Payroll Liabilities

When I activate Payslip I notice that there are two General Ledger code appears, Employee Clearing Accounts and Payroll Liabilities.

Hence when I generate Payslip for each employee is credited into Employee Clearing Account but there is NO button such as Payment linking directly to Bank Account.

My second question is, can I choose other naming convention other than Employee Clearing Account? This is a freedom of choice for me to play around with the GL code.

Similar to case to Expense claim instead of going through Employee Clearing Account can I choose a separate GL code?

Hi @Ethan_Ong,

You will have to go into Bank Accounts tab, choose a Statement balance link and press Spend money button. There you can spend money to the Employee Clearing Account. When choosen it will add a Employee column.

Go into Settings tab and then Chart of accounts and edit the liabilities account name of Employee clearing account.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the reply. However, for the second answer, can I have two Employee clearing accounts instead? Reason being the Expenses claim also go through the same account. I wish to require to separate both.

If you don’t expense claims to use Employees clearing account then you can also set up employees as Expense claim payers under Settings tab.

Hi there:

This is an old topic, but I can’t find more info in the forum.

I’m a little bit confused having Employee Clearing Accounts and Payroll Liabilities accounts. I understand that the salary goes to Employee Clearing Accounts, and we pay from this account to the cash account.

But what is “Payroll Liabilities account” for? I don’t know what to do with this account and I can’t even delete it.

Thanks in advance.

Payroll Liabilities account is where you allocate the taxes you deduct from the wages.
You use in when setting up the Payslip Deduction Item for deducting taxes

This is typical of automatically created accounts in Manager. As long as the module that created them is enabled, you cannot delete them, because they are necessary for functionality of the module. In turn, the module can only be disabled if no transactions have been entered within it or all transactions have been deleted. Going one level further, if a later transaction has referenced an earlier transaction, you will not be able to delete the earlier transaction until the later one is deleted. In other words, it is fairly difficult to accidentally lose accounting records.

Thanks @Tut and @Brucanna for your quick response.

But I’m still can’t find how to use the Payroll Liabilities account.

I can’t find this account in the list when setting up a new Payslip Deduction Item.

Did you read this Guide, @rdavidsc?

Follow the instructions under Deduction Items. When you do, you will reach the screen below. The default choice for account allocation is Payroll Liabilities:

I had read this guide before, but I had configured another specific accounts for this. created a payslip but didn’t find the account in the list. I deleted the previous payslip and created a new one with the default accounts and now is working good.

Hi @tut Thanks a lot!!

You should have found every liability account that is not a control account or special account, such as Accounts payable or Expense claims. Did you scroll down far enough in the Account dropdown box when defining the payslip item?

If it makes anything more obvious or convenient, you can also change the name of Payroll liabilities under Settings => Chart of Accounts.