End of Year Rollover

How do I archive prior year data?
I have used this program for 6 years of data.
I now have a 21GB data file and growing.
Please help

There is no mechanism available at the moment to archive data.

You could backup your data to an archive file and then use the batch delete to delete transactions upto a previous year end, set a new start date and enter opening balances but this could be fraught with problems and I would not advise this

What is the problem? 21GB is not an issue in today’s world of 1TB disk drives.

If you have a lot of attachments you could back them up and then remove them

You can get rid of the attachments and details and see the file size after that.

You can do so by:

• Backup business without emails and attachments
  • Import the new backup file

See here, for example, Max size backup - Manager Forum

Thank you.
Only trouble is that GMAIL baulks at 21GB

Correct me if I am wrong, @Peter_Lowe, but it sounds like this not an issue of how to back up Manager data, but of how to move the backup around by email. That is beyond Manager’s control.

I assume this is an issue when you give a copy of your business file to your accountant.

• I just sent a pen drive with all relevant data on it.

• Encrypting the data, storing it on a hosting service then emailing a link is an alternative

• As @Joe91 suggested above, deleting old attachment from the copy you send, is also likely achieve what you want, but without built in Manager support is probably more effort than it is worth.

Tut,
I am working remotely.
I just want to send the current years data.
Not all the data for the last 4 years

Just send the reports?

Most accountants will be happy with the usual reports and a copy of the GL Transaction report

They can always import the transactions into Excel if they need to analyze them further

OK,
Just so I know.
Is there or is there not a way to only send the current years data?
The information is not for the accountant et al.

That depends on what you are trying to communicate and to whom

If it is a bank, then copies of P & L and Balance Sheet should be sufficent

If it is other shareholders or partner, same with maybe more details

But I can’t really guess what it is you are trying to achieve

Most businesses do not give out their transaction details to all and sundry

@Joe91 in posts 2 and 8 gave options that you could use. If you just need the summary information you could also enable the period in summary settings (see screenshot) and copy and paste the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss (select these with your mouse) into a spreadsheet such as Excel.

Note that Manager uses perpetual accounting, thus assets, inventory, etc values continue, hence the need in @Joe91 option 1 to set new starting balances if you delete any prior data as definitely these would no longer be 0.

Everyone else has addressed the edges of your question. Let me get right to the heart of things.

No, there is no straightforward way to send transaction records for only a defined period of time, be that the most recent year or any other period. Reports can be defined for any date or period, as applicable, and tailored in many ways. But those are results of data processing, not the “current years data.”

1. Manager is a perpetual accounting system so relies on past year data. If you actually sent just extracted data for this year it would not represent your financial records.

2. Exactly what do you mean by “data”? If you mean your financial records without attachment then Manager can easily create such a backup which probably would be less than 21 Mb

If the problem is you do the accounts for a small business but need to share the data with other people in the business.

While you have been working from home you have been emailing copies of the business accounting file around.

If so then stop doing that and buy a cloud subscription for the duration of lockdown and use that instead

Or move the application data to storage location accessible to all. See https://www.manager.io/guides/10348. Just be sure everyone updates their Manager software at the same time.

Given the IT techniques currently being employed, I believe the cloud solution would be more reliable.

No dispute, @Patch. Just an alternative.

Thanks to all,
I will do it the old fashioned way before computers came about.
Roll up the necessary accounts to P&L accounts by journal. Do balance day adjustments. Then open new business and post relevant balances to new company.
With the lockdown what else is there to do

You would benefit most from