Capital Accounts Not Found

I have recently discovered capital subaccounts in Manager. Prior to that, I used a “Due to Member” account to record all member personal expenses/deposits to. In an effort to utilize the subaccounts, I created a journal entry with the intent to move the totals from the “Due to” account into the Manager capital subaccounts. The entry was to debit the owner’s equity and credit the owner’s draw sections of the “due to” account; opposite entry would be coded to the capital subaccount. I entered the account number for capital accounts in the first section; however, when I went to choose “which” capital account I wanted…with the hopes of being able to choose a subaccount thereafter…I received an error message “no matches found”. I tried deleting and re-creating capital accounts as well as capital subaccounts with no luck. Anyone else have this issue?

This screenshot shows the Capital Accounts I created:

This shows the Capital Subaccounts:

In this screenshot, I have the “Due to Member” account under “Long Term Liabilities” and am trying to move the totals to “Equity” under “Capital Accounts”, even further to “Capital Subaccounts”:

This is the Journal Entry I generated. The last line shows the error message “No matches found” when I went to choose which member’s capital account, and further hoping to choose which subaccount:

Thanks,
Maile

Let’s start with realizing that there are no “sections” of your Due to Member - RZ account. You created a custom control account comprising special accounts, each of which reflects debits and credits posted to it.

I am guessing what you mean by this. There is no “opposite entry” for a journal entry. The journal entry contains debits and offsetting credits. I assume you are just referring to the credit. That viewpoint matches what you tried to enter in your journal entry.

It looks like you have created additional custom control accounts comprising capital accounts. Your 3000 - Capital Accounts is one such control account. However, you did not assign any capital accounts to that control account. So they are all still assigned to the default control account, Capital accounts. Therefore, when you select 3000 - Capital Accounts, you see there are no matches. This is not a error message. It is a statement of fact.

You also need to find out what is contributing to your Suspense account and correct those errors. Beyond that, you have what appear to be other unusual elements and organizational aspects to your chart of accounts, but those are beyond the scope of this topic and response.

I did not include a print screen of the breakdown of my “Due to” account because I did not realize it was relevant:

What I meant by “opposite entry” for a journal entry was the difference between the debit to owner’s equity and the credit to the owner’s draw would then get coded to the appropriate capital subaccounts: credit to owner’s equity (owner’s deposits) capital subaccount and a debit to the owner’s draw capital subaccount.

I did not mean to offend when I referred to the “No matches found” as an error message. In my eyes, there is an error on my part some where otherwise I would not have received that message.

Yes, my “3000 - Capital Accounts” is a control account:

And I believed I had assigned the capital accounts to the aforementioned control account:

This next screenshot is only to show how I entered the capital accounts. When I created them, I was not given an option to attach the capital account to a control account:

As for the suspense account, it is directly related to this issue because that is the exact amount I am off in the Journal Entry screenshot I provided earlier and in the one below:

Until I resolve this issue, my suspense account will not be as well.

I realize I may have done something wrong and am merely seeking advice. I have reviewed the posted guides as well as perused various forum topics and have not found anyone else to have this issue. This leads me to believe that this is NOT a bug within the Manager Program but rather an operator error, namely myself.

If I did not assign the capital accounts the control account properly, may I please be pointed to a guide that I may have missed. There were two I read, “set up and use capital accounts” and “use capital subaccounts”, and I followed the directions given…or so I thought.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and the time it takes for you to respond.

No offense taken. I was just pointing out that there is a difference between an error message and a built-in response of the program to entries you have made.

Now that you have shown more, I withdraw my earlier comment about this being a custom control account. It is not. It is the default control account for capital accounts to which you have added a code. That is why you had no option to assign capital accounts to another control account—you don’t have another control account to which they could be assigned.

So the question is why you are showing no matches when you have three capital accounts. I cannot, in fact, tell, partly because your screen shots are too small to read and their resolution is too poor to blow up. Please try capturing screen shots by some other method that allows them to be expanded.

However, it appears you may have two capital accounts with the same name, one of which is inactive. So try these things, in this specific order, and report the results:

1. Make the inactive capital account active. Does that change the program’s behavior so you now have capital account choices?

2. Make sure all capital accounts have unique names. If they were the same, did changing them to be unique make any difference?

Thank you @Tut, I will try to provide a better screenshot for you as well as try the suggestions you offered and report the results soon.

I am providing “reprints” of the screenshots in hopes that they are clearer. This one shows the “3000 - Capital Accounts” as a control account:

The assigned Capital Accounts:

Screenshot of what the screen looked like when I entered a capital account:

I hope this works better…if not, I could try uploading in a PDF.

