Tracking Codes - Batch Update

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to do a batch update of tracking codes to transactions in a cash account? I run a small beading group and we’re just about to start at a second venue. As the income and rental relates to two different sites I wanted to keep it separate to track how each of the groups are doing. I’ve allocated each group a code and now want to update all the earlier transactions to relate to the first group, prior to the second venue opening.

If anyone has any ideas or knows how I can to this without trawling through a year of transactions I’d be grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks.

It is not possible to batch update tracking codes as you can’t import financial transactions.
Instead of amending your past transactions, you could do a Journal Entry transferring the current financial year balance from no tracking code to tracking code.

If expense account A has a balance 100, then:
Credit expense account A 100
Debit expense account A 100 tracking code XX

Don’t overlook the fact that if you create new accounts to accomplish this goal, you will be stuck with them forever, because you cannot delete an account once used. That might make trawling through the year’s records to add tracking codes more attractive.

Remember, you would only have to do this for income and expense accounts, not balance sheet accounts. The way to proceed would be to drill down on those accounts from the Summary, then edit transactions in sequence. Depending on exactly how your accounts are organized, some of the transactions and accounts might not even need to be looked at. My message is that retroactively adding the tracking codes for the past year might not be as bad as you think.

To better illustrate the required Journal Entry - no new accounts required

Ahhh…I thought you were creating entirely new accounts, such as A 100 tracking code XX. Your approach is very slick.

Hi, thank you both for replying, sorry for my tardy response. I’ll probably follow Brucannas very sage advice. Much appreciated.