New Audit Trail (aka History)

Batch delete isn’t recorded in History.

@lubos The new Audit Trail is a great improvement over the previous version … many thanks. Could the date format of the Audit Trail output be set to whatever format has been selected in Preferences? Everything else in Manager seems to work this way except for the Audit Trails, which show the date in MM/DD/YYYY format only (I use DD/MM/YYYY as I am Australian based).

Also custom reports (only for custom fields) and batch create and batch update share this issue on dates format.

Can sent emails by added to History, as well?

Emails tab doesn’t show the user who sent the email.

Thank You @lubos These are long awaiting features we are expecting. Good Startt

I like the feature. At this time I only use the desktop version and am the only user. As such I am responsible for all entries and content. I do a lot of additions & deletions for testing purposes. Yes, I should have a test business for this. I would like the ability to be able to turn it on/off in settings.

Version 20.7.55 History doesn’t show deletions @lubos. At first, it wasn’t showing reference numbers of deleted transactions, now it doesn’t show deletions at all.

@lubos Will it be possible to purge the History/Audit Trail at some stage?

Why would you want to do that?

I don’t think I will implement purge history as a button but it will be possible to make a backup without history. So this will allow you to “purge it”. Would that be sufficent?

4 Likes

It will Better if History show Traction not need to be view

A backup without history would be good :smile:

Hello
It would be nice to have transaction references appear as hyperlinks to enable the user to click and view the transaction document right from the historical record.

1 Like

To me it seems that it brings up a synopsis of what the user did. It would be handy if it somehow also included a link to the document if it still exists.

I am using the history now for the first time in a situation where I need to use it (rather than previous experimentation and curiosity) and realising that I can’t see all the details of the entry that I made which requires me to find a way to get there.

I see a number of people have requested this already above, just adding my 5 moments of thought to it. I’d like the feature as well.

@lubos, I just realised this as well, I thought it was because I’d lost preferences settings or something, but it is the timestamp in audit trails doesn’t use the preferred settings and is defaulting to a system default?

I thought it might have been a system default, but editing my locale LC_TIME settings and restarting the manager server and the server itself, manager appears to be using a default from somewhere else.

ex: from the command line of the server in question:

xxx@xxx:~$ date
2020-09-28 01:50:36 UTC

and manager is still outputting (unrelated time):

9/27/2020, 2:51:40 PM

@d3mad Date format in audit trail

ahhh, ok. Makes sense, I suppose.

Hi,

Previously, history was displayed with reference in description and it was easy to search any transaction. Recent updates have removed this feature, it will be appreciated to add the feature back.

In addition, audit trail usually includes each and every activity. Is it possible to add a feature inclusive of all activities such as a user has generate a report, another user has viewed the report more specifically user log etc.

On the other hand, we also need your guidance to identify whether there is any option from where we can review all the posting / activity incurred during a day for quick review as one page/summary. In order to review accounting entries are correctly posting in right account head.

Now, the transaction itself has a History button when viewed that displays actions pertaining to it alone. You no longer need to search the main History file.

Report creation is already included.

History includes only actions that modify the database. If you are concerned about who can view reports, control access through user permissions.

Just look at the History file. It—or a portion of it—can be copied to a spreadsheet if desired. However, there is no way to limit a day’s activities to a single page, as the list of activities may easily exceed that length. And what would you show in a “summary” that is not in the list; or more importantly, what would you leave out to turn the list into a “summary?”

It is easy to ask for a report or feature about one parameter on transactions, such as posting account. But what about users who would then ask for the same thing for issue dates, due dates, customers, suppliers, inventory items, inventory locations, discounts, prices, quantities, tax codes, late payment fees, withholding amounts, or custom field content? The purpose of the History file is not to provide management reports on transaction parameters, but to allow audit and reversal of actions that change the database. Drill down on account balances or create custom reports to obtain what you want.

Further, a single action in the History file may involve multiple accounts, depending on line items the transaction contains. But critically, nothing in a History file would provide any insight about whether posting accounts have been correctly chosen. You would need to examine all line items on a transaction to determine that. No History file will ever substitute for informed management review.

1 Like

I don’t think the transaction reference number was removed because of that. The transaction reference number is an essential part of an audit Trail/History record.

I’m 100% sure it will be returned soon even for delete actions.