DESKTOP EDITION CLOUD EDITION SERVER EDITION GUIDES FORUM

Grouping of Tracking Codes

I work in a company in which tracking codes can be a real benefit for the company.

They have heavy equipment, and the want to use tracking codes to track expenses and revenue for each equipment. The only missing problem here is that they want to view the overall performance of each group of tracking codes. for example some tracking codes need to be grouped under excavators, other group of tracking codes need to be grouped under dump trucks, and others under wheel loaders, and so on.

I found this grouping feature is available in odoo accounting system, and it is not a big deal.

I think if you implement this idea, it will make a big difference in manager.

Thank you for your time.

Yousif

This is contrary to the underlying concept of tracking codes, which are meant to group income and expenses posted to various accounts, not to be grouped themselves. In other words, tracking codes are the grouping mechanism. They were originally conceived to allow profit and loss reporting of different divisions.

The way to do what you want is to establish income and expense accounts for each piece of equipment and group those on the chart of accounts by category.

Generally, it is better to keep records simple in the chart of accounts, and use other tools to make more detailed analysis.

For example, we can have an expense account called “Equipments Repair and Maintenance”, this is more convenient for the accounting reporting purpose rather than “Excavator repair and maintenance”, “Loader Repair and maintenance”, “Dump Truck repair and maintenance”.

Then we can open a tracking code the following way:

• Excavator 001
  • Excavator 002
  • Excavator 003
  • Excavator 004
  • Loader 001
  • Loader 002
  • Loader 003
  • Dump Truck 001
  • Dump Truck 002
  • Dump Truck 003

Then if we have grouping tools for tracking codes, we can assign each equipment to a group. Sometimes even groups can be nested inside another group. This way you can have a beautiful nested and multi-level tracking codes (aka cost centers / profit centers / departments). Then you can run reports against various levels of those groups to see the complete picture.

I’ve seen many local accounting systems utilizing this methodology to keep accounting records clean and simple, but still enhance the level of analysis.

Kindly I am requesting you to take more further look into this functionality.

Thank You

I understood what you asked. You cannot do it in Manager.

Then maybe you should use one of those if that feature is so important.

I’m not the developer. I am a forum moderator.

It is not that I want to use different software, I have been using manager for long time now, and I can see how this software have evolved over time to become very powerful and competitive.

I am writing my ideas so as to contribute to the software developmemt because I want it to be more and more developed and full of features.

@Joe I’m with you with this proposal. I think it would be very useful.

I second this input.

As being able to group tracking codes, or assign sub codes who help me hugely in my current situation.
I’m the treasurer for a small community group. All of our income is from fundraising but we like to monitor this income and the related expenditure by event, to see which are worth re-running for the following year.

We run two fairs a year which are much bigger events and so break the income and expenditure down again by stalls, for the same reason as above, but just need it grouped on the years Income and expenditure. A ‘grouped’ tracking code would mean we can compare that whole event to other events for the year. but still offer that detailed analyse for the overall event.

Lets hope @lubos will consider this in the future.

I agree that this concept needs to be listed on the agenda, even if the end result is a tool which isn’t a grouping of tracking codes - so I will transfer this topic to the ideas list.

Yes this topic needs to be under ideas. I have also talked about having parent Tracking Codes and subs or and even sub subs.

Take for example, Company XYZ is doing so many projects, one of the projects is rural population empowerment. Under this Major project, there are many sub-projects. Now we want to create groups for rural population empowerment project and the other main projects. Under rural population empowerment project group we have 3 other projects; 1. Farming for Income (18 months program), 2. Financial Planning 6 Months program) and 3. Vulnerable and Persons with disability support (24 months).

We want to create the sub-projects as tracking codes but when selecting them, we want to select rural empowerment (group), before it shows the tracking codes under that specific group or associated with that parent group. When generating reports, the user will just select the whole group if they want a whole group report or select a subsidiary tracking code if they want a report for a sub-project.

Another use case is Creating Donors as groups for an NGO and putting their projects under their groups. The user can easily generate a report for the group (all projects sponsored by a Donor) and a report for a sub-project (one project of a Donor)

Another use is creating a Group Tracking Code for tracking sales guys (for the purpose of easily calculating commissions and to compare sales agents) ,we can call this group ‘Sales Agent’ and put names of sales guys under it. We can create another group in the same business for business divisions or something (e.g. Finance, HR, New York Branch…). By selecting the group before selecting the tracking code (sub code) you avoid having all created tracking codes displaying. only the codes associated with that group will show.

There are many more situations for which a feature like this would be so useful.

Thanks for promoting this subject to the ideas list

Had suggested this idea when the tracking code was implemented, albeit I 've lacked of good scenarios to present at that point of time. So it was ignored.

Good to see there is someone pressing the idea back again.

Thanks for putting this to the ideas list.