Retrieving backup from Manager Cloud

I’ve been using manager DeskTop Edition for a couple of years now, I’m currently going through the trial period on Cloud Edition and ALL IS GOOD, however I’m unable to establish how I retrieve or where I retrieve my Cloud Edition backups… The guides seem to only reflect what to do on DeskTop Edition, i.e. as I currently do, back up to desktop, then automatically to One Drive, which works nicely…BUT on Cloud Edition, where is this data being backed up and how do I retrieve it, when I need it…Thanks!

That is up to you. The process is the same. While the cloud edition includes automatic backup, that is your defense against server problems. In other words, if the Manager server goes down, it will be automatically restored. But if you want a backup for transfer, redundancy, reversion to the desktop edition, or any other reason, you must make your own.

Hi Tut, thanks, but on Manager Cloud, which I’m now running on (subscription paid today), you go to back-up, some doc loads in the bottom left of the screen, I try open this to save it to a folder and it indicates I’m running an older version of Manager and need to update my software…Go figure, I thought being on this Cloud Edition, it automatically ensures I’m on the latest version etc…This back-up thing is important to me, we had a burglary about a year ago, with our PC’s being stolen and I hadn’t backed up regularly, hence data lost etc, nightmare to get right again…Please advise! Thanks…

This is confusing. Why are you trying to open a file you are in the process of saving? You should just save it according to the procedures of whatever operating system you use. If you open it on your local machine, you will be launching whatever old version of Manager you have installed on that machine.

You are. And that’s why opening a backup file on your local machine tells you that you have an older version.

Understand that a backup file only contains data that is called by the program. It is not the program itself.

Hi Tut, you’re gonna have to keep this simple for me…I have my old DeskTop Edition loaded on my PC still, but I’m not using it, I’m using this new Cloud Edition…Now I press the backup tab on Cloud Edition, I imagine it’s backing up the information, I just have no idea where it’s backing it up to, I’m not being given the opportunity of providing the back up to a specific destination, so it must be going places, but I have no idea where that place is…?

Sorry, @KeoN001, but I can’t help when your description of what you are doing changes. You first wrote:

Then, you wrote:

Are you trying to open a file or not? Illustrate what you are seeing with screen shots.

All right Tut, then let me try and keep this simple for you…On both Manager systems, i.e. DeskTop or Cloud editions, there is a back up tab on the top right hand corner of the screen, right?

Now on DeskTop, you press the back up tab and you are able to save your system information into a local PC folder, which automatically saves to One Drive, right?

Now on Cloud Edition, same or very similar layout, you have a back up tab on the top right side of your PC screen, right? Now I press that, either nothing is happening or its saving the system information somewhere automatically…??? Now I’d like to know is it backing up my information and if so, where is it backing up my information to AND how do I access that information if I require it…?

Now Tut, are you in a position to assist me or not, if not, could you please pass this onto one of your colleagues who may be in a position to do so OR alternatively point me in a direction of one of your guides that deals with BACK UPS on the Cloud Edition please…Thanks!

Saving to OneDrive is not a function of Manager, but of how you may have your computer set up. Manager only activates your operating system’s file saving process. Where you save the file is up to you.

Remember that when you access the cloud edition, you are viewing a web site through your browser. Have you looked in whatever location you have set up for your browser downloads?

I don’t have colleagues. As a forum moderator, I’m a user like you.

It sounds like you are using Google Chrome as a web browser because of where you mention the download location in the bottom left.

This saves files in the Downloads folder by default, but this may be changed in the settings of the web browser. You don’t need to open the file to move it, but at that point it becomes a function of the OS rather than of Manager.

Thanks VISA-MC, I believe I know now where the data is going… And yes, I use Google Chrome as my browser… Its after hours now, so I’ll get to it in the morning. Greatly appreciated…

Good day VISA-MC, you were most helpful, thank you. I have found my illusive Back-Ups in downloads…I’ve now upgraded to Cloud Edition and happy that I’ve done so.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated…

Kevin Wilson

No problem, happy to help.

Keep in mind you should still do routine backups on cloud edition. The backups maintained on the server protect you against server failure but not your own mistakes. My habit is to pull a backup at the beginning of each day when I access that particular business file before doing any work.

That will work unless you have many people accessing the business and entering data. In that case, you would not be able to know exactly when the data was updated

Good advice, again thank you for your interest and support…

---- VISA-MC via Manager Forum wrote ----

VISA-MC

April 15

No problem, happy to help.

Keep in mind you should still do routine backups on cloud edition. The backups maintained on the server protect you against server failure but not your own mistakes. My habit is to pull a backup at the beginning of each day when I access that particular business file before doing any work.

Thanks Joe, no it’s only three of us and should prove to be manageable…

---- Joe Dempsey via Manager Forum wrote ----

Joe91

April 15

That will work unless you have many people accessing the business and entering data. In that case, you would not be able to know exactly when the data was updated