An invoice added to the next invoice

I just had a question about one payment for multiple invoices (One Payment for multiple invoices).

Now I don’t know how to solve this:

I have an invoice, which I didn’t pay yet.
The supplier sents a new invoice, with the new amount and the open saldo added to it.
If I pay and book the second invoice, all debts are paid, but the first invoice stays unpaid.

How to handle this correctly?

Go to the Purchase Invoices tab - click edit next to the first invoice which you want to remove. Scroll to the bottom and click Delete.

Ah! I didn’t know I simply had to delete the previous invoice, but it is logical.

Slight addition: I have to delete the payment first (I also “spent money”, resulting in double payment of that first invoice, but I didn’t think about that until now), before you can delete the invoice.

Thanks!

Hey,

But what with this situation:

I have an invoice for, say 220 euros, I pay 200. Then the next invoice comes, with a new amount, but also the unpaid 20 from the previous one. How can I book that?

Besides, is just deleting an invoice the right way to handle invoices? Couldn’t I attach or link the first (unpaid) invoice to the second (where I pay the first invoice)? This way, I can find my invoice back WITH the link to the new one (so I know it’s paid with that one).

Deleting accounting records is always a poor idea. But this situation points out improper accounting procedures by your supplier. A true sales invoice should only be generated once, not added to subsequent invoices.

They may be doing what is called statement billing or statement accounting, where individual sales invoices are created, but their customer is sent a statement showing all invoices with balances remaining due, received payments, etc., with the net result being the amount owed after all invoices and payments to date. If that is what they are doing, just enter the purchase invoice for the new billing items. That way, you are not entering something a second time and deleting its original entry.

A convenient way to handle payments in that situation is to allocate the payment to Supplier credits rather than Accounts payable. Manager will automatically allocate the payment to the oldest invoices first.