Matching imported bank transactions with invoices

How i would go about receiving payment on my invoices that will link to my bank statement imports.

I receive a lot of foreign currency payments which don’t always show the same name on my bank statement as the name on the invoice.

For example: Advice return 12BLAH BLAH on bank statement when the invoice is addressed to John Smith Ltd

How do i link the 2 without duplicate entries in my balance report?

When you import your bank statement, you will end up with various uncategorized receipts and payments.

Uncategorized means you still need to select (usually income or expense) account to categorize the transaction (receipt or payment).

Sales invoices are posted to Accounts receivable account so when categorizing your imported bank transactions, you need to simply select Accounts receivable account if the imported transaction is money received from customer for sales invoice.

You don’t want to use Receive money button on sales invoice view because that will create new bank transaction. Since you have already imported your bank transactions, you only want to link those imported transactions with particular sales invoices and you do it by categorizing those imported transactions under Accounts receivable account.

Perfect! thanks for the quick advice :smiley:

One more quick question… since i did actually use Receive money on all of my sales invoices…

how would i go about deleting all of my bank statements to reimport fresh?

I seem to be going one by one… is there a quicker way?

Bulk-deleting hasn’t been implemented, mostly because I think it’s quite dangerous feature. It takes 2 wrong clicks to wipe-out the whole lot. In accounting software, it is not something that is generally needed anyway.

The only valid use-case I see is if you want to revert bank statement import in case it was imported into the wrong account, this could be actually implemented in future.

In your case, I wouldn’t be deleting all bank transactions, just delete duplicates.

Revert would be excellent, for fools like me that didnt get it right first time :wink:

Great software… only been using for a day and its vastly improved my accounting already thanks so much!!

Hi there,
I’m trying to make importing transactions from the bank statements work. I’ve got as far as getting them into Manager. I get what was said about regarding categorising them as accounts receivable. After that I’m stumped. how do I then mark them off against the customer invoices?

When you choose Accounts receivable, a second dropdown box appears to select the specific invoice.

I just get a list of customer names on the left and dollar amounts on the right. When I click on one of the dollar amounts it takes me to a breakdown or two or three invoices which total up to the amount showing on the list page. I can’t see where a second drop down menu is.

Hey thanks, I found it. You mean a drop down menu on each individual receipt right next to the menu for the account. Thanks heaps.
Mary

Hi,

I am trying to go through the same process of linking incoming transactions (from imported statement) to existing invoices. I do not see any additional drop-down for each transaction receipt. Has this process changed since this thread was created? Can anyone elaborate on how to link incoming transaction to an invoice?

Thank you.

–EDIT–

I also managed to figure this out. You must edit the transaction/receipt, assign it to Accounts receivable, as Tut explained, then you will see options to assign a customer & invoice number.

Thank you.

Something did change with the way the bank accounts and bank transactions pages look and work.

After importing the transactions you are in the Bank Transactions page. I switch to the Bank Accounts page where there is a column showing uncategorized transactions, which means the ones that haven’t yet been marked off against invoices. If you click on the number showing how many such transactions you have you will get a list of all the imported transactions and their details.

I usually open a second copy of manager in another browser tab at this point as I find it helps to have the list of customers open as well as the bank transactions. It’s annoying and time consuming to be closing one page in order to see the other so I open both.

I go to the bottom of the list of imported transactions and work my way up so that I can start with the oldest payment made by a customer, in case they make subsequent payments.

Taking the first transaction, I switch to my list of customers and search for the person whose transaction I want to match. This brings up only that person’s name. There is a right hand column called accounts receivable. Click on the dollar amount in accounts receivable column and you will get a list of all their invoices. I have the outstanding ones sorted to the top. You may have to sort them this way. I check that the details the customer has put into the bank transaction i e invoice number and amount are the same as what’s in the invoice. They are often not so I check. People get the invoice numbers wrong and sometimes pay the wrong amount. Mostly they match up but we do get quite a few with errors so we have to check and then figure out solutions.

If the details match, go back to the bank transaction list, click on edit next to the transaction you are matching up. This gives you a receipt page. There is a row of boxes, item, account, description, qty, unit price, amount. I skip item, in suspense I type accounts receivable (it auto fills), I skip qty, unit price already contains the amount of the bank deposit. Click save.

I go back to the customer page and type the customer name into search again. Click search and it should clear the transaction you just matched and change the colour next to it from red to green.

If you are trying to match a cheque deposit with more than one cheque from different people, just add lines to the rows in the receipt page and break the deposit amount up into the right amounts for each person’s cheque so you can match each one to the right invoice number.

This suits our system. You might need to use some of the boxes in the receipt which I skip if your system needs it.

Hope this helps.

Mary