, you cannot expect an accounting program to fully manage all operations related to shipping. Packaged or as-sold weight is one of those things, in my opinion. Would you also expect the program to account for the weight of a box, or packaging material inside it, or dunnage between pallets on a truck? And what if you trim the stems of flowers; will you reduce weight of inventory items? Again, I doubt it. What belongs in your accounting system is the unit of measure by which you count, buy, and sell. Many products can even have different shipping weights depending on how they are sold, or with what other products. The add-on for shipping materials when shipping one unit is different than when the same item is packed with other goods in the same order.

My point is that I believe shipping weights are almost always going to be customized information, determined at the time of shipping. While that information might go into a custom field on an invoice or delivery note, it really cannot be part of inventory item management.

1 Like

I agree with and I’m not expecting Manager to handle logistics for me. In my shipping process, I have 40 invoices and 3 small trucks. The most cost-effective way to distribute these invoices is to arrange them by destination so that each truck has its territory assigned to it when loading. My inventory manager will have to go through each invoice and estimate how much it will weigh based on qty alone. This takes a lot of time and the whole process is prone to errors.

Coming to my point, I believe there are many businesses that would follow the same process. This would be a very practical feature that could be utilized for other aspects of the program like inventory transfers as well.

edit: hit sent before finising.

That is probably best handled with a custom field. There is actually an example of this in the Guide about custom fields. To do more would require turning Manager into routing software.

That may be. But you are asking that accounting personnel do the same thing, which would probably take even more time and cause more errors. Your shipping manager is the one with the most expertise in this area, not some accounting clerk.

It’s not the same thing an accountant will enter the weight of the item once and that’s it. The rest of the calculations are done automatically (qty times weight) then the total weight of invoice items would be shown somewhere on the invoice.
I will be waiting for @lubos implementation before attempting to do it with custom fields and custom themes.

Normally you don’t use info about cartons, weights, m³ on an invoice but on a delivery note/packing list (the OP’s original idea).

1 Like

I disagree, we never use delivery notes and use units of measure in all our invoices. Maybe you meant to say something differently?