How can I group inventory items together for easier purchase order or sale order?

Firstly, congratulations for your hard works and a great piece of software.
I have nail color bottles, hundreds of variation. Different groups of colour range. I don’t know how to group them. When I put together a purchase order, I have to tick each bottle from inventory items for says 250 colours. I created an inventory kit for a group of colours. I can’t find option to select that group in purchase order or sale order.
Can someone point out if and how I can do it. Thank you

Unfortunately, Inventory Kits can’t be select under Purchase Orders as you can only purchase in the individual items into inventory, not groups of items.

But they can be selected under Sales Orders - just click on Item as for any other inventory item and the created Inventory Kit should be listed. It may assist, if you gave all Inventory Kits a common start so they are all grouped together, IK-Red, IK-Blue

Thanks Brucanna,
My main intention is to quickly check the inventory level. Any advice on time saving at the purchase order? Each colours set are around 50 items. It about 5 different sets I have to order. So 250 clicks to compile a purchase order and to record the new stocks. Thanks for your time and attention.

Using IK in sale order works a treat. it updated in the stocks level as well. Thanks
Only if it works the same in Purchase order, please!!!

I would probably have pre printed order sheets of each set which can be completed while doing the inventory level checks and attach them to a Purchase Order (keeping a copy for yourself).

The line item description on the Purchase Order would be: Set Red - as per attached sheet.
I am assuming that within the Reds there would be various quantities: Light Red 3, Mid Red 10, Deep Red 1.

The pre printed order sheets can be created within a spreadsheet programme. This would still leave the Purchase Invoice to be entered per individual colour.

Sorry, not possible. For it to work as a reverse of the “Sales Order” then you would only be able to purchase in Sets and not colours with differing quantities.

Questions

1. do you mainly buy in sets or individual colours ?
  2. do you mainly sell in sets or individual colours ?

Depending on your responses you could structure inventory handling in a totally different way which would minimise your data inputs substantially.

Hi Brucanna
Thanks
I have to buy and sell both sets and individual colours. Sets are for new ventures and individual colours are for re-stocking small orders.
When I tested in inventory kits, all individual colours in the set are recognised as each item. After a sale transaction is completed, even though I sold it as a set, it updated the stock levels on individual colours. I thought it could work the same on purchase invoice too.
How about grouping function? Can an individual item be under a certain group?
Anyway learning loads from you guys, thanks

This is unrelated to your ongoing discussions of kits. But one way to reduce the workload of creating purchase orders is to choose a previous purchase order that is similar and clone it. You might also use the Copy to... function to generate one matching a sales order or other document. See this guide for the options:

https://forum.manager.io/t/creating-purchase-orders/7210

Thanks Tut,
It might be a good idea for me to make a master copy of purchase order with all colours in it, and then clone one, delete all the unwanted ones. Cheers

That was my first thought, although you would be deleting a lot of line items if you only ordered a few colors. Still, it is always easier to click the X to delete than to add new lines. Have you considered simply copying the sales order to a new purchase order? That way, you would be replacing exactly what you sold. Of course, you could edit those quantities before making the purchase order final, as needed.

The solution to reduce the volumes of data input is the following;

Consider that you have two storage areas - (A) for sets and (B) for individual items.

1. Then in Inventory create Items for the Sets - Set Red, Set Blue, etc.
  2. Purchase Order/Invoice inventory in Sets , so max of 5 items.
  3. Then for the Individual items, internally transfer a Set from A to B via a Journal set up for each Set. Once the initial Journal has been created, then it can be Cloned each time a Set is moved from A to B.
  4. If there are popular individual items (exceeding the number in the Set), then only those items need to be Individually ordered - perhaps a master order (100 v’s 250) could assist here.

For Set sales, use the inventory above instead of the Inventory Kits.

PS: Could also simplify stocktaking, counting Sets instead of individual items

Nice one, Tut
Didn’t know about the copying a sale order to a purchase one. Thanks, that will be a great help.

Thanks, Brucanna
Great advice, potentially it could save a lot of time. I will let you know how it goes, cheers

When it comes to the Journals, don’t get to pedantic with changing the pricing with each Journal.

If a Set cost 50.00, then each item would be 1.00.
So if the Set price goes to 52.00, then just add a rounding line to the Journal of 2.00 rather then change 50 items to 1.04. The rounding would go to P&L COGS account called “Set Rounding”.

Then you can make a Management decision as to when the Journals Individual pricing gets adjusted - every 6 months or if the price varies greater then 0.nn per item.

I suggest to use any property(may be product name) as your main group.Than you can add another property(may be company Name) as your second label grouping. Than you can can Add any other property(may be size) as third label grouping and you can add fourth label groupings for colors. In this way you can group your products as you with wish,Variation is no matter for you.

Mohammad Ali