Pro-Forma Invoice - still in the pipeline?

This is a perfect resolution. In my opinion, even a permanent one.

i think this new feature is great. I have english and german speaking customer, so it is now easy to use either QUOTATION or in german ANGEBOTā€¦ also if i join a BID its great to change this in a easy, quick way

thanks lubos

You need to understand the difference between a deposit and an advanced payment. This is why many trades/business will not offer a tax invoice in advance - the invoice is issues at a Pro Forma non (GST) tax invoice. Cash flow can be hugely affected by this. I certainly would not want my business impacted by paying tax anywhere between 2 and 18 months before the service is rendered. Obviously, for other business types who do not have such a long lead time, or where the service/product is rendered within the given tax period this scenario would work fine.

Okay i think the best way to go around it is to create some Liability account and call it Customer deposit, so you will receive ā€œCustomer Depositsā€ in that account and receive ā€œadvance paymentsā€ using ā€œCredit Noteā€. Is that okay for your situation?

Quotes and Pro-forma invoices to my knowledge are not source documents for entering a debit and a credit so i think we can find a way around this with what we have now. I know for sure the application will improve to clarify all our problems and confusion though it may take some time.

Hi, i fully agree. This have big impact on tax we need to pay. What we need is to make it possible to get a Pro Forma Invoice, then customer can pay f.e. 50% Downpayment based on that. If then he get final INV he make rest of payment and this is then also when I need to pay the tax and not earlier.

thanks, Dietmar

Sorry for the late reply - yes I use a liability account - Iā€™ve called it Advanced Deposits but can be called anything of course. I either deposit the funds directly into this account when received or I journal it out of the income line at the end of the period. If I pay something in advance then I create an asset account for it Advanced Payments. I think how you handle this really depends on who you want or need to report t - but this is what seems to work best in my situation. The software as it is will deal with this well.

@Lubos
I canā€™t find the checkbox ā€˜ā€˜custom headerā€™ā€™ at the bottom of sales quote form.
Does this mean I am using an older version? if yes, how can I upgrade without affecting my documents? because the last time I tried to upgrade manager, I lost all my files.

You can check your version by clicking About Manager in the top menu bar. Compare what you have to the Changelog.

Manager is constantly being upgraded, so if you wonder if you are out of date, you almost certainly are. Sometimes there are several new version in one week. To update, simply download the version for your operating system and install it as you did the old version. Manager will give you the option of replacing the old version or keeping both.

I have difficulty believing you actually lost your files, because the program stores no data. All you data is stored separately, and the new version will use the same data.

Hi everyone,
It seems to me that everyone here, except me, knows what he is doing in accounting.
I might need some coaching in accounting, 'cause trying to help myself by myself isnā€™t really helpful.

I run my own business. A small import/retail shop. Basically Iā€™m a trader. Although Iā€™d like to think of myself as ā€˜ā€˜business manā€™ā€™ funny
I turned to manager because I had feelings that TAX agents will come after me soon after (as a novice) I obtained a TIN number for over two years without ever filling appropriate VAT returns. I donā€™t even know
Can anyone please help me?

You can learn just about anything you need to know to run a small business at http://www.accountingcoach.com. Until you understand the basics of accounting, Manager will make no sense. Manager is a tool, not an accountant. Learn the principles, then learn the tool. Create yourself a test company and make up scenarios so you can try them out. (You can have as many companies in Manager as you want.)

Hi @lubos
Can i request the same Custom header feature for Sales Order?
As we are issuing Sales Order as ā€˜Proforma Invoiceā€™ to our clients for payments, they always come back getting confused with the document heading as Sales Order and want the heading to be Proforma Invoice.

Looking forward for a quick update on this.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Just a heads up.

We are using the Sales Quotes for send Quotations to clients.
The Sales Quotes serial number are then reflecting under Sales invoice tab as well as ā€˜Quote numberā€™

So i donā€™t want to disturb and mix my Sales Quotes with Proforma Invoice under the same tab.

Instead, need the same Custom Header feature under Sales Order tab, as we have all our past data under Sales Order which we use as Proforma Invoice with our Payment details mentioned on it.

Just want the Heading to be fixed from Sales Order to Proforma Invoice.

This is probably not workable in the long run, especially if other features requested for sales orders are added. For example, users have requested the ability to track inventory items committed by sales orders to customers. A sales order, although it does not have direct financial impact until converted to a sales invoice, nevertheless represents a need to fulfill a promise to a customer. A pro forma invoice, on the other hand, represents no such additional obligation. It is merely an informative document that lays out what an invoice might eventually contain. So your suggestion might be useful in your case, but it would not be in all cases.

Automatic sequence numbers can be edited after the document they are on is created. The number will then be reused by Manager. So the presence of automatic numbering does not prevent you from using sales quotes as pro forma invoices.

1 Like

What are Sales Order used for?

Sales Quotes are used in accounting terms to quote a client. This certainly cannot be clubbed with Proforma Invoice.

Then what is Sales Orders used for?

As Manager doesnā€™t provides Proforma Invoice, we considered Sales Order as Proforma Invoice for our accounting purpose.

All i now need is to have a customized header for Sales Order the same way we have it for Sales Quotes.

To record an incoming purchase order from a customer. It is not an outgoing form.

1 Like

Actually Sales Quote is more like a Proforma Invoice. Not Sales Orders.

A proforma invoice is a document that states a commitment on part of the seller to deliver the products or services as notified or to notify the buyer for a specific price. It is thus a rough draft of the actual invoice and an indication of what the customer will have to pay you when they purchase something from you.

A sales order on the other hand is a purchase order issued to you by a customer.

Since Sales Quotes in Manager do not have automatic numbering, you may use the Sales quote with Proforma Invoice heading when necessary. Just prefix something for the serial number to differentiate a Sales Quote from a Proforma Invoice.

3 Likes

Actually, they do now. But you can still overwrite the automatic number for custom sequences. And the number will be reused on the next sales quote.

yes sorry my mistake. so a prefix just for the Proforma Invoice would be necessary. Sales Quotes can follow automatic numbering.

I would not recommend changing the title of Sales Order to Proforma Invoice and using it. If in future updates of Manager there is chance the Sales Orders would affect the inventory, then a lot of backlog work need to be done to sort everything.

its a wrong sentenceā€¦ Sales Quote it self Proforma Invoiceā€¦
And Look at the actual printed heading of Sales Quote Documentsā€¦ it Displayā€¦ Proforma Invoice as a heading.

Sales Order is a different thingā€¦ as @Tut and @sharpdrivetek said. and if you are reading the other topics in manager forumā€¦ then ā€¦ peoples are requested to extend the features of sales orderā€¦ Like ā€¦links with inventory items committedā€¦ to know the actual available qty.

So it will be a wrong thing for youā€¦if you are using sales order as a Proforma Invoiceā€¦and If manager update will come in the actā€¦ you are in trouble because of thatā€¦ so do the actual things as accounting software. not as per your thinkingā€¦