Suggestion for purchase invoices

Hello, I’m not sure if this is possible already but I would like to suggest showing both Account and Description (Purchase invoice lines) on the printed documents. Because every time I put description in the transactions, Account won’t show in the View/Print format.

Any ideas/ suggestions about this matter? Thank you!

@elainecpa, please do not divert topics with unrelated questions. Your suggestion has nothing to do with renaming columns on sales invoices. It has been moved to its own topic.

This behavior has nothing to do with putting descriptions in purchase invoice line items specifically.

To elaborate: When no description in the transaction

However, this is the result if with description

The Account- Factory/Plant Supplies Expense is not showing. Is it possible to show both the Account & Description inputs in the View/Print format?

I added a custom field on Purchase Invoice - Line

Upon encoding the Purchase Invoice, I leave the Description field blank and put the details in the custom field.

This results to

I should say that this is not at all helpful if you want to keep track of the items you purchase as part of your inventory. You have to input this in your Inventory Items first.

I did the same, mine was “Specifications”. But I find the Description column more useful one than created custom fields because in the reports- the amounts in blue, when clicked, custom fields won’t show, only the description.

Thank you so much @marofrancia for the response, glad that we shared same sentiment.

Let me elaborate on my earlier response.

Posting accounts are a last resort for designating any line item on any purchase or sales transaction with financial impact. That includes receipts, payments, sales and purchase invoices, debit and credit notes. It does not include no-impact transaction forms like sales and purchase quotes or sales and purchase orders, because they do not include posting accounts.

The way the program works is as follows:

• All sales- and purchase-related forms (those mentioned above with financial impact) require a description of some type.
  • If a Description field includes content, that is used.
  • If the Description field is blank, an item name will be used instead.
  • If there is neither a description or item name, the posting account name will be used.

Note that appearance of the posting account is not the desired result on any form. It is used only to avoid blank, completely unexplained lines with numerical entries. It gives the reader a vague idea what the line item is for. But the intent is for you to always have either an informative item name or a description, and preferably both in situations where both fields exist.

In general, recipients of completed forms should have no reason to know where you have posted transactions. Those who believe this information is important are trying to make a computerized accounting system behave like old-fashioned paper systems. The information is available on screen for those who actually need it. Since the appearance of a posting account is only ever a fallback for situations where the user neglects to use other fields as designed, I do not believe you should hold out hope for your suggested change.

In this concern of mine, I was actually asking for suggestions to whoever knew the hows but if it is actually not possible with the current system’s version, I would like to suggest it- only if feasible and practicable to many.

I understand you Sir @Tut but this suggestion of mine gears towards the transparency of the information to the internal users. For accountants like me, it would be informative to show the account code. In reviewing and approving transactions, it is convenient for the Senior accountant, CFO or any other authority, (with no access to Manager or no time to check on the details of the transaction through the software), to whom the printed invoice is showed (internally), to see what account name is it included AND its description/particulars. With this, the information is more useful to both internal and external users. This