Custom Report Examples

Thankyou @Patch and @Davide for taking the time to assist me.

I still do not understand the “Is not Checked thing” but want to move on and try to generate some custom reports by experimentation. So, regarding the previous report (where I wanted to show all amounts of a particular non-inventory amount for a particular customer) - how do I stop the GST amount showing in this report? I tried deleting the “Tax on Sales” selection and the amount disappears but the text still remains in the report. Thanks again

Let me see if I can explain in a simple way.

We are in the field of the double entry accounting. So, for example, for a sale invoice of a service you will have on one side (a) the revenues for the service (P&L) and a Tax Payable (BS Liabilities) and on the other (b) an Account Receivable (BS Assets).

What we are trying to get is an unbalanced report, ie the revenues from sales (may Luca Pacioli forgive me, LOL). So we have to decide on which side of the double entry accounting we want to stand.

The richest of information, under my humble point of view, is side (a) since you have the description of the service, the GLA, the Tax code and so on.

So… how do we filter the information?

We have to esclude Accounts Receivable.

How can we achieve this? We have a specific flag under General Ledger Account. “Is Accounts Receivable”? NO! So we have to choose “is not checked”.

errrr - no don’t understand that at all - sorry. Let’s leave it at that - I will never get it.

Meanwhile, I deleted the entire line “Where GL account is AccountsReceivable and is not checked”…and the report is exactly the same as if it were included!!
So, it looks like I dont need that.
What I DO need is to NOT have the GST amounts showing (so just the invoiced amounts) - how do I achieve that ?

Maybe it is because you are filtering invoice with another WHERE clause.

Is GST a tax?

For each invoice you can choose three different “amounts”: Amount, TaxExclusiveSalesAmounts and Tax on Sales. First one is tax inclusive, second is without tax, third is tax only.

Yes GST is a Tax. I am not filtering anything other than what you gave me as an example before. The only thing I have changed is that I have deleted the line regarding the Is not checked as it produces the same result.
To recap, I am trying to get a very simple report that shows the amounts invoiced for a Customer and for a particular non-inventory item. I do not want to see anything to do with Tax on this report.
How do we achieve this?

Sounds very similar to the last example Lubos gave when introducing the new custom reports

You just need to select the amount you want displayed

You need to decide exactly what you do want shown. The easiest is just displayed any thing which sounds interesting to start with, try it, then use what ever works best for you.

Use my report replacing Amount to TaxExclusiveSalesAmounts and Tax on Sales

I have decided and written here in this forum exactly what I want shown and not shown - I just cannot get the expected result. This is a very simple report - it shouldn’t be taking a week to sort out - surely?
To repeat - I want a list of all the amounts that I invoiced a particular customer for a particular non-inventory item. I do not want to see any Tax amounts added to the list price.
How to create this?

I have already done that - but it still shows a line for the tax in addition to the info that I want

Can you post your custom report definition screen and result screen.

here is the definition screen (using most of the fields kindly given by @Davide).

and here is the results

How to I remove the line for “GST Payable”?

Where GL account is not “gst payable”

Or

Where GL account isProfitAndLossAccount is checked

Note your
Where GL account isAccoutsReceivable is not checked
is a very specific exclusion. The second option above would make this redundant (assuming you have a conventional COA structure).

By the way, when writing the
Where General ledger account
test you need to think about where the entries are normally shown in your chart of accounts. Or more specifically can you identify a feature or your chart of account which will include the entries you want or exclude ones you don’t want. That is what all the checked and not checked options listed in the above post was trying to show Custom Report Examples - #25 by Patch

Amazing - simply removing the erroneous Where GL account isAccountsReceivable is not checked - and replacing it with Where GL account is not “gst payable”
Or
Where GL account isProfitAndLossAccount is checked - makes my report show what I want.
So that takes care of one of my Obsolete Custom reports, which I can no longer view. A big shame really because it was SO much easier in the prior versions as per this screenshot

How did we ever get to making Manager so complicated ? Wasn’t its strong point the ease with which novices like me could easily grasp the general accounting concept?
Anyway, I will attempt to go through all my other OBSOLETE reports. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

1 Like

I probably shouldn’t respond but have anyhow.

I agree redoing reports which were working to your satisfaction is harder than doing nothing. Hopefully it doesn’t turn out to be a traumatic as you feared.

I disagree the new custom report writer is anywhere near worse than the old report writer at accounting data. It is much better at filtering the financial transactions. More data is exposed. In can easily generate reports which were just not possible with the old custom report writer. In your example filtering was done in 3 just lines and was simpler than the prior implementation.

While the new custom report writer is very good at displaying the accounting data (a key feature for an accounting program in my opinion), it does have less capabilities at general database reports. This is a consequence of the peripheral database tables no longer being directly accessible (eg customers or suppliers without any accounting transactions).

Custom Reports have many possibilities. Many way to represent Report. I Just Try to give an idea how anyone can use their thoughts to generate reports as they need.
My example only for explain of how its work. Not for anyone’s report’s Need.

Who wants benefit of it ,needs to use his experience of this software to generate custom report.

That’s It

I have similar report, but I think including GLA is redundant, because I pull data from Sales Invoices, and as I understand you are asking for same thing. To remove empty lines it is sufficient to filter out TaxexclusiveSalesAmount is not zero. So I have this for that report

Good day Davide and thank you for your contributions on the forum. I have been following custom report examples but some how compused.

Please help me do a custom report that I can view DATE, TRANSACTION and AMOUNT.

Thank you

Transactions of what

• Inventory items
  • customers
  • supplier
  • employees
  • expense claim payers
  • Fixed assets
  • Particular accounts
  • Or other transactions properties

Choose them in the “Select…” section of the custom report

PS. The date is always shown where relevant in the current version of custom reports. It can not be manually positioned or disabled.

I have attempted using the TaxExclusiveSalesAmounts on custom reporting on invoices. I get both the Tax Excluding (Sub Total) and the GST including (Total) in the report.
How do we exclude the Total from manifesting itself please?
In the example for simplicity I filtered out one invoice only.

Ex_GST

See Select criteria

Any help will be great, thank you.

If you also display (Select…) the account, I suspect you will find this is an effect of Manager being a double entry accounting system.
The solution is likely to be adding a filter (Where…) to chose one of the entries.