Added new tab - "Currency Revaluations"

The latest version (23.7.13) is adding new tab named Currency Revaluations

The purpose of this tab is to be able to debit or credit foreign currency accounts in base currencies without affecting their foreign currency balances.

In previous versions, multi-currency revaluations have been done automatically. While convenient, this was causing numerous issues.

The new approach to handle currency revaluations through what I’d call a “Worksheet method”.

The “Worksheet method” will calculate the figures on demand which can be then copied onto New Currency Revaluation transaction. So you are in control when revaluation is done and what figures are going into your ledger. Most businesses would do it only once a year or once a quarter. Depending on reporting requirements.

The worksheet is named Foreign Currency Revaluation Worksheet and it’s under Reports tab.

This worksheet will calculate both realized and unrealized gains across all your foreign currency accounts.

There are 5 columns

• Foreign Balance (this is sum of all transactions in foreign currency)
  • Exchange Rate (this is exchange rate defined on the report for the purpose of revaluation)
  • Adjusted Balance (this is Foreign Balance multiplied or divided by exchange rate)
  • Current Balance (this is sum of all transactions in base currency)
  • New Currency Revaluation (this is a difference between adjusted and current balance which is your currency gain / loss)

The report has also section on realized currency gains (losses) which calculates how much of those gains and losses are realized per foreign currency. The figure is not clickable yet but I’ll make it so it’s easy to see how it’s calculated. The the final total on the report is your unrealized currency gain (loss).

The results can be copied to New Currency Revaluation transaction using the button within the report.

So in nutshell, I’m taking away ability to have foreign exchange gains and losses fully automated but in exchange I’m delivering ability to calculate both realized and unrealized foreign exchange gains and losses.

There are more benefits to worksheet method.

Since Manager is not automatically inserting entries into your profit & loss statement, you are now in control how and when currency revaluations are done. Or even what accounts you do want to revaluate. This will make drilling-down into your ledger accounts more straightforward and easier to understand.

Another benefit is that if you are doing adjustments to past transactions, these adjustments won’t have side effect that will cause your currency gains and losses figures changing automatically unless you run the worksheet again to pick up those changes.

Currently, both automatic and “worksheet” method are working in Manager side-by-side. Automatic recalculation will be disabled when you create the first currency revaluation. Eventually I will remove automatic recalculation module and worksheet method will be the only way forward. But for now, I’m keeping both methods in the system so this inclusion doesn’t break anything for existing businesses while we keep improving the worksheet method.

6 Likes

Please implement this feature because there is one business that despite doing the same was with others does not have automated accounts for:

Realized currency gains (losses)
Unrealized currency gains (losses)

I try to understand why as all of them have “Currency Revaluations” enabled in Custom Settings. In these businesses there are Forex Loan amounts setup in Special Accounts and only in one business with identical setup does it not generate the currency revaluations as expected nor does it show in P&L the above automatically generated accounts.

@eko for existing businesses, dynamic rolling recalculations will be enabled for foreign currencies. You need to turn it off under Settings then Obsolete Features then Dynamic Rolling Recalculations then uncheck Foreign Currencies

@Lubos, I followed your instructions but still no sight of:

As mentioned other existing businesses do not have this problem and work as expected. The exchange rates of these businesses have been volatile and have the same entries for each. So one would expect the same significant (losses), but there is nothing appearing for one of the businesses.

I’m not sure where you are stuck. Have you created Currency Revaluation Worksheet and copied the results into New Currency Revaluation transaction?

See: https://www.manager.io/currency-revaluations

Yes, I did, and for other businesses no problem, they show correct. Only this one and it has the same exchange rate entries, the same Currency Revaluation Worksheets (monthly since 2018) and creation of New Currency Revaluation transactions as per guide.

But what is the issue? Currency Revaluation Worksheets not showing expected figures?

@Lubos, the Currency Revaluation Worksheets show the expected figures for all the businesses. However, for one business it does not show any currency gains (losses) The issue is that unlike the other businesses one does not show any of the following accounts in P&L sheet reports :

The Currency Revaluation Worksheet shows correctly the losses and the total is significant similar to the other ones but it does not show anything in the P&L reports.

Also the Summary Screen does not show these (automatic) accounts.

These accounts are added to Chart of Accounts only after you create the first currency revaluation.

The Currency Revaluation Worksheet only calculates the figures. It does not affect general ledger. It’s only when you copy the results from Currency Revaluation Worksheet to New Inventory Revaluation, only then it will affect general ledger and those two accounts will be automatically added.

These businesses do not have inventory. The calculations are based on Forex loans to the businesses> other show correct. A snapshot of the business’s 48 Currency Revaluation entries is below:

As mentioned for this business the two accounts were not automatically added while for others they were.

I meant to write New Currency Revaluation

So what you are saying, the business that has 48 currency revaluations does not have:

• Realized currency gains (losses)
  • Unrealized currency gains (losses)

on its P&L?

In addition note:

Part of Worksheet list:

Currency Revaluations tab (repeat):
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 05.31.29

Settings Obsolete Features as recommended:
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 05.30.05

Custom Settings:
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 05.29.47

Indeed that is what I am saying while for the other businesses it is.

My view is that it’s not possible. How about Chart of Accounts. You don’t have those accounts either?

If not, can you send me that accounting file to lubos@manager.io ?

I figured out where I made mistakes!

1. For whatever reason the newly created accounts were grouped under Admin Expenses.
  2. I did not see them in Summary because I did not enter 2023 figures yet and the Summary Screens were set for January 2023 to date.

Sorry for the inconvenience and unnecessary bother. Thanks!

Yeah. That was the only logical explanation. Glad it’s resolved.

1 Like

Could you please make the date sortable.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 07.11.14

@Lubos, gentle reminder to please make the ForeignCurrencyRevaluationWorksheetList sortable. I want it to show most recent first but can not get to that because Date is not clickable. See post Added new tab - "Currency Revaluations" - #16 by eko

1 Like

Maybe advanced search / custom report / query