[17.6.0] New workflow for custom templates

If you are from India, as a user myself we have requested a new template as per the GST requirements which will be implemented next month. So i guess you can wait until then.

yes, and thank you we can wait.

you can follow the topic below and you will know if there are any updates.

The latest version (17.6.15) supports multiple templates. I thought I can get away by restricting users to just one template but various use-cases warrant multiple templates need to be supported.

Multiple templates can be created under Settings tab, then Templates.

Switching between templates can be done using Switch Template button in top-right corner when viewing a document (e.g. invoice, order, quote, receipt, statement etc.)

3 Likes

Great

I just download and install the newest desktop version 17.6.18, and found out that the option of “[17.4.0] Phasing out “Application Data” folder” is gone, now I can’t reverse back to previous version for that function.

Why do you want to reverse back to the previous version for which function.

Hi,
I need the phasing out Application Data folder mentioned in here:

the new version I just install goes back to old time that I need to re-import the database each time i open it in different computers and back-up after i make changes.

Nothing has changed in that regard, you can still locate your files in a common location such as Dropbox, and open the files on different computers without needing to backup and import with each computer.

That was available before 17.4.0, available during 17.4.0 and still available now with 17.6.0

Hi Thanks for the fix for Multiple Templates but the Switch Template Button is not working on Version 17.6.19 on OS-x 10.12.5

Thanks again for the fix

Hi Lubos,

Same thing here. Switch Template button not working in Manager 17.6.19 on OSX 10.9.5.

@ckeoghan, @Parrot should be fixed in the latest version (17.6.25)

Hi, That’s great, perfect fix.

Hi Lubos, I like the way the templates work now, but there is one thing I can’t work out, or that seems to have changed. I cannot seem to select a default theme, so I now have to ‘switch template’ each time I create a new sales order, or even when viewing old sales orders. Everything seems to have defaulted to the original theme provided. For example, we have renamed the Sales Order, so it is called ‘Notification for Payment’ on our custom template. Now whenever I create a new ‘Notification for Payment’ I have to remember to switch themes or it will be called a Sales Order again. this even happens even when viewing old sales orders / notifications for payment created months ago.

It would also be helpful to have the names of the custom templates appear under the switch theme button. I had a bunch of templates that were quite similar looking and had not been named other than Custom 1, custom 2 etc, so it was difficult to figure out which was which without examining all the code. Perhaps by clicking the switch template button a drop down list of the custom templates saved could appear? Thanks

1 Like

@FCP read the link below, read all comments, it explains why it is so.

I have pointed out exactly the same two shortcomings to @lubos in a private exchange, @FCP:

• No identification of which template is being used
  • Constant reversion to the default template

I hope others with similar concerns will make them known.

Yes, I agree. Although after reading the post Abeiku linked me to I now understand why it is reverting to the default template, it is rather annoying to have to keep switching theme in order to see the one you actually want to see and use. Inevitably there will be times when we press print or email this or PDF it for someone, forgetting that it’s in the wrong template, which will waste resources, time and energy. I would rather be able to select which custom template I would like to default to for each section …sales invoice, sales order, purchase invoice etc. Perhaps an option in the custom fields section?

Okay so going forward. ‘Set As Default Template’ won’t be bad

2 Likes

I’ve also just noticed that if you are viewing an invoice for example and have switched themes, so it appears in the correct custom template, but then you notice something you need to edit, after you have edited and updated the invoice, the view reverts back to the default template again, which is super annoying.

I am yet to test the new invoice template, I am still using the the depreciated View Templates as that fits my needs perfectly. I am hesitant to upgrade to a invoice workflow I am unable to use at my busiest time of year unless confirmation View Templates are still supported for legacy users?
From what see on the forum and even without testing I would have to agree that being able to set default template and having template identification is a basic need.