Request: Legal (or custom) size paper

I would like to generate PDF files on US legal size (8.5 x 14 inches) paper. The quotes we produce fit best on legal paper and that paper size is common in our industry.

As I understand, the “Email Settings” also affects PDF generation, but that screen only provides A4 or Letter options. I didn’t see a way to specify Legal, nor a custom size.

There is no native support for other sizes. Some users have reported success using fairly complex custom themes for smaller size papers. Search the forum for those discussions, which might be useful.

Also, using the Print function and selecting a “print to PDF” or equivalent in your operating system may work, as that will throw you into printer drivers of your operating system, which may allow selection of legal-size paper.

I saw those discussions, however it looks like they make a theme that has a small bounding box, but it still outputs a full size PDF. Maybe the printer automatically trims this. I can’t do this with legal paper, since I need something bigger than the letter size paper, not smaller.

I tried this in the template, but it didn’t work. I didn’t really expect that it would.

<style type="text/css">
@page {
  size: legal !important;
  margin: 0 !important;
}
@media print {
  html, body {
    width: 8.5in !important;
    height: 14in !important;
  }
}
</style>

Printing with the OS (Linux) has worse quality than using the built-in PDF writer. It frequently gets table borders and other formatting wrong. Also, it removes the convenience of using the Email button for one click sending.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up. The thing is the internal PDF generator is getting phased out, so we are all going to be left with the Print button as our only choice.

Also the internal emails will not send document attachments but rather a link.

So I don’t think the developer will spend any development time on soon to be deprecated features like the PDF generator.

I think your best bet it start looking around for better PDF printers on Linux.