File version vs Windows version

Hi all, i downloaded Manager today to get all new updates again, but then i got a error message:
“The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running. Check your computer’s system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) of x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher”
can someone please help? i still have windows 7 running on my computer.

See

thank you but now i am getting another error.
if i uninstall and download it again, does that mean that i will lose all data added to manager?

x86 or x64

Your error message suggests an incompatible with your version of Windows and the software you are installing. So how about we start with

1. What version of Windows are you actually running. Perhaps a screenshot

2. What version of Manager are you actually trying to install. Please include the actual version number. There are 2 windows desktop types.

3. About how long ago did you last successful update (weeks, months, years)

Ps
Manager Windows 64 bit v20.9.79 installed OK on Windows 7 64b professional for me.

No. None of your data is ever in the application itself. All your data is in a business data file in your application data folder. All versions of Manager call this data. See this Guide for more information: https://www.manager.io/guides/8394.

So i can uninstall and then download it again?

I have w7 and i tried to download the version that’s now available for installation via the page. Sorry, i am not in front of my desktop to check the version number. And i think the last time i update my desktop version were in July or August.

Do not uninstall anything. Update according to this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/22936.

Hi Tut, thank you for the reply.
I did follow the above steps… i used the alternative download, it downloads the file, but as soon as i open to run it, i get the error that another version of the product is already there.
So this morning i just clicked on install, without seeing that there is 2 versions.
So i currently have the x64 and x86 in my download files.

I don’t know what the Add/Remove Programs control panel might do, that is, whether it might try to remove all files associated with a program. So, just to be safe, make a backup of your Manager application data. (You will need to do this for all businesses you may have created individually.) For this purpose only (not for regular backups), you can back up to your desktop. Then remove the 64-bit version of Manager. Then repeat the installation process for the x86 (32-bit) version of Manager.

After installation, launch the program. If your businesses are not present, import them from the backup you made before starting this process.

@Epic_Doors, another non-windows user here, I agree with tut, make a backup of your business files and then try to remove any traces of manager that you have pre-installed.

You could try going through the add/remove programs and making sure they are all removed, that should fix any registry links that may need to be removed as a result of the installer itself, but without ever having used it on a windows box, I’d only be speculating.

I do suspect there are traces of manager that you are going to have to remove manually, @lubos would be the best to to advise, but on a mac and in linux, he created a hidden folder in ~/.local/share/Manager which maintains some information used by manager. Suggested from the following link, it may be AppData\Local\Manager and you’ll need to enable view hidden files.

Hopefully a windows user may be able to jump in and give you a better idea. Good luck

My instructions here - Manager will not launch - #13 by dalacor might be helpful for you in removing and re-installing Manager. Manager will not launch - #13 by dalacor

Basically you need to uninstall Manager from add/remove, completely remove any ngsoftware entries from registry, remove any Manager folders, reboot and then install again. Obviously backup your businesses first!

You are probably running a 32 bit and 64 bit version on your pc. Or trying to.

You need to check if you are running 32 bit or 64 bit windows 7. Windows 7 can be either. So you need to check that first. You are probably running 64 bit as its rare to run 32 bit nowadays.

The issue here is that i can’t open Manager at all, so can’t make backups of my businesses.

I am running a 32-bit

Ok, so i took a leap of faith and uninstalled and then downloaded Manager again, and all is good now.
All my businesses are there and it looks like nothing is missing.
Thanks for everyone’s time and effort. I am just so glad that nothing went missing…

That’s excellent news.
Probably worth both backing up and seeing where your data is stored (as you can backup directly there without running Manager by just copying the files there)

Will do, thanks again