Non-Inventory Items Code order

Hi all;

I’ve been doing my nut over non-inventory items, in particular the Code (yes I want the use of codes), only today did I find that if you click on the ‘Item Code’ header you could sort them ascending or descending.

The issue is, the order is not persistent - that once you leave the non-inventory tab, they (the codes) are just all over the place again. The only way to get them back into a sensible order is to again click the ‘Item Code’ heading each time. Whilst this may seem trivial to some, when you are fielding multiple inquiries on pricing daily it becomes a little painful.

Is there a way to set the order permanently? For example Ascending? I have included a screen shot below to further clarify what I am referring to.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Indeed, non-iventory items are sorted alphabetically by their name rather than their code.
I think it is up to the developer to adjust this.
It may be that for other users, the current sorting may again be very convenient.

Well, since you just discovered sorting, you probably don’t know you can open a second Manager window simultaneously and keep it open. Instructions for different operating systems vary. But basically you need to right-click on any blue hyperlink on any screen. The goal is to open a browser window with that URL. Both Windows remain up to date, accessing the same database. So you can leave a sorted pricing list permanently open.

By the way, if you use the Back arrow to return to your list, it will still be sorted. Understand that Manager operates as a browser. If you go to an unrelated page, then click back to the Inventory Items tab, it is the same as putting in a brand new URL. Just like on the internet, you don’t get to change web pages permanently. Think of completing an on-line order form, then leaving the page. Your entries are generally lost when you come back.

“you probably don’t know you can open a second Manager window simultaneously and keep it open”
Yes, that still doesn’t solve the problem.

“By the way, if you use the Back arrow to return to your list, it will still be sorted.”
You have clearly not tired this yourself in respect to non-inventory item code ascend/descend order, as that does not work, all it does it takes you back through the ‘two URL clicks’ you have to do to get to Ascending order.

Yes, I was aware of the alphabetical ordering. Which is why originally I had the code in the ‘Name field’, for example: 001 RAID Controller
Using that method the order of the code would be ascending always regardless of name.

It would be nice to be able to set them (how the user wishes - alphabetical/numerical ascending/descending).

There was another issue, but right now I can’t recall it - the hot Australian sun is taking it’s toll :rofl: Other than this it is an excellent program.

You cannot sort an alphanumeric field numerically.

Your only option is to create a Number Custom Field, use it and then you can sort that numericaly.

“You cannot sort an alphanumeric field numerically.”
Well you can in a roundabout way. For example if you do not enter a code, but in the name field as I mentioned above, 001 RAID Controller, 002 Drive Bay it will always appear in numerical order.

But of course that is not a very convenient workaround. I would much prefer the code order to remain persistent.

Now just in case someone mentions it, yes, when you are doing an invoice the codes are in correct ascending numerical order, just not in the non-inventory list without clicking the sort each time.

In your original post, the only problem you indicated was the inconvenience of having to resort the list of non-inventory items every time you referenced it. So I explained a method by which you could avoid doing that. That would seem to solve your perceived problem.

Other than that, you only made observations about the program’s behavior. I explained the origin of that behavior.

On the contrary, I actually did confirm the behavior before responding to you—with non-inventory item codes. And the resulting behavior—“all it does”—is exactly what I said the program does.

It is not clear what you are referring to with this comment. If you are referring to the dropdown menu for Item selection on the sales invoice Edit screen, you are correct. In that instance, the field choices concatenate codes and item names and sort alphanumerically. That just indicates how you could resolve your issue by including the codes in your item names in the first place. But you seem to have already tried and rejected that option.

No I did not reject the option. Yes your method would certainly work, it is just not practical in my situation.

I simply asked if there was a way to keep the codes in a persistent ascending order state, yet it has gone off track somewhat. ries actually answered the question, in that currently there is no way to maintain the ascending state permanently.

Re the back arrow - I understand what you mean now. I misunderstood how you communicated it. And yes, that does work. Thanks for that tip. Seems the only way for now.

Re the invoice part -
When you enter code 001 and so up to say 100 for example in non-inventory items, leave NII and then come back, the codes are no longer ascending, as per my original question.

Yet, if you open a sales invoice they do indeed show in numerical ascending order, at least that is my experience thus far.

