Sales Quotes not taking initial quantity as 1

The logic I had assumed is

• if no quantity is entered, Manager does not use the quantity function on that line.
  • Multiplying by 1 is equivalent to doing nothing, when calculating line item amount
  • adding zero is equivalent to doing nothing when calculating quantity on hand

The problem with this logic is Manager can not then show a grey identity value when no data is entered, a grey strike through could be used instead

Not at all, what I was saying is that defaulting to 0 quantity makes no sense because it creates void lines by default.

The only reason I’d want a Zero line is to void a transaction because it’s wrong but I cannot delete it.

What other purpose does a zero value line serve? It has no business in a newly created transaction.

Edit: Now having read the whole thing again, it looks like nothing is defaulting to Zero and that it seems like the whole thing is about display of the default 1 qty (i.e. show or no show).

Sorry, now I am also confused.

Thinking about it, most of my non inventory items are services that I buy from suppliers or sell to clients. Now that I think about it, I am starting to see your point about inventory having a quantity, but not for non inventory. The angle that I was coming from was more about consistency - in that when I do quotes and invoices things work the same way. But it’s not necessary to have a quantity for services.

Your suggestion of a form default sounds like a good way to go, but having said that I see what you mean now. Also in the past, I have never put any quantity in the quantity field for both inventory and non inventory items unless it was greater than one.

The main message I wanted to give you, @dalacor, is that the practice you describe in the bit I quoted will still work as it did before. A blank will be interpreted as a 1 when it comes to multiplying by the unit price. So, just enter the unit price and you’re done, except in those relatively uncommon situations where somebody buys two or three of something. (Sounds like that is not very common for your business.)

Mmm :thinking:, patents, IP-rights, etc are also non-inventory items. I could buy and sell an actual number of patents / rights, ie countable so they actually can have a quantity aspect I assume? It does not really matter to use a multiplier of an amount or “quantity” multiplier. Just wanted clarification on the “…never have quantity aspect…” for non-inventory items. Thanks

Yes. This is essentially the point I was concerned about. Consistency on the inventory and non inventory item quote lines in that I can simply not put a quantity in for the vast majority of my transactions if they are always 1.

1 Like

I thought my comment in that regard was self-explanatory, but you had to also read the next sentence. The program does not keep track of how many non-inventory items you have on hand. Nor does it count how many are to be delivered or received, nor calculate average cost from a subsidiary ledger balance. The quantity of a non-inventory item is used only to multiple by the unit price to obtain a line-item amount.

Inventory items, on the other hand, can be delivered or received independently of financial action, transferred between locations, augmented in average cost by addition of freight-in costs or assignment of repair expenses, absorbed into other inventory items through production orders, returned to suppliers, credited back to customers, held temporarily as production in progress, and so forth. All those actions require knowing quantities in various locations or statuses.

You are right, thanks.