Reports - negative numbers do not use preference/local settings

I’m searching high and low to change the formatting of negative numbers on the "profit and loss-statement"
now it shows (100) when it should show -100 (as set in my windows-settings AND the Preferences.
What should I change to display these amounts/numbers properly?

(100) is the financial accounting way :wink:

Windows settings have no effect on Manager’s presentation of numbers. And Manager’s number preferences only effect separators, such as how your local usage employs commas and decimal points. As @Abeiku says, the standard way of showing negative entries in accounting is with parentheses.

perhaps in your part of the world (100) is standard - not in my part
strange that this is not configurable

This has nothing to do with where you are. This has simply been a convention in accounting for centuries.

Let’s look it up. Where are you from?

Netherlands - our tax-office has a nice example at tax-office loss from our Dutch tax-office

why would you implement to display negative-numbers according to localized-settings and enforce your formatting for a profit and loss report?

As I said in my previous reply, Manager does not implement localized settings for negative numbers in reports. It follows standard accounting practice of using parentheses. Localized preferences are for separators and decimal points.

export the report , change whatever you want to change and submit it everywhere you want.

@Jorgen_te_Giffel, I’m not convinced Dutch companies are using only minus sign to indicate negative amounts on financial statements.

For example, have a look at http://www.sligrofoodgroup.nl/upload/4ca8dc64-1288-49a1-9908-24d47d90ba2b_Jaarverslag%202015%20NL.pdf

I don’t know what what company is that but their annual statements in fact present negative figures in brackets.

Here is the thing. If Manager is wrong at presenting negative figures for Dutch users, it will be fixed. But I’m not yet convinced Manager is wrong.

I think brackets are becoming standard all over the world for the purpose of financial statements because minus sign is more difficult to spot than brackets.

In Australia (similar to Netherlands), minus sign is used everywhere except when presenting financial statements. Yeah, you can use minus sign on financial statements but they will give impression of being unprofessional and less trustworthy since it indicates person is not familiar with accounting conventions.

1 Like

@Lubos
Thank you for further investigating. I’m not an professional, and decades ago I learned to use negatives, and so are the people who receive the statements.

You state

I think brackets are becoming standard all over the world for the purpose of financial statements because minus sign is more difficult to spot than brackets.

Brackets do stand out and I understand why they could become a standard, however it’s not a standard yet. Therefore you will find both presentations: negatives and brackets.
Will Manager enforce the brackets or do you accept that not everybody is a professional (and will never be) and allow to override upcoming-accounting-standards with the settings according to my localization (like you do with dates and thousand, separations) and create statements/reports that us common people do understand too (on my bank statement I get negatives)?

Anyway thanks for looking into this.

I still don’t understand why is this such a big issue for you. You are certainly the first one to ever bring this up. In most cases, Profit & Loss Statements won’t show any negative figures.

@Lubos:

I noticed today that a negative quantity in an invoice appears with a minus sign (rather than in parentheses), as does the amount.

Did this change as a result of this discussion, or have Manager invoices always used minus signs instead of parentheses? At least in this part of the world, it looks odd to see a negative number on an invoice with a minus sign instead of parentheses.

Parentheses were always showing only on financial statements. Everywhere else if was always minus sign.

In my experience, the current practice of parentheses on financial statements (which accounting professionals and experienced financial managers read) and negative signs on individual transactions (which customers and suppliers read) is very common.