Changing Application Data location

A few thoughts:

1. This behavior of the program remembering old locations sounds like something I encountered a month ago when bugs were being worked out of remote drive storage. (You may recall I had problems after trying to duplicate your original problem back then.) Be sure your software is up to date.

2. From your description and the error message, it looks like you are trying to back up to an accounting file rather than a folder. Is d7ee8a...f0a.manager the name of your active accounting file (the one that changes when you enter data, which according to you is on Google drive)? Or was it the name of a file before you successfully made the switch to Google?

3. Can you navigate to /Users/Clive/Financial Stuff/Manager Files/Current Files by pasting that into the Finder’s browsing window? If so, post a screen shot of what is there.

4. Do the same thing for the Google drive folder where your application data is located. (Nothing proprietary should show. If it does, obscure it.)

5. If there is a file named data in the folder referenced in #3 above, open it with TextEdit and post the contents. It should only contain a file path.

6. If there is a similarly named file on your Google drive, do the same and post its contents.

I just created a brand new folder on my Desktop named Manager:

42 PM

Clicked Backup in one of my test companies. Got the Finder browsing window:

53 PM

Navigated to the new folder and clicked Save. Backup file saved correctly and shows up in the folder:

07 PM

So the Backup function works correctly, at least in v17.7.97. So the question is why that old location keeps popping up. One possibility occurs to me. Go to /Users/USERNAME/.local/share/Manager, where USERNAME is your user name. Post a screen shot of what you find. If there is a data file there, open it with TextEdit and post the contents.

Hi @Tut
re 2 above - yes this is the name of my live accounting file, which is on GoogleDrive

re 3 above - trying to navigate to that path (Users/Clive/Financial Stuff/Manager Files/Current Files) produces nothing as I deleted Manager Files and Current files folders and their contents.

re 4 above… here is the screenshot

re 5 - there is no folder or contents
re 6 - there is no file named ‘Data’

When I navigate to /Users/Clive/.local/share/Manager I can see a file ‘Data’ the contents are…

I suppose I could try to recreate the folders in the original path and copy the live file and then see if it will do a Back Up - does this sound feasible?

@clive, the error message tells us that Manager is looking in the wrong folder to find the file to backup. I would have thought that Manager would use the Data file to know where to look, but obviously that is not correct – the path in your Data file is correct.

Have you done a backup since moving your business file to Google Drive, or is this the first time you have attempted a backup?

This is the first time I tried to back up since moving to Google Drive

Try creating a new business. It will be created in Google Drive. Once you have created the business, try to do a backup. Can you successfully backup the new business?

I actually created a new business a few days ago and I cannot back it up either - same error message unfortunately.

ok - found the solution. Somewhat sheepishly I can tell you that I quit Manager, reopened, and can now Back Up

Sorry about that guys !!!

I’m running macOS Sierra, and noticed a few comments throughout the thread asking for another tester.

Would you like me to test anything on my machine, or has this been thoroughly resolved / investigated now?

Happy to help any way I can.

To the best of my knowledge, this was all resolved back in July.

Excellent, good to know. I’m considering moving my Application Data
directory to Dropbox eventually anyhow, just wasn’t sure if I should
move up the timetable a bit.