[16.11.93] Added ability to track physical location of inventory items

@lubos - why can’t/don’t Purchase Invoices & Sales Invoices have “Inventory Location” as part of their input form. Yet Cash Sales and Cash Purchases do have the option.

If you have multiple outlets and have credit sales over the counter - customer comes to the outlet, selects and takes the goods and receives on departing an Invoice payable in 30 days.

Therefore, no deliveries - how can one allocate/track each location’s inventory via these Sales Invoice? (without having to duplicate the workflow with delivery notes)

Similar, how can Purchase Invoices that arrive with the goods be directly entered - no separate Goods Receipt requirement? (without duplicating the workflow with goods receipts)

3 Likes

@lubos does this mean we create a goods receipt matching current stock for each supplier, and delivery notes also matching current stock for customers? I only have one customers with hundreds of sales invoices over hundreds of SKUs. How could I bring the goods receipts and delivery notes up to speed?

@lubos - can I suggest that “unspecified location” be listed under Setting - Inventory Locations as a default location which can be renamed. This way all pre-existing Manager inventory has an actual location and users can then use the Inventory Transfer to re-distribute to other new locations.

Currently “unspecified location” implies homelessness, that existing inventory doesn’t belong anywhere.

Currently, if you have “n” years of inventory purchases, then they all show up as “Quantity to be delivered from suppliers” and similarly for inventory sales.

Perhaps “unspecified location” could become “Default Location” and then have the Inventory Location field requiring mandatory input, as for Customers & Suppliers names - or be a suspense transaction if left blank

Thinking further, how do you tell previous inventory (prior to using Inventory Locations) that it now belongs to a location when it has never been assigned a location.

Use an Inventory Locations “Start Date”, all predated purchase / sales belong to the Default Location

I’ll probably add that option for consistency reasons. Normally when it comes to invoices, they are usually credit sales or credit purchases where payment or delivery of goods happen at different time.

But I agree, there are use cases where goods are dispatched at the same time as invoice is issued. So for these use cases it makes sense to be able to specify inventory location on invoices.

Are you referring how to set up starting balances per each inventory location?

It depends. Some users have been using Delivery notes for quite some time so they will have more accurate picture of where their stock is across their inventory locations.

For those who didn’t use Delivery Notes, they can create one dummy delivery note per each customer to account for all items already delivered.

For those who didn’t use Delivery Notes, they can create one dummy delivery note per each customer to account for all items already delivered.

This is what I was asking about. I didn’t use delivery notes nor goods receipts before. If I create one dummy delivery note per customer to get the inventory movements up to speed, what should I put in this note? I have hundreds of sales invoices per customer for physical goods and not sure how to reconcile all these movements with a dummy delivery note.

Go to the Inventory Items tab and click on the quantity figure for each item and this will produce a report (as shown above) detailing the “total” quantity for each Customer / Supplier. Use these totals for the dummy delivery notes and goods receipts.

You could build up the inventory data in a spreadsheet and then post “one” delivery note per customer and “one” goods receipt per Supplier.

@lubos Here is the idea i have, you can implement a simple check box on sales and purchases invoices that asks if the goods will be delivered instantly or delivered later.
If the Goods Are Delivered Instantly is checked during sales invoice for example, the inventory system will treat the inventory as delivered to the customer and if the Goods Are Delivered Instantly isn’t checked, the system will apply the normal workflow which will set aside Quantity to be delivered to customer and release it after a delivery note has been entered.

The delivery note system is perfect for me and wouldn’t want to lose it.

1 Like

I agree this is an option, with the proviso that the ticked checked box then displays the Inventory Location field if activated under Settings.

But on the other hand, does having the Inventory Location as a selection on the Invoices interfere with the usage of Delivery Notes as the selection would only flow through to the Delivery Note from the Invoice.

The question is - does now having the Inventory Locations option change the Delivery Note workflow compared to previously when there was no Inventory Location option. If so, how ?

1 Like

It occurs to me that inventory items might be handled very much like cash account transactions. Just as with cash transactions we have the option for Cleared and Pending (with the clearance date appearing only when that is selected), on any transaction involving inventory items, you could have a similar dropdown box with Pending and Delivered. Or Ordered and Delivered. Delivered would refer to delivery to the customer or from the supplier as applicable. Inventory reports could show columns for the same.

Likewise, another field would provide selection of location (if enabled). This business of goods receipts seems cumbersome and perhaps ought to be restricted to transfers. Meanwhile, receipts, payments, or invoices involving inventory items would require no further action if delivery was immediate. For delayed deliveries, editing the appropriate form would be much easier than having to create a new one. But there would need to be a way to handle partial deliveries.

2 Likes

An idea to consider…

If locations have been added, a default location can be selected.
All purchase invoices which location haven’t been set would be assumed delivered to the default location.
As Tut has mentioned, similar to cash transactions have the option for cleared and pending, the invoices would have the option to set a location (by default it would be the selected default location)
This would eliminate the need to create good receipts on many invoices created before this feature was introduced.

1 Like

Hey there, is there any update that I could copy Good Receipt/Delivery Note to purchase invoice/sales invoice?
My office operation is store receive/send items first before I can get the purchase invoice/sales invoice from another party.

Currently, goods receipts and delivery notes cannot be copied to any other form. To see which forms can be copied to them, see this Guide:

https://forum.manager.io/t/using-the-copy-to-function/7262

Thanks Lubos et al for adding Inventory Transfers. It makes my consignments easier to deal with!

I agree with the suggestions above regarding the ability to generate a general report for inventory items in different locations and also for adding the choice of inventory location in sales invoices.

1 Like

Hello Sir
At the time of Purchase & Sales how to select Location & how to Generate Location Wise Inventory Quantity Movement Report.?

1 Like

Currently you can’t, but Lubos wrote in post 44 above

"I’ll probably add that option for consistency reasons. Normally when it comes to invoices, they are usually credit sales or credit purchases where payment or delivery of goods happen at different time.

But I agree, there are use cases where goods are dispatched at the same time as invoice is issued. So for these use cases it makes sense to be able to specify inventory location on invoices."

1 Like

Thanks

I would like to request to add filter on Inventory balances in location report
we want to filter by customer field or location
i have 10000 ++ inventory and difficult to check report
we don’t want to give right to inventory for some user because we don’t want to show cost to them
thanks