Journal Entries should have Bank and cash

I understand where you are coming from to an extent. It probably does need to be explained better in the guides given that most accounting programs (if not all), allow you to manage any transaction in Journal Entries.

@Tut - just a suggestion, but perhaps with regards to the help guide for Journal Entries, it may be an idea to provide examples of how common Journal Entry transactions in other accounting programs such as bank and cash are handled in Manager. This makes sense as Manager is just about the only accounting program that I know that does not allow bank entries in Journal Entries. Newcomers used to using Journal entries for bank transactions should have examples of how Manager handles it and more importantly why.

However, I think it should be up to users to justify why they need bank and cash transaction to be done through Journal Entries. I have been using my business in Manager since 2015 and admittedly my business does not do advanced account - but neither myself nor my accountant has ever needed to use Journal entries for a bank/cash transaction. All I have ever used Journal Entries for to be honest is end of year returns such as dividends, corporation tax, accruals and reverse journal entries etc.

I am in full agreement with other users. The major benefit of Manager is the simplicity of the program and this is largely why Bank transactions etc are not allowed in Journal Entries. It forces users to use payments/receipts/ inter account transfers etc thus ensuring mistakes are not made as too many people (myself included) never know which way round to do the debits/credits. Other programs I believe support journal entries for bank transactions because it has always been done this way. This does not make it a good way to handle these kind of transactions and Manager does a better job of making transactions more simple to use and more importantly to prevent user errors which is common when you can do too many things in Journal Entries.

The target market for Manager is small businesses like mine where the vast majority of people using the program are business owners not accountants. So it has been designed with simplicity in mind and to prevent as much as possible user mistakes creeping in. I support removing the need for using Journal entries as much as possible to keep it as simple as possible for people like myself.

The key question is what transaction do you need to use bank or cash in a journal entry? You should be able to do everything relating to bank/cash outside journal entries and far more error free?

Another example, the developer @lubos mentioned many years ago that he wanted to remove the need for reverse journal entries - although this has not yet been implemented - My Accountants Feedback of program - #17 by lubos