3 months of data lost

@Mark, it sounds like you are starting a new business for each accounting year. Manager is a perpetual system, so you should not do that. Read the Guide about closing accounting periods.

No loss of data? Are you kidding? why do you think I started this thread? For fun? Please explain where those 3 months of data are. As I already mentioned, I could only get most of them back by importing the backup file from 2020-09-19.

Nonsense. You can place the application data folder whereever you like, as also this guide describes.

I know exactly what I’ve done. Maybe you need to read the thread again?

There’s only 1 unknown file present and that is the file SBSE____.VX5, which could be a SyncBackPro or Synology Drive index file. But non-manager files don’t have any effect on Manager, do they? So they cannot be the reason for losing 3 months of data.

Why? I see no difference between using a remote application data folder on, e.g., Dropbox (as described in this guide). This guide says: `avoid confusion and potential, accidental recording of accounting transactions in the wrong file, remove the business from the application data folder, leaving only the remotely stored copy. Do you see any business files in the application data on my laptop in the screenshot I posted in comment #9?

You answered your own question in posts #1 and #4:

That is why I said no data was lost.

I did not address whether you can place the application data folder wherever you like. I said you had “been moving files, backup up businesses, importing businesses, and copying folders without fully understanding what you were doing at the time.”

Your various comments and the results of your actions indicate otherwise. When you ask, “Is this normal?” and have inexplicable files in your application data folder, that strongly suggests you are not aware of what you have done or the consequences of actions you have taken.

This is not true:

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.20.49 AM

None of these were created by Manager. There are also many files in your Trash folder that do not follow Manager’s naming convention. So they do not appear to have been put there by normal program operations. What I said was that you do not seem to know where these came from. Your response to that was that “non-manager files don’t have any effect on Manager, do they? So they cannot be the reason for losing 3 months of data.” While the files themselves will be ignored by Manager, the way they got into the application data folder could very well be related to your difficulty locating data.

Yes, I do: the business named Sample business. This is probably not related to your problem, but it is a business file. More importantly, you apparently took these screen shots after considerable manipulation and moving of files, so they are of questionable value in trying to reconstruct what happened to cause your situation.

@Mark
My guess of what has happened is; your set up has resulted in you inadvertently using a 3 month old Manager data file. To understand how this will happen consider the default data storage arrangement Manager uses

Default Application Data location
Manager configuration
Business data files

Manager has the facility to move the location Managers business files are stored. When do the recommended way it results in the following data storage arrangement

Default Application Data location Alternate Application Data location
Manager configuration
Business data files

Now consider what Manager should do if the alternate application data location is on a network drive and

1. Connection is temporarily lost when working on a business. Writing the updates as soon as the connections is reestablished would be good for most users resulting in transparent management of a temporary interruption.

2. Connection is lost when Manager first starts up. Continuing to function (with only the default data storage location) is also optimal rather than just crashing. With the recommended set up this will result in no business files being shown.

3. If connection is not present when Manager first starts but is re established while Manager is running, optimally like case 1, Manager should then start using and showing the business files it now has access to. From the users perspective they see all their business files appear when the connection is re established.

Now consider the storage configuration you have inadvertently generated

Default Application Data location Alternate Application Data location
Manager configuration Manager configuration
Business data file Business data files

While Manager has access to the network drive using the configuration file at the default data location and business files at the alternative location will function as expected.

The problems is Managers fault tolerance will mean you will not know if you temporally loose the network connection and inadvertently open the local data file. You are also at risk of later over writing a newer data file with old data.

I would strongly suggest going forward you remove old copies of business data files from the default location when using an alternative Application data file location

To reduce the risk of other users making the same mistake, perhaps Manager could always show data files at both the default and alternative data location, resulting in duplicate business files always being shown

1 Like

Well, I found out the reason: on my previous laptop (laptop 1) I had Manager using the standard local application data folder and used SyncBackPro to perform backups storing them on my NAS.

On my current laptop (laptop 2) I installed Manager but indicated in Preferences to use the application data folder on my NAS and imported the business file into Manager from there. From that date on (it must have been the date of the business file, e.g. 2020-07-12) I used laptop 2 to perform the accounting entries in Manager in the main business file (the one ending with 2020; I don’t use the other business files).

This week I had to get some docs off laptop 1. SyncBackPro must have backed up Manager’s local data folder overwriting the contents of Manager’s folder on my NAS.
Lesson learned.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback

That’s not the folder I was talking about, I meant the folder with your current databases, the dates are all after you identified the problem…

You mentioned “on my previous laptop”, when did you upgrade your laptop? What is in the manager config file?
––––

this was in drafts because I’ve been busy this long weekend with kids and business etc, but as soon as I read “previous laptop” I knew where your issue laid. That was the first mention of you using another system and let me just remind you, running a shared data file on a network with access my multiple instances of manager is fraught with danger, especially with SQLite, manager versions becoming out of sync (ok, the database might be the same schema and may open, but you risk using different reports, invoices, receipts, inventory, or whatever Lubos is working on today).

I sensed when you insisted running manager from a laptop accessing a NAS, you were stretching reliability and risking corruption, and that’s only exacerbated by accessing the same file from multiple work stations. If you need to do that, consider the server version. There is a free trial and it’s made to work in the sort of environment your trying to use, and it will be much more reliable and stable. And easier to update in one location.

I’m glad you identified the issue. Good luck moving forward.

Oh and @Patch, excellent breakdown of the default locations and description. You should bookmark that for Re-sharing that in the future.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Upgrading Server Edition from Old Mono version

Thanks for the support.
Unfortunately while the description of the active file locations is OK, other parts are not entirely accurate.

• The guide does suggest duplicating all files from the default to the alternative location

• Manager continuously writes to the file system so if connection to a remote data file is lost, the user can be alerted while entering data.

• Manager could be improved by: when the Application data file location is changed, Manger could move files between default and alternative Application Data Location (if not already present there), and move data files in the old location to the “trash” file. However the current behaviour works and there are many other ideas, so the change is hard to justify at the moment.

There could be valid reasons for purposely leaving files in the default location, where they would no longer be updated. As long as the application data folder path is properly set, they will be ignored. I am not saying I would recommend doing this, but automatic removal would interfere with this.

Just FYI: I realised I had totally forgotten that the Synology Drive app uses file versioning so I was able to fully recover the overwritten business file. :hugs:

ROFL!! That’s awesome!