Issues with v21.6.45 Mac - Starting Balances; Divisions; More

Before I go into detail, just want to shoutout to @lubos for always updating Manager. Sometimes it can be really frustrating when my workflows keep getting broken by the changes, but I do appreciate that this means you really put a lot of work into developing the software.

When creating a divisional balance sheet, Manager is not taking into account starting balances (at least not for special accounts - have not tested for normal accounts).

I use control accounts for various investments, with special accounts for different brokers. So I may have Barclays on my balance sheet, and then BCS - X and BCS - Y as special accounts linked to that line on the balance sheet. Many of the special accounts have starting balances from when I took over the accounting for the client. I have created a division X and division Y, because I want to have a balance sheet showing how much of BCS and other investments is held at each broker as at the year end. When I generate the balance sheet for division X and Y, some of the holdings are showing up as negative, because it is not counting the opening balances. I have tried using a custom report as a workaround, but that is not taking into account the starting balances either. Also - maybe I’m missing it, but it doesn’t appear that you can use custom accounts to show special account balances.

The report I’m trying to generate is ridiculously simple, so its really frustrating that there isn’t a way to do this simply. Currently my best bet is to go to the special accounts and copy to clipboard, but this doesn’t conform to the date restrictions set on the summary page. So to do that, I would have to make a backup, delete all transactions after the point I’m looking for, and then do that, which is a ridiculous amount of effort for such a simple report. The other option is to manually click into each control account to see the breakdown, but with a few hundred of them across clients, that would take forever.

Other issues I’ve come across since updating (last version was from January sometime):

• Is there a reason that custom reports don’t have clickable numbers like the P&L/BS? That would be really helpful to quickly correct any errors found when using custom reports for recons, or just to get more info on a transaction.
  • It used to be that if I type 1/1/2020 in the date field, it would pick that up. Now I am forced to type 01/01/2020 for it to pick up.
  • I used to be able to copy a date from excel and just click anywhere in the date field and ctrl v, and it would update the whole date field. Now it just pastes it in between the existing characters, so you have to first select it all/delete it before pasting in. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but with large volumes of transactions this adds up…

Other things that would be very useful:

• I want a report of all GL transaction in a period, with P&L and Balance Sheet accounts not mixed up within each other. I’d like it to show BCS - X: Opening Balance; Transactions; Closing Balance.
  • To be able to use the GL transactions report filtered by more than just one account. Currently you can choose a single account, or all accounts, no in between.
  • Being able to create a custom report showing the balances of special accounts would be great, even with the above divisional balance sheet sorted out. I still use control accounts for other things not related to the different brokers/divisions.
  • Custom reports have a ‘contra’ field, but I can’t seem to get this to work. I do a lot of journal entries and then use reports to check that I haven’t made any errors. This would be a lot easier and more reliable if I can see what the contra of an entry is.
  • It would be awesome if I can create a custom report showing all the dividends/withholding taxes etc and show which tracking code (now division) is attached to each transaction. I use the tracking codes so I can track revenue by investment, and currently there is no feasible way to reconcile that I have allocated everything to the correct tracking code, given the volume of transactions. The dividends etc are fine because I have set up bank rules to handle that and remove the possibility of errors, but I still do a lot of journal entries, for example to recognise expired option premiums as income - I put a tracking code on these, but it is easy for me to make a stupid mistake on this when doing a large volume of these entries.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks again for all the great work improving Manager.

It would help if you provided screenshot examples of an edit screen of a special account and for divisional balance sheet report both edit and view.

That’s something the developer said is temporary and should be back once he finished his work on it.

Couldn’t follow you there so you will have to be more specific on this.

Also, the number of issues discussed in this post is way too many and really distracting so maybe you should break it up into multiple post so that each issue gets due attention.

For the divisional balance sheet, an example is below. ENGIE is held in two brokers, ‘X’ and ‘Y’. Both were held before I started doing the accounting for the company, so I have them as starting balances on 31/12/2017. The negative amounts listed there on the BS are the movements in book value since 2017. So they should both be positive if it was taking starting balances into account as a balance sheet should do. Redactions are just for client privacy, the specific numbers don’t change anything.

As for the dates: I export the activity from brokers, and use that to enter my journals. I click on cell A4 with a date, and ctrl+c. I then click into the date field of the journal entry on manager, and go ctrl+v to paste. I didn’t have to first delete the current date in the journal’s date field before doing this - the date I pasted in overrides the old one. This no longer works. It now inserts it into the existing text. So if the journal’s default date is 26/06/2021 and the date I copy from excel is 12/12/2020, if my cursor was at 26/0[cursor]6/2021, if I hit paste it would become 26/012/12/20206/2021 instead of automatically removing the current date and replacing it with 12/12/2020.

In regards to Starting balances not appearing in Divisional balance sheet, see this post and reply by Lubos.

Thanks. Glad to hear its being addressed. @lubos any idea when the starting balances allocation to divisions should be resolved by? I need to do AFS in the first half of this week, and this would be really helpful in doing recons and creating schedules.

Starting balances for divisions should be fixed in the latest version (21.6.66)