Batch Update Issue

Dear @lubos

I’m finding an inconsistency in how Manager exposes the hexadecimal keys around the batch update tables. If it’s a reference to an external table you’ll have the key without the dashes (“-”) if it’s internal you’ll have the dashes.

Since I’m creating some automatisms through excel linking different tables, this is a big issue. You can’t link the tables. Can you please fix it?

Thanks

Could you give me some examples what you refer to? E.g. what screen you are looking at to do batch update and which columns are inconsistent?

Dear @lubos, here is an example.

If I export Sales Invoices through batch update and I look at the column “Customer” I find this key: 87d5d578-401f-410d-bc9b-23bc087fcb1f

If I export the Customers though batch update and I look at the column “Key” I find this key: 87d5d578401f410dbc9b23bc087fcb1f

The same key without “-” which makes it impossible to create any kind of relationship between the twos. I think that they should be consistent.

The latest version (19.2.2) makes it consistent.

Hi, new to this, wonder if anyone can help. I’m trying to migrate from another account system and find that i have to manually enter a lot of information even after batch updates/creates:
1 - the headers of the sample spreadsheet don’t seem to match the actual form e.g. customer invoice or supplier invoice, so i can’t enter the same information
2 - how to do batch upload paid invoices. right now i am actually having to update each invoice individually
3 - what does this mean? “key” 87d5d578-401f-410d-bc9b-23bc087fcb1f and i dont know what this key relates to
would be grateful if someone could help
thanks very much

Following your numbers, @Yogo:

1. The information is the same. You just don’t recognize the variable names, because they can be different when comparing the database (what you see during batch operations) and the transaction entry forms. As a simple example, the sales invoice form refers to “Customer,” but in the database, this is “Recipient,” because that occupies the same place on forms as “Supplier” on a purchase invoice. This sort of context-specific naming occurs in many places.

2. You shouldn’t be entering paid invoices when migrating from another system, only unpaid invoices as part of starting balances. There are several Guides about starting balances.

3. The only way to know what the hexadecimal GUID’s mean is by trial and error. If you search the forum, you’ll find many topics about this. Plain language naming has been promised for the future.

Thanks for the quick reply. I see.
A few more questions please:
What about current year paid invoices? Can they be batch uploaded?
Also, there are two boxes for “Description”. Should I be putting in the same information?
Is it possible to create your own template invoice in the free desktop version?
Where does the automatic foreign exchange rate come from?
For the desktop version, does any data get sent back to Manager.io?

What about current year paid invoices? Can they be batch uploaded?

If your starting balance is from 31/12/2018 of course you have to upload them. Yes they can be batch uploaded

Also, there are two boxes for “Description”. Should I be putting in the same information?

One is a header description. The other is a line description.

Is it possible to create your own template invoice in the free desktop version?

Yes

Where does the automatic foreign exchange rate come from?

No automatic exchange rate in manager. You have to insert it from time to time. At least once every time you close the balance sheet

For the desktop version, does any data get sent back to Manager.io?

As far as we know NO. It would be illegal!

No need to enter them. The customers’ starting balances are established by unpaid invoices.

The top one is a summary level description of the entire transaction. Those on individual lines give details for those lines. If it’s a single-line invoice, they might be the same. No financial impact either way.

Custom themes can be created in all versions. See https://www.manager.io/guides/10368.

It’s just a placeholder when you download the program so you aren’t dividing by zero and such. It is never updated.

No.

So the invoice template can just be customised with themes (ie colors), you can’t change the text or enter your own info into the template?
Re: exchange rates, please point me in the right direction for entering exchange rates
Thanks for your help

@tut. That’s not correct. It depends on what starting date he needs to respect by law. I would say that in many states at least he should start from 1/1/2019 and recreate all the transactions from that date.

You have to find an official exchange rate that recognised by law in your country. What did you use for your previous balance sheet?

Well, my point about setting starting balances was correct. The idea you brought up is not about how to set starting balances, but instead how to decide when the start date is.

He was asking about the “current year paid invoices” and you said he didn’t need to insert them. He needs to set the start date from day one of the fiscal year and insert all the movements from that day, ie 99,9% from 1/1/2019

This is not true. And the Guide I linked to does not say that. Also, the term template can be confusing. Several years ago, there was a sales invoice template feature in Manager. That no longer exists, having been replaced by themes, which apply to all transaction types. Read this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/10366.

Go to Settings > Exchange Rates. The option is not available until a base currency has been set.

Not necessarily. That is certainly one way to migrate to Manager. But you can also migrate part way through a financial period and combine profit and loss statement results from two accounting systems at the end of the period. (Balance sheet accounts will be correct, assuming starting balances are entered properly.)