German GAAP (GoB)

Maybe I was clumsy in my first topic “Basics Of Accounting”. I never wanted to blame anyone for anything.That does not lead to any useful result. I never wanted to ignore the rules of conversation. If I did not answer to a question it was not my intention. Please accept that I am offline from Monday to Friday. And I did not complain at all. I showed up some facts.

Let us communicate at a professional level now. I do not expect an answer or counter statement to my posts. Please think about it, check it, make a decision and improve the software. No endless discussions. Just ignore it when I am wrong. I do not need any explanation. I am not sad about it.

I still think that manager is a good software and it can become a very good software. But it has to be improved permanently. The mass of updates show that you work on it all around the clock. My first requests were fulfilled immediately. A great tribute to all.

My later statements to the German GAAP (GoB - Grundsätze ordnungsmäßiger Buchführung) are all correct. The instructions in other countries are not interesting for me at all. Naturally you have to satisfy a lot of instructions all around the world. I agree. Please regard my statements as suggestions and not as critism.

In fact the software can be improved for german users according to the translation and the german GAAP (GoB). This must not be ignored.
Examples:
debit = Soll (Not “Belastung”)
credit = Haben (Not “Gutschrift”)
assets = Aktiva = Vermögen
fixed assets = Anlagevermögen
current assets = Umlaufvermögen
accounts receivable = Forderungen aus Lieferungen und Leistungen
cash at bank = Guthaben bei Kreditinstituten
cash on hand = Kassenbestand
liabilities & equity = Passiva = Kapital
equity = Eigenkapital
liabilities = Verbindlichkeiten
accounts payable = Verbindlichkeiten aus Lieferungen und Leistungen

This is fundamental knowledge.

By using some tricks it is even possible to create a BS that almost looks like a “Bilanz”.

For example you can notice your Equity as “A. Eigenkapital” at Liabilities. But then remains the positon Equity (“Eigenkapital”) once more below without any value.

Further the BS positions are usually displayed in bold letters but the “Groups to collapse” positions are displayed not in bold letters.

Then ask to become a translator for German language… but again, you have to keep in mind that not everyone has to be compliant with GAAP. So you are changing the translation for your own personal needs.

BTW you can rename every single account as you like so I don’t see where is your problem. You are making confusion between software translation and chart of accounts that can be fully personalized. So, my suggestion, is to create the chart of account as you like it.

About Equity it seems that you are managing it in a wrong way. It seems that you manually created your own account (A. Eigenkapital) instead of using (and renaming) the one managed by Manager (Equity). You better learn how to fully use Manager following the guides.

The only thing that maybe @lubos can add is the possibility to rename also Asset and Liabilities and not only Equity to be completely free with the chart of accounts labels.

This is a completely subjective request about report formatting.

2 Likes

@josefbrunner, download latest version first, switch to german language,
check what you get,
compare with what you need.

check translation table at : https://www.manager.io/translations/de

Since yesterday I am a registered translator for German language.

I created my own chart of accounts long ago.

About Equity I indeed had to manage it in a wrong way to get nearly the wanted result. Yes, it is possible to rename Equity. But it is not possible to change the position of Assets, Liabilities and Equity. Manager offers the layout Assets = Liabilities + Equity. I need the layout Assets = Equity + Liabilities.

That isn’t true. You can set it in both way in Manager.

If I understand correctly, you feel listing balance sheet items in the order

• Assets
  • Equity
  • Liabilities

Is the best representation of

• Assets = Equity + Liabilities

It does keep the positive amounts together.
Rather than the mathematically equivalent

• Assets = Liabilities + Equity

Despite the fact no arithmetic operators are shown on the summary page or report now.

In contrast listing the balance sheet accounts in the order

• Assets
  • Liabilities
  • Equity

Is a logical representation of

• Assets - Liabilities = Equity

Even though Manager no longer displays the “less” / subtract mathematical operator.

@JosefBrunner while I can see why some may prefer this order, are you aware of an official requirement to utilize your preferred order, if so please share it.