This is confusing. Enter the code where? Come back to where? When you enter sales invoices, you are in an entirely different functional tab than when viewing the list of non-inventory items. So it is impossible to understand what you mean by this. Please explain.

I already stated in post #8 that your comments about codes when entering invoices are not clear. This additional comment just adds more uncertainty. What shows in numerical ascending order when you open a sales invoice? As I mentioned previously, the only thing on the entry screen for sales invoices that could be in ascending order (or not) is the dropdown menu for Item selection. And I already addressed that.

If you are instead referring to opening the Sales Invoices tab and seeing the list of sales invoices in ascending order, then you simply have not seen enough data to understand that display. Sales invoices in their tab listing are not sorted in ascending order. They are sorted according to a multi-part algorithm in which the first criterion is status, then issue date. See Sales Invoice sort order - #3 by Tut, as well as the rest of that thread.

I also call your attention to the fact that sales invoices have no codes. They have reference numbers. that is an important difference in Manager. Terminology is important when trying to understand perceived problems.

This is confusing. Enter the code where?
- When you enter code 001 and so up to say 100 for example in non-inventory items

How is that confusing for you? It clearly states ‘Non-Inventory Item’.

Come back to where?
- leave NII (Non-Inventory Items) and then come back
Comon man! If you leave Non-Inventory, then come back, you are obviously coming back to Non-Inventory.

Anyway, let’s call this thread closed. Ries actually answered the question I asked, so it is just a matter of waiting to see if the dev implements the ability to set a persistent ascending state to code order in NII

It’s confusing because you started writing about “the invoice part,” but were apparently referring to something on the non-inventory items page in the Settings tab. I’m not a mind reader.

I don’t think you should expect action on your hope, because it violates the basic principles of how the program functions. But I already explained that, didn’t I?

The initial sorting as @Ries explained of the non-inventory items in settings is based on the “Item name” not the “Item code”. You have to click on “Item code” to re-sort the table. @Ries clearly explained that the current default sorting could be a preference by others and leaves it up to @Lubos if this is an issue or not.

2 Likes

I think that there might be some merit to @GAS’s proposal. If someone uses codes, he/she is more likely to want to sort the list by the codes rather than by name. If they prefer to rely on names for search and sorting, they probably don’t use codes.

Besides, @lubos once hinted towards the possibility of enabling column selection in tabs:

I don’t know if this is still intended for development, but if it is; this could possibly mean that multifield sorting might be required.

Thanks for everyone who has responded.
I was simply asking if there was a way (that I wasn’t aware of) to have the code order remain persistent.

There isn’t currently it seems, so I would request the admin here lock this thread, or even delete it. I would have deleted it myself but there seems to be no option to do so.

My view is that items under Non-Inventory Items should be sorted by code, then by name. We already do it under Inventory Items tab so this just makes it more consistent (improved in the latest version 23.1.9).

Now, there is still an issue where it’s not desirable. For example, when Item Code represents code recognized by supplier or customer. But this should be captured differently which hasn’t been implemented yet.

If I moved all non-inventory items into the Inventory section, would this cause any problems in respect to standard accounting practices and give my accountant severe headaches when I hand him the printed reports (and possibly backup file should he want it)?

Whilst they are not ‘Inventory’ items in the true sense of the word, it would solve the problem until there was a resolution in a future update.

You say these are not true inventory items. But the only example you’ve given includes computer components. That sounds like inventory. Why were you treating them as non-inventory items in the first place?

Inventory comprises tangible goods held for production or sale. Inventory has capital value before being sold. You buy it before you can sell it.

Non-inventory items have no value until involved in a sale. Non-inventory items are really just standardized shortcuts for data entry, things like common services or subscriptions. They are not purchased before being sold.

So maybe putting these items into inventory isn’t a solution to a data presentation characteristic that irritates you. It would be adoption of correct accounting. On the other hand, if these are legitimately non-inventory items, treating them as inventory will cause disastrous results.

“But the only example you’ve given includes computer components.”
Simply an explanatory example. And yes, I am aware of the difference between Inventory and Non-Inventory.

And what would these ‘disastrous results’ be?

Maybe disastrous is an exaggeration but it could result in some real fiscal issues because inventory items are used for calculating profitability while non-inventory items are not. So you would falsely report to the tax authorities your business profitability if a genuine non-inventory item was setup as an inventory item.