Trouble Importing Bank Statement (accounting for ebay fee)

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with importing my eBay sales record in CVS format into the Server edition of Manager. Interestingly, when I import the same CVS file into the Desktop edition, it works perfectly. (Pictures Attached)

Here’s the problem: The transaction from eBay has two parts, a credit, and a debit. In the Desktop edition, Manager handles this by adding an extra line for the debit entry (representing the eBay fee) and correctly balances the total amount. However, when I try to import this same transaction into the Server edition, it only brings in one part, either the debit or the credit.

I’ve attempted to upload both parts of the transaction separately, but I can’t figure out how to combine them within the Server edition. I’ve gone through the guides and searched the forums for solutions. I also tried using Bank rules to address this, but nothing seems to work.

I even converted the CVS file to QFX format to see if that would help, but I’m still encountering the same issue. I’ve tested this across different versions of Manager and even on the Server edition running on a Mac.

Additionally, while exploring the Receipt section for batch creation, I noticed that the columns in the Desktop and Server editions appear to be different.

I’d greatly appreciate any assistance or insights you can provide to help resolve this importing issue. Thank you in advance for your help!

CVS Sheet

Desktop Edition Result

Server Edition Result

Hi @Aliuk100,

What’s the version on your Desktop vs Server editions?

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.
Desktop Version: 22.7.15
Server Edition Version: 23.5.24.827

I have been importing this sheet every day on desktop edition since long.

Thanks

You cannot expect similar behavior from program versions hundreds of releases apart. And no one can help you troubleshoot a problem that may no longer exist. Start by updating both editons. Even your server edition is a couple hundred versions out of date.

1 Like

I recall once there’s been an issue with importing multiple columns which was solved but I am having trouble finding the topic.

Anyway, you should follow @Tut’s advice and update.

Hi,

I appreciate your responses. I took your advice and updated the Desktop edition to the latest version. Surprisingly, it’s now displaying the same behavior as the Server edition, meaning both versions are only importing one part of the transaction.

Since my core issue revolves around handling transactions with both debit and credit components (a functionality I had in previous versions), I’m wondering if you or anyone else has suggestions on how to handle such transactions now.

For instance, I have a transaction worth £12.49 with a fee of £1.97, resulting in a net amount of £10.52 (as per images above). How can I accurately represent this type of transaction in the current versions of Manager.io? Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Why are you surprised? Desktop, Server and Cloud versions are the same except that Cloud and Server Editions allow for multiple users and user permissions. The difference between Cloud and Desktop is available at https://www.manager.io/compare/

The difference between Cloud and Server Edition is that this is hosted by yourself so you would take care yourself on your own server of for example:

• Automatic Backups
  • Automatic Updates

Thank you for providing clarification on the similarities and differences between the Desktop, Server, and Cloud versions of Manager.io. I appreciate your insight into these distinctions.

Given this, my primary concern remains with the handling of transactions that have both debit and credit components, as I was able to manage them differently in older versions. If there are any specific steps or suggestions you or the community can offer regarding this, I would greatly appreciate it.

As mentioned earlier, I have a transaction of £12.49 with a fee of £1.97, resulting in a net amount of £10.52. Finding the best way to accurately represent such transactions in the current versions of Manager.io is my main objective.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

I can reproduce the behavior.

There seems to be a loss of functionality that hasn’t been announced and we can therefore assume it’s unintentional.

I’m moving this to bugs.

@Aliuk100 when you import CSV file above in the latest version, Manager will see Net column only. It will ignore Grossand Fee columns.

The reason for this behaviour is so when you import transactions, you can then use bank rules to automatically categorize them.

You have basically two options:

You can create bank rules that will calculate fee. For example, if the fee represents 18.7% of the net amount, then… your receipt rule could look like this (yes - you can use negative percentage in receipt rules).

Or you can add up all the fees to get total fee amount and then make a journal entry where you Credit sales account and Debit bank charges.