How To Split A Data File Year Wise

How To Split A Data File Year Wise.
I would like a new data file every new financial year and retain the opening and closing balances for the respective parties. ( I would like to bring down the size of my backup files ). The suppliers, customers, chart of accounts should be the same.

You can only do this by creating a new year business data file - transferring the lists (suppliers / customers) and re-creating the closing balances in last year’s business data file as opening balances in this year’s business file. The Chart of Accounts will need to be re-created.

Not largely different to transferring from another accounting software package to Manager.

@nitinraheja, I suggest you create data file template (copy of basic data file populated with latest lists as per @brucanna suggest using export and batch update. So when ever you want to have separate years of financial period. export the previous list and batch update to the template, manually update charts of account, and of course define starting balance based on previous year end of financial period. Backup the data file template elsewhere as not to mistakenly enter the transaction in the original data file template.

but then again is a hassle to do all of this. ~.~ Why not just keep as single data file as is, You can always delete the oldest backup.

With the low cost and massive capacities of memory storage devices these days, worrying about keeping backup files small seems unnecessary. The work of starting over every year is considerable. And the inconvenience of scattering your records through several files could be large. How big are your backups? (Look on the Businesses page.)