Delete a sales invoice for which I already executed the "receive money"

How do I delete a sales invoice of which I already stated I have recieved the money? I tried to go to Edit and then Delete, but then I get the pop up saying: “This record cannot be deleted because it is already referenced by another object.”.

I have tried to browse the forum on this one but couldn’t find a solution. Any help would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “which I already stated I have received the money”? Can you expand upon the full set of circumstances. You would only delete an invoice if it was created in error (say duplication). If the existing invoice has a payment associated with it, then it is un-delete able,

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
Sorry for my English, not my native language.
I am afraid you answered my qyestion in the last sentence. Yeah I wanted to delete it because I made an error in the invoice and I want to correct it. Why is it un-delete able? This is my bookkeeping, I can not correct a mistake I made because the program thinks thats a bad idea?

If you made an error in the Invoice, why don’t you just correct the error by editing the invoice and click update? No need to delete it.

I have just discovered this program and have been busy entering my bookkeeping for this year this far. But I made a mistake and entered one invoice from January twice and then clicked the receive money option… now I want that invoice to go away because my bookkeeping is flawed due to that invoice…

@RS81, you can in fact delete the invoice if really necessary. But to do so, you must first “unwind” the entire string of transactions. So you must delete the receipt of payment first. That is the “object” to which the warning message refers. Once all such dependencies are eliminated, you will be able to delete the sales invoice.

However, it is a poor idea to delete an invoice you have already sent to a customer. If they overpaid you as a result, issue a credit note. If they underpaid you, issue another sales invoice for the additional amount and explain what happened to the customer.

The program is designed to preserve data and minimize the possibility of accidental deletion. Imagine how upset you would be if you clicked a Delete button instead of the nearby Update button and lost your record. But anything in Manager can be edited and updated; default fields can be overwritten; etc.

If you have entered an invoice twice, did you also enter the money twice?
If you only entered the money once, then one invoice will have the money and the other invoice should be unpaid. Therefore you should be able to delete the unpaid invoice without a problem.
If you have entered the money twice (both invoices), then you need to delete one of those money entries first then you can delete the invoice which shows as unpaid.

1 Like

Hey Brucana and Tut,

thanks for your efforts to help me out! With regard to your explanation Tut, this makes sense. I was just a little surprised that there could be a situation where I can not undo a mistake, but now I understand that’s not the case. Only thing I can’t figure out is how to delete the money entry. I am looking at the sales invoice (which has a stamp on it that it has been paid), and I want to remove it’s money entry so i can rmove the invoice. But where do I do that?

In general I am very enthusiastic about this program, it’s a very easy way of bookkeeping.

Thanks in advance!

Go to Bank Accounts or Cash Accounts, depending on the source of money you entered to pay the invoice. Click on the account balance figure in blue. Click Edit for the transaction in question. Click Delete and confirm. Basically, any transaction in Manager can be deleted in a similar way: navigate to it and Delete.

Go to the Bank Account tab, select the Bank account (if you have more then one) by clicking on the blue figure. This should list all the transactions, click the edit button next to the transaction - scroll to the bottom and click “Delete”

Thanks guys, awesome!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Bug allows deletion of sales invoice with future receipt allocation