Themes moved under "Obsolete Features"

Why, if you had plans to go away from current Themes implementation to new one, you don’t first do that. Now we are left with 2 possibilities. First to use all new program features and updates, but with no customization at all, and Second to stay with old versions, all use legacy features (until they disappear) and have our styled documents. Very weird choice of workflow and development cycle.

But I’m doing that…

How? Is new JS based theming solution ready? Can I use all new features and still have our customized documents look like before?

Speaking as someone who maintains a mail server and has seen how much malware is spread via html, javascript and macro documents, I will always push for pdf attachments and for people to disable javascript in their pdf viewer program. HTML is a terrible format to use to send invoices as I can guarantee you will have so many problems with email deliverability. Now that Microsoft have permanently disabled macros in office documents by default, malware hackers are turning to html in droves to push their malware.

Pdf’s really is the best way to ensure 100% email deliverability as it is so easy to protect against malware in pdf’s by disabling ability to click on links in pdfs and disabling javascript within pdf’s.

1 Like

@MarV - from post 1

My understanding is that custom themes will only be removed from Manager after the new solution is in place.

Obviously, it does discourage one from making too much use of the custom themes, but hopefully the new implementation will be straight-forward enough to use to easily convert existing custom themes.

Yes they work, as legacy/obsolete feature. None of new things and features work on themes.

Although I don’t agree that Liquid is harder than JS since it’d probably take one day for those with any coding skills. But I can now see why Liquid is being replaced since debugging using the browser tools is easier than no debugging for liquid and finding a JS developer is much easier than a Liquid developer.

It would be great if the user could save their script without leaving the edit screen for JS coding.

1 Like

Not only for web browsers but also for JS to generate PDFs that can replace the Apitron generator you used. Maybe exploring the MIT licensed jspdf - npm could help to return to a system where we can send emails with PDF attachments?

1 Like

Thanks for explaining your thinking on matters.

We need pdf attachments please, inline html will seriously affect email delivery.

I’m using custom theme for showing:

1. Total Amounts in words
  2. Signature Line (Now, I’m using it via Footers)
  3. Column Serial No. (Column Line No) (We are thankful to developer for make this feature, so I remove my code for this)

@Mahfuzur_Rahman, none of those requires a custom theme. All are standard options for sales invoices and can be set as defaults.

I need it for receipts and payments also

I use custom themes in building my custom sales quotes, invoices & receipts templates to match my company paper forms when I print them

I don’t think any of the features you planning to add will allow me to do this, so I am sure removing the custom themes is not a good sign for me to continue using this system because I am not ready to write my invoices twice, once on the manager.io and again on the word to be able to print them on my own paper form

2 Likes

Dear @lubos ,
Is there something at all coming for theming. For the time being we are forced to stay on obsolete versions in everyday using, just because newer versions doesn’t allow to use custom theming with new layout features. And we don’t want, and cannot, use default plain theme for our output documents.

Upgrading to the latest version won’t break your custom themes.

1 Like

That is right but given the fact that often new functionality such as footers do not work with custom themes it would not encourage users to upgrade to newer versions. The only real interface with suppliers and customers is through documents such as invoices and receipts and styling of these to corporate styles is most commonly practiced and helps to distinguish businesses from each other. Any size of business has more styling elements than only pasting a logo. Some have comprehensive and complex needs and have booklets and intranets outlining their compulsory use.

So the question is simple “how can be add styling elements” to invoices, receipts and other external facing documents?

Following your opening post of 9 August I would like to kindly request to look how we for example can resolve some basic elements of corporate styling such as different colours for fonts and table column headers and total as as for example below?

2 Likes

@eko above said it instead of me. Nothing much in latest versions, if I must drive it in “legacy” mode, and always keep an eye on every update if something breaks.
So like above was stated, what is the plan for customizing external documents?

I’m not sure if it was part of this specific update, but I recently updated (haven’t updated for several months) - and now all PDFs exports for invoices now have a sizeable border along all four edges; I had setup a nice looking borderless PDF invoice to e-mail to customers. Upon checking the custom theme (now under obsolete of course), there is nothing else to imply consuming 100% of the page, it seems that the underlying PDF renderer has changed since the last version.

Thankfully I backed up manager, so have reverted to a prior version which renders as expected once again.

The Internal PDF generator is not supported anymore, it’s being kept just to ease the transition.

You can now use the Print button which will provide you with options to set the margins to your personal liking.