PS
My personal preference is to use “Assets - Liabilities = Equity” and showing the mathematical operator explicitly.

How?

Sorry I read it wrong. I read that you were able to see only Assets - Liabilities = Equity and you needed the layout Assets = Liabilities + Equity

You cannot invert Equity and Liabilities. BTW it’s the first time that I see a requirement of a layout Assets = Equity + Liabilities. I don’t think that it’s a difficult implementation for @lubos.

But, what’s the scope of it? Usually you start from the most current assets/liabilities and you end up with the long term ones… ie equity on the right side. I ask just for curiosity.

BTW you are referring to GAAP but on internet I can only find the classification that is currently used by Manager, ie from current to long term items.

(In Germany) there is a general difference between the Inventory (Inventar) and the BS (Bilanz).

The “Inventar” is a detailled list of Assets and Liabilities to calculate the Net Assets = Equity.

In this case the layout Assets - Liabilities = Equity is absolutely correct.

The “Bilanz” is a resumed comparison of Assets and Liabilities.

For this use the layout Assets = Equity + Liabilities is better (for German users).

It is just a question of the perspective.

Maybe you try this link: Bilanz – Wikipedia

Sorry, I don’t speak German.

So it’s a metter of preference, not a law requirement.

It’s up to @lubos to enable this third kind of classification. I don’t see why we shouldn’t have a this extra possiblity, maybe together with the freedom to rename “Assets” and “Liabilities”.

In Germany it is indeed a law requirement (§ 266 HGB).

Ok. Let’s hope that there will be an implementation of this third reclassification

The Third Classification would help but what would help too is the possibility to move Equity (Eigenkapital) upwards or downwards in the balancereport like all other balance-items.
Similar legislation is also found in The Netherlands but not for all businesses. Only when you meet specific requirement like balancetotal, number of employees etc. you have to setup your balance in the way @JosefBrunner wants Manager to present the balance.

Correct. The ultimate solution is to move all balance-items.

§ 266 HGB is the example for the complete balance sheet of big capital companies. However the general structure is the same for all businesses in Germany.

If a software wants to satisfy them too it has to fulfill the strongest instructions. I acknowledge that this is an enormous aspiration but sometimes easier to do than it seems.

Let’s work together to improve Manager for all users.

I think that what you are trying to achieve can only reached through the full implementation of Report Transformation, ie a sort of Excel linked to other reports inside Manager.

We use manager for alternative investment funds (AIF regulated by ESMA) that have to follow a complete personalized CoA. Even if we transposed this CoA in Manager the last passage is done in Excel since we have to calculate also the value of the Quota (NAV divided by number of quotas) and the % of each amount of each account of the BS divided by the total amount of assets and liabilities.

Not a big job but still done in Excel.

I hope for you that the third reclassification will be implemented but I don’t think you will get all that you need. This, hopefully once the new reporting will fully implemented, will have to be done by users of each nation.

Only under this point of view, your statement

makes sense. Otherwise I suggest you to search a more localised software.

@josefbrunner, you did a great job on the latest translation review!
i would like you to review your translation for Sales Quote (s) before it
gets uploaded with the next version
Sales Quote is an offer or quote you will be sending to a customer = Angebot
" Sollvorgaben für den Verkauf " doesn t make any sense.

@josefbrunner let us review translation for payer and payee

payer and payee is used in Receipt & Payment Tab and in
Expense Claims Tab.

translation " Zahlungsplichtiger " works for Receipt & Payment,
but in Expense Claims it was kind of confusing for me.
that s why i translated it by:

Zahlender = payer ( person who buys a dinner for a customer
and claims for the expense )

Zahlungsempfänger = payee ( customer who enjoys the meal )

in this case " Zahlender " and " Zahlungsempfänger " should
work for both Tabs.

maybe you have another idea for german users ?

third option would be, the developper @lubos offers a second
translation option for the Expense Claims Tab

Can someone help me out here? What are we trying to achieve? As we have, among others: