Custom Report not showing Tracker Code of Payslip

It’s very urgent and today is the last day for submitting Salary report to my boss.
Actually the issue is that I have generated a Custom Report using below selections:

Although I have used tracking code while making Payslip below is an example:

But the report is showing tracking code of only items gone through Payment and not through Payslip, Here is an extract of report:

@lubos please help me at earliest, actually I don’t have enough time to prepare a report in excel, otherwise would have done it, the number of line items are very high.

I’ll be obliged if you sort out this issue, thank you.

hey @Tut ,
do you have any idea about this, can you help me??

It is impossible to tell anything because you only showed part of your custom report definition.

The provided screen shots have shown everything needed to illustrate that the Custom Report is not displaying the Tracking Code for Payslips, whereas for Payments it is showing the Tracking Code.

1 - Employee “Rajesih Rai” has an Earnings item with tracking code “Om Sai Pushp”
0000000%20Bug%203a

2 - The Custom Report criteria under “Select …” has “Tracking Code | Name” selected.
0000000%20Bug%204

3 - The Custom Report hasn’t outputted the Tracking Code description next to the Payslip item whereas it has next to the Payment item.
0000000%20Bug%204a

I will list this as a Bug.

1 Like

Yes @Brucanna you caught it right,thank you for your concern.

Thank you @Brucanna & @tut for your replies.

Hope it sort out soon, I want to give thi report by Monday now😅

Custom reports are not always so obvious in the results they produce. So diagnosing why they don’t produce what is expected is not always so simple. Your screen shot shows you have at least two conditions under Where. The unshown one(s) might be affecting your results. Until someone can reproduce demonstrably erroneous behavior, I am taking this out of the bugs category.

I also point out that the general ledger transaction involving the payslip is a balance sheet transaction and probably does not have the tracking code variable associated with it. @Ashish_Mishra, this is related to another topic you and I have discussed in a separate thread.

Even if I don’t put condition, the result is same.

Then why there is a option of tracking code in Payslip?
You mean to say Only Payment will be assigned to Tracking Code and not Salary (which is also a P&L item)
Because when we create Payslip, it hits 2 item:

1. Employee Clearing A/c which is a B/S item
  2. Salary A/c which is a P&L item.

and your this point is not acceptable at all, if something is difficult then we shouldn’t attempt it??

We have talked about payslip generation, & here I’m talking about something lacking in report generation.

What is meant by this?? Why are you so resisting to help someone, if one moderator has put this into bugs category, you are removing it because you think you are right??

@lubos please interfere here, we are here at this forum to share our issues and difficulties, but @tut always thinks that there is a not a problem at all everytime.

Regards

Because, when you enter a payslip, Manager creates a double entry. The credit goes to Employee clearing account, which does not allow tracking codes since it is a balance sheet account. The debit goes to Wages & salaries, which does allow tracking codes.

No, I mean exactly the opposite. As I’ve explained to you already in another topic, the actual payment to the employee affects only balance sheet accounts.

I did not say that. I only pointed out that understanding the results you obtain in a custom report can be challenging. Manager is a complex program that writes and calls data in a complex database. As users, we don’t have visibility into everything that happens, so creating reports that extract and process data from the database isn’t necessarily an obvious process.

I don’t know if you are aware of this, but until the exact day you first posted on the forum, this capability did not exist at all. You had to be able to code SQL queries to obtain even crude custom reports. There was no documentation at all. Since then, the feature has evolved rapidly, and is still changing. Few people have much experience with it. And the only Guide covering it is fairly simple. So please don’t complain when people are trying to answer your many questions.

Yes, but what puzzles you about the report is directly related to how payslips work and is possibly the explanation for what you see.

This means the developer does not consider things to be program bugs that have not been duplicated in more than one installation. If you had posted a complete screen shot of your custom report definition, I would have duplicated it by now, in less time than it took you to write a post complaining about it. The fact is, over the past several weeks, I’ve spent considerable time helping you personally. And now, I’ve probably spent more time answering your latest post than it would have taken to duplicate or explain why you’re seeing what you think is wrong.

Actually, no one creates more original bug reports than me. And every one currently in the bugs category was placed there by me. But there is no point in putting something there and diverting resources if the software is not malfunctioning. Misinterpretation of how the software works does not mean there is a bug.

So, I suggest that if you want help understanding why you are seeing what you do, you post the full custom report definition.

ok will post the complete form by tomorrow.

Wait,I have the remaining part, hope it will help you @Tut

This you can use in continuation of the above image.

Thanks for your time.

If you want any additional information, please do let me know. Also if you gonna testing it know then I will awake to give you the information.

Because its already been 12am, so do let me know.

There are several things to tell you about, @Ashish_Mishra.

First, my belief that tracking codes are not associated with the transactions posted to the general ledger balance sheet account was correct. There are several aspects to this:

• The amounts you highlighted in your first post with yellow arrows are the total amounts from the payslips going to Employee clearing account. Rajesh Raj, for example, had two sources of earnings with two different tracking codes. But only the total is displayed. If two separate transactions had been entered, the program might have distinguished the tracking codes, but it still would not have applied them, because the credits were to a balance sheet account. The tracking code entry on the payslip is only applied in the expense account, Wages & salaries (or wherever you assigned the earnings item).
  • This is illustrated to some extent by looking at the payslip entry form. Notice that deductions do not even offer the tracking code field. This is because they are posted only to a liability account on the balance sheet, so there is no possibility for tracking codes to be relevant. For the earnings items, on the other hand, tracking codes are relevant for the legs of the transactions posted to expense accounts:

Second, by choosing General Ledger Transactions, I am fairly certain you are excluding subsidiary ledger transactions. Employees are subsidiary ledgers of a control account, Employee clearing account. My thinking on this is contradicted by the fact that bank and cash accounts are also subsidiary ledgers, yet individual line items and their tracking codes are picked up from a payment and shown for them. As an example, here is one of my test cases:

This may be a sign of incomplete implementation of custom reports so far. The same thing occurs with expense claims, where expense claims payers are subsidiary ledgers. I just don’t think implementation is complete. But, to the extent it is, the program works correctly. So you really cannot classify this behavior as a bug. The program is doing nothing incorrectly; it just does not yet do something you might like.

Having said all that, the question remains of how to get you a report with the information you want. The answer, of course, depends on what you are trying to show. Your screen shots suggest you want to show (1) advances to guards with corresponding tracking codes and (2) payments with the same tracking codes. I think you can do that a couple ways:

1. Add a conditional test under the Where category to specify that Transaction contains Payment. (This is case sensitive.) That eliminates payslips from the report. Your advance payments would show, as would your payments against payslips. Both could contain tracking codes.
  2. View the report you already have and click Copy to clipboard at the top. Then open a spreadsheet and paste it in. You might need to adjust column widths, but you would have a formatted report. Simply paste the tracking codes you want in wherever they are blank. That would be less work than starting from scratch.

I will put this topic into the ideas category and invite @lubos to review whether more can be done with subsidiary ledgers. (There may be technical obstacles.)

Actually there is other employe “Pramod Jha” for which I chosed only onle tracking but still the result is same (Highlighted him too with yellow arrow).

Yes you are correct, this may be the perfect reason for not getting tracking code there.

I think in custom report we should have more items such as earning, deductions & contribution and there should be tracking code besides deductions & contribution items as well because your point is very much correct that if we chose Employee clearing A/c it will take net earning and that’s why it don’t consider tracking codes.

Thanks @tut for escalating it.

Regards.

I only mentioned Raj to show that the transaction was for a total amount, not individual earnings items on the payslip. This illustrates that the general ledger entry being listed is the one posted to the liability account. You can prove this by adding Account | Name to the list of displayed fields. The number of sources of income on the payslip is irrelevant to the fact that tracking codes don’t show. The point is that there are no tracking codes for the Employee clearing account.

ok ok got it
but my point was just that if we do this:

then if I want to see only amount towards earning only or deduction only or contribution only (tracking code wise) then it will be an addition to manager.

When it comes to general ledger, tracking codes can be applied only to debits or credits of profit & loss accounts only. This is because it makes sense to get profit & loss statement by tracking code but it makes no sense to get balance sheet by tracking code.

Unfortunately, currently some transaction types (e.g. payment) allows to set tracking code on balance sheet accounts too. That’s not what is intended and eventually won’t be possible.

The issue here is that you are simply asking for wrong custom report. If you need to show tracking codes, you need transactions across profit & loss accounts. Perhaps something like this:

Which will be:

Obviously this example is still incorrect because Payroll liabilities is balance sheet account but that can be excluded from the report too.

accepting your all points with due respect but Custom Report mean a report that can be customized as per client’s need.
But You are correct that it is not correct to assign balance sheet items to a Site.

I’m opening a new topic and I’m closing this one because my point is illogical I think, I have got better idea rather which I’ll discuss in other topic.

Thanks @lubos :blush:

Yep its not correct to assign balance sheet items.

Welcome to the Manager forum, mhabubark

But there is no need to add comments to 3 year old topics.

Manager has progressed a lot in the last three years and the topics are often out of date and no longer relevant