Manager Screenshots 10.18.21.pdf (1.2 MB)

Mnger Scrnshts w Suggestions 10.19.21.pdf (1.2 MB)

I have also tried deleting the journal entry and starting a new one. Please let me know if there are specific screenshots you would like to see, I’d be more than happy to provide them.

Providing a reprint of screenshot w/suggestions in case it is easier to see rather than via PDF:

Suggestion 1
Screenshot BEFORE any changes to the capital accounts:

Screenshot AFTER the inactive capital account was changed to active:

Journal Entry after inactive capital account was activated, same result:

Suggestion 2
Screenshot AFTER changing the inactive capital account name to a unique one:

Journal Entry AFTER unique capital account name was change but left inactive:

Changed unique capital account to active:

Journal Entry AFTER changed unique capital account to active:

Journal Entry shown in the “view” screen…just so the suspense account and amount could be seen:

Summary screen showing the suspense account is the same amount as the journal entry as seen above:

Thank you, @mailez. The screen shots are both clearer and can be blown up. They all confirm what I thought I was seeing.

For you, the business is behaving exactly as though there are no capital accounts assigned to the control account, Capital Accounts - 30000. But I cannot figure out why. So please do this. Go to Settings > Chart of Accounts and post a screen shot of the Equity group of your chart. Then post a screen shot of the Edit screen for that account.

Also, not knowing what order you did things in, I had another idea. Try adding another capital account and see if it shows up. The idea is it would have been added after all the other fooling around.

@Tut here are the screenshots as requested. I’m hoping this will resolve the mystery…

Equity group of chart of accounts:

Edit Screen for Capital Accounts - 30000

Again, many thanks!

@Tut Perhaps this could be the reason? They say “inactive” but the edit screens are different. The following two screenshots are the edit screens for the XXX Equity-Inactive accounts as shown on the chart of accounts:

These accounts are not related to your problem. They are just ordinary balance sheet accounts you created. You included the word inactive in their titles, but the accounts are not inactive. (The boxes are not checked.) I don’t know why you created them, but you probably don’t need them and could delete them unless they’ve already been referenced by transactions.

I need to think about why capital accounts that look to have been set up correctly would not show up when your Capital Accounts -30000 account is selected.

Thank you @Tut for taking time to help me with this. I look forward to what you are able to figure out.

Greetings…checking in to see if anyone has had any luck figuring out why my capital accounts will not show up when I select them? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

@mailez, I have spent quite a bit of time looking at your screen shots and building a test business to try to duplicate what you are seeing. I cannot replicate this problem. But I notice one puzzling fact. Your Capital Accounts tab listings show you now have 3 capital accounts, currently named (or renamed) BBDF, Randy Zimin, and Bristol Bay Development Fund. However, the tab counter window for Capital Accounts in the left navigation pane in the next to last screen shot in post #9 shows you only have 2 capital accounts.

You have played so many strange games with your chart of accounts and journal entries, I think you may have caused the program to lose track of capital accounts—at least for certain purposes. Additionally, you have some very strange components in the Equity section of your chart of accounts:

• Since Manager is a perpetual accounting system, there is never a need for an Income Summary, which would be used during closeout of financial periods in old-fashioned accounting structures.
  • Opening Balance Equity is never needed in Manager. Long ago, the program used an automatic account named Starting balance equity to force the accounting equation to balance when mistakes were made setting starting balances. But this no longer exists.
  • Net Income is not a balance sheet account. It is the difference between revenue and expenses on the P&L side of the chart of accounts.
  • Your two equity accounts with inactive in their names are not needed once you set up and use capital accounts correctly. However, because you have used them, you will not be able to delete them.

I don’t know if this will be feasible, but, if I were you, I would try to correct the misuse of capital accounts that has occurred. This might involve deleting and re-entering substitute transactions for all prior transactions that used the special accounts you now know you did not need. The reason you will have to go back to the beginning and redo everything is because your journal entries transferring everything to the correct capital accounts will prevent deletion of the old, incorrect ones. Of course, you will want to create a backup before starting any such work. It might be easier to start a new business and enter starting balances to accomplish this goal.

I see @AJD is working on a response, as well. I look forward to seeing what other ideas may be suggested.

@mailez your screenshots show that in the Capital accounts list you have 3 capital accounts, but in the screenshots where the Capital accounts tab is visible the tab count is always only 2. I would try deleting capital accounts one by one until these numbers match