[18.8.59] Merging "Bank/Cash Transactions" tabs into "Receipts & Payments"

@Tut in the new Receipts & Payments tab now you have to choose the account and i am sure there are people there with a lot of bank and cash accounts to choose from, for people who input bank transactions manually, using bank accounts tab will help a lot, also maybe i am wrong but i dont think pending deposits and pending withdrawals are so many and wide spread in bank transactions to overshadow and remove the need for new Receipt and new payment from the Actual balance tab.
I am not a programmer or developer and i may be wrong but i dont think is very difficult to add those buttons in the actual balance tab as it has been before

I believe not only me but a lot of people will find thise useful

@Genti_Ge, the issue is not how difficult it might be to add buttons. It is not. The issue is the developer’s vision of the program. He means to concentrate input in the Receipts & Payments tab, especially for manual transactions. He means to allow only actions specific to bank accounts in the Bank Accounts tab.

Hello @lubos being able to see bank and cash transactions separately in customer and supplier’s ledger and statement would solve the problem I am encountering.

@raJ, I don’t understand what problem you are trying to solve. You originally wrote:

The combined tab means you only have to search one tab, not two. And all transactions in one place makes it easier to identify missing or double posts. Everything you say you did in separate tabs can now be done in one tab. Can you describe a scenario where the combined tab interferes?

After the update I can’t search for “bank” and “cash” as title of transaction is renamed as simply “receipts”

It is important for me to know total bank and cash deposits for reconciliation with customers/suppliers. I can definitely view each transaction to see if deposits were made at bank or cash which would be laborious and there will be no point of using software if things aren’t automated for ready use.

Please see attached file to be clear

It seems that if you are trying to reconcile with a customer/supplier, a transaction-type statement is the easiest way to go.

I don’t understand why is it important to see whether receipt is cash receipt or bank receipt in the context of reconciling payments from customers.

Money received from customer is money received regardless of payment method.

Also, when you say reconciling, what are you reconciling against? Customers send you their statements?

1 Like

@lubos, in my opinion @raJ has a valid point. If the payment is identified by bank or cash transaction, it is definitely helpful & easy for any type of reconciliation.

I would also like to distinguish between cash and bank transactions. I am yet to update from and earlier version which didn’t combine transactions, they have their own tab.

I use a cash account “cash received “ when receiving money for an invoice. When I have sufficient money to be banked I reconcile the physical cash held against the cash received account. Once matching amounts confirmed I do an inter account transfer (to business account) then bank the cash.

I also use the same way for received cash, so distinguishing between cash and bank transactions will help me too

I don’t see an issue, @itmoto. You did not say, but I assume you have your Cash received account set up under the Cash Accounts tab. If you want to reconcile physical cash, go to the Cash Accounts tab, where you will see the balance for Cash received. If the physical count matches, all is presumably good. If it doesn’t, click the balance of the account for a list of transactions.

That transaction list can be examined for duplicates. You would probably want to sort on Amount first. If a duplicate is not to blame, that raises the possibility of mistaken posting to another bank or cash account. Mistaken postings are most easily located if all receipts and payments are in the same tab, as now occurs. Just sort by Amount received and look for an amount matching the discrepancy. There would be no need for examining each and every receipt/payment as @raJ fears.

The next possibility is that a transaction was simply omitted. In that case, nothing in Manager will help, no matter how transactions are classified or labeled, because there will be nothing to find. You would need some form of physical evidence, such as manual receipt copies. If you have them, the easiest way to find the omission is by comparison with the Cash Accounts drill-down.

If neither duplication, misposting, nor omission are to blame, you have one of two problems: (1) an entry error or (2) physical loss or theft of cash. Entry errors require reconciliation against some form of physical evidence, just like omissions. Again, the drill-down from the Cash Accounts balance is most useful, but only if you kept copies in some form. (Standard-price service/goods errors might be recognizable.) For physical loss, you need better security or employee screening, obviously not an accounting issue.

In summary, transactions from a single bank or cash account are easily separable in the Bank Accounts and Cash Accounts tabs. Any other search for a payment or receipt is easier in the combined Receipts & Payments tab, where relevant bank or cash accounts are listed.

1 Like

Thanks @Tut, I thought the update combined the accounts, glad to know they are still separate. Please disregard my post.
Thank you.

Hi @lubos,

It will be greats if the reference number can be reflect into the reference field instead appended to descriptions field (but i notice, it did not)

It is. You either need to update your software or illustrate what you mean with screen shots.

i’m using online software. How to update it?

import picture

csv file data

If you’re using the cloud edition, you are always up to date. So ignore that comment.

You did not mention anything about importing a statement. When you import a CSV file, you are limited to the fields mentioned in the Guide about importing. “#” is not one of those.

Please don’t continue this conversation in this topic. It is not related.