Showing zeros in invoice figures

Sometimes I want to show a zero value in an invoice if I do a Free of Charge (FOC) alteration to a clothing repair. Sometimes, it just isn’t worth charging or I do it as a customer loyalty repair.
Whilst I can put that it is FOC in the description, it would e good to be able to put a zero value in the Value column. If you put zeros, the program removes them. I there a way around this, please?

1 Like

You can use a custom theme for that

Replace this piece of code:

<tr>
            {% for cell in row.cells %}
            <td style="writing-mode: horizontal-tb; border-inline-start-width: 1px; border-inline-start-style: solid; border-inline-start-color: #000; {% if forloop.last == true %} border-inline-end-width: 1px; border-inline-end-style: solid; border-inline-end-color: #000{% endif %}; padding: 5px 10px; text-align: {{ table.columns[forloop.index0].align }}; {% if table.columns[forloop.index0].nowrap %}; white-space: nowrap; width: 80px{% endif %}"> {{ cell.text | newline_to_br }}</td>
            {% endfor %}
</tr>

With this piece of code:

<tr>
            {% for cell in row.cells %}
            <td style="writing-mode: horizontal-tb; border-inline-start-width: 1px; border-inline-start-style: solid; border-inline-start-color: #000; {% if forloop.last == true %} border-inline-end-width: 1px; border-inline-end-style: solid; border-inline-end-color: #000{% endif %}; padding: 5px 10px; text-align: {{ table.columns[forloop.index0].align }}; {% if table.columns[forloop.index0].nowrap %}; white-space: nowrap; width: 80px{% endif %}"> {% if forloop.last %}{{ cell.text | replace: "&nbsp;", 0 }}{% else %}{{ cell.text | newline_to_br }}{% endif %}</td>
            {% endfor %}
</tr>

I think it is a bug or at least something that needs to be fixed:

The first screenshot properly puts the value I typed as 10.

When typing 0 as in screenshot below:

Then the Unit price filed remains blanc rather than displaying 0. So it seems no item is allowed to be of 0 value which should be corrected by @lubos .

That is not correct. The zero value is allowed and known to the program. It is just not displayed. I fail to see the issue here. A line item description with no unit cost or amount is clearly not being added to the total of a transaction.

Please let’s reverse the statement and why would it be an issue to display the 0 value? I put the effort to type 0 rather than leaving the field empty so why would it not be ok to display? What harm will it do? I am eager to learn.

What’s the reason that it isn’t displayed? The issue is that a customer wants to see e.g. Free sample at 0.00 cost.

@bartona type in the normal charges for the item and add a full discount.

2 Likes

To enable the user to display section heading inside the lines like this:

Though these lines will go to suspense, but it’s still possible if you don’t mind that.

There is nothing complicated about the request to display a 0 value when the user enters 0 for the unit price. Similar to @Mark and not like @sharpdrivetek where one would add a discount as the 0 value could be a real 0 value as in offering something completely free. The question remains why is it logical that if I enter 1 as value I can see 1 displayed but when I enter 0 it is not. No drama just requesting @Lubos and others here for a logical explanation rather than complicated workarounds that are just that.

If you want an easy real word example. In the non-profit organizations we support often items are at 0 value and these are not discounted. The items were given free of charge and given away. Record of such is kept in invoices as they easily link to stock. Receipts are 0 valued when leaving stock and so are payments when adding to stock. Not displaying the 0 value is thus a regrettable omission.

As mentioned in my initial message Tut, it would be useful to be able to display a zero value for aesthetic purposes and to draw attention to the receiver that they have not been charged for an item that has been carried out as a Free of charge gesture

Idk know about other member but I feel like I am missing something here, because it seems to me that @sharpdrivetek just provided a solution here

@bartona and @eko if you could explain how this doesn’t work we can all be on the same page.

He did not as in my explanation. When you receive goods at 0 cost and give them away then there is no such thing as a discount.

Even a for profit business may give things away without discounting them as part of their charitable or corporate social responsibiliy activities.

So your problem is how Manager classifies these values

quantity unit price Manager interpretation
non zero number non zero number display and use numbers as shown
blank / no value entered non zero number display quantity as blank but interpret as 1
blank / no value entered blank / no value entered don’t display either numbers or calculated numbers or tax codes. Used to enter white space or descriptions
non zero number zero (0) the case of contention, useful for free samples or ex gratis service

I think it is a reasonable idea.

1 Like

I’m sure this does work, but it is not a solution, but rather a workaround. I do not want to show that I am giving a 100% discount on something - rather that the item is not charged for in the first place which I believe is completely different

When typing 0 the display of it means zero value in numeric terms. Displaying nothing means there is an empty value that does not indicate anything. This is referred to as a null value and is different from 0-value.

If that’s the way then I like it.

I agree with you. Free samples don’t have a commercial value hence the unit price should be 0 and not empty. Not showing a unit price looks very amateuristic.

Interesting thing is if you enter zero in a receipt it shows up as 0.00.

Payments too.