[16.11.93] Added ability to track physical location of inventory items

Goods are in supplier “warehouse” until they physically arrive at new location. So Goods Receipt would be entered when goods are received. I mean if you really really want to track this, you can always create an inventory location for transits. Then you can enter Goods Receipt when inventory goes into transit and enter Inventory Transfer when inventory is finally delivered. I think this workflow is probably too much work for little benefit though.

I haven’t done any report yet but this is obviously something that will be added.

Typically “warehouse 2, rack 3 shelf 5” will contain only one inventory type. So you wouldn’t have inventory locations for each inventory type. That would bring no benefit.

1 Like

You can specific inventory location in the latest version (16.11.99)

Implemented in the latest version (16.11.99)

Fixed in the latest version (16.11.99)

Added to the latest version (16.11.99). I still think converting credit note into delivery note is a bit counter-intuitive since you are actually receiving returned goods from customer so maybe it should be “goods receipt” rather than negative delivery note.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I understand what you say about the goods dispatched. The problem is that you would not know when they have been dispatched until you receive them and therefore are unable to track them using a location - you can’t physically track inventory that is not there. It would be more a report to show any potential adjustments that need to be made to stock. I also agree that it is a minor point however some would find it useful.

As for the sub locations - another minor point - I am thinking of a warehouse which has for example 5 racks (each 20m long) and 5 shelves. This gives a shelf space of 5m. Each product line takes up lets say 1m. That would be 20 lines on each shelf and 100 on each rack giving 500 products in the warehouse. If I were wanting to check stock levels and someone said it is somewhere in the warehouse of 500 items then I would want to know where the individual item is so it would bring a practical benefit. Having to locate a product in just 20 is much more simple. For companies that hold a large number of different stock items then this would be great. It would also help with stock takes.

Hope that explains were I am coming from.

I have done some testing and i don’t think the above request will be necessary.

Hello, I have a suggestion for inventory location:

• When creating a new sales invoice, allow us to select the inventory location for the inventory items we add to the invoice.

This is useful if we don’t track inventory movement, but still want to assign location to inventory and deduct it from the appropriate location when creating a sales invoice.

In this case without inventory movement tracking, the workflow goes:

• Create sales invoice
  • Receive payment

It is possible to say from which location to deduct inventory when receiving payment, but if the sales invoice is for items from multiple locations, it isn’t possible to specify exactly from where the items should be deducted.

I wanted the multiple location too, but then I thought it isn’t right for a company to sell from multiple locations.
Many apps give you the ability to select from multiple locations in many situations but I think selecting from a single location in it self is a control.

However that ability will benefit some other people.

I have to disagree with you on this issue, @Abeiku. In my experience, it is very common for a single sales invoice to include items shipped from different locations. While you might try to service customers from local warehouses, it is more important to be able to fulfill their orders. So if you need to specify shipment from multiple locations, that is a valuable capability.

Well I suggested something like he is suggesting earlier in this thread. Location option for every line item. In write offs, transfer, production and sales and purchases etc

This is what I was getting at @Tut. We frequently have sales orders containing products from multiple locations, which the customer is aware of. If we can specify location on SKU level it will be great. Currently using the “hack” of adding -LOC to end of SKUs to know from where we are selling from. Hoping locations will be implemented on SKU level, it would just be a matter of adding another column to the sales invoice, or having location info when searching for products in manager.

I’m confused by the Goods Receipts. I copied a PO to a goods receipt. It made two entries to Inventory a +1 and a -1, so I see that all the accounting stayed within Inventory?

In my mind, since I did the receipt what I really have is Inventory went up by 1 and I now have an accrued liability for goods received not invoiced. The subsequent invoice would then ‘clear’ the accrual.

So as I look at the Inventory reconciliation report. I see Quantity on Hand 1 less quantity to be delivered from suppliers 1 but they are delivered they just aren’t invoiced. I should have an inventory asset of lets say $500 and an accrued liability of $500 but I have inventory of zero. Thoughts?

From what you have describe:

The PO would show as

• to be delivered from Supplier +1

The GR would show as

• delivered from Supplier -1
  • delivered into warehouse +1

Therefore the Inventory Reconciliation Report should say

• un-invoiced quantity on hand +1

As for the inventory asset/accrued liability, I don’t think that should occur until the Purchase Invoice is processed as that provides Manger a constant/fixed point for all users - those not using PO and GR

@lubos I am requesting for the ability to hide Inventory locations from users on the server and cloud edition.
Let say, I have two types of inventory

• Office supplies that includes Printer cartridges, A4 paper boxes, Flip Charts, etc. with which I issue for office use using the inventory write off tab.
• Merchandise inventory

Now I have different officers responsible for monitoring the two inventory types, an office assistant monitors/checks the levels of office supplies and enters all data regarding it. Office supplies are not stored in the warehouse
A finance officer also monitors the levels of merchandise inventory and checks and enters all the movement of inventory into the warehouse and the retail centers and the production points.
Now I do not want the office assistant to see the warehouse and the retail outlets if she clicks to select a location during inventory write offs (issuing supplies).
I do not want the sales officers in the retail point to see the warehouse and office supplies locations when they click to select a location during sales of merchandised inventory items.
Lastly I do not want the finance officer to see the location of the office supplies when recording transactions.
I do however want the Finance Manager to see all locations in his transactions. (Permission to see all Locations)
This will help prevent errors in the management of inventory.

Reports
The permission idea can also flow into the upcoming inventory balances by locations report where the balances of all inventory items will be displayed location wise.
The user will generate the report by selecting a location (only allowed/permitted locations for the user will be displayed) and then select the balance date and create the report. (The balance date will help the user easily do a beginning and ending balance analysis for desired periods)
If the location is left blank, the field will display ‘All’ which will bring out the balances of all inventory under the locations allowed/permitted for that user.
This will help users easily create inventory reports which is related to their duties.

This will be a golden feature to add to the user permissions options and one I can really boast about to potential Manager.io users if implemented.

Since the way is to deliver inventory items and then invoice them, there should be a way to be able to know which inventory items was delivered to the customer and are not invoiced yet, preferably order by customer, something like unvoiced billable expenses column, under the menu “customers”.

I Think under the menu “Delivery Notes” and “Good Receipts” the column “Sales Order” should be shown

Yeah I am very sure Lubos will implement Order Management in the future which will give balances on orders and all information on orders. @pandhm

1 Like

I Think under the menu “Delivery Notes” the column “Sales Order” should be shown
as well as under “Good Receipts” the column “Purchase Order”.

These information exist in the form already, just make it visible

I think the inventory report subtitles when using Goods Receipts and Delivery Notes are misleading.

Quantity to be delivered from suppliers - This is really quantity received from but not invoiced by suppliers.

Quantity to be delivered to Customers - This is really the quantity shipped but not yet invoiced to customers.

Quantity to be delivered from suppliers - S/B: Quantity ordered but not yet delivered by Suppliers

Quantity received from suppliers - S/B: Quantity received but not yet invoiced by Suppliers

There is no way to see the actual inventory levels in each location. We have tested this by creating 2 locations (Warehouse1 and Warehouse2) with 3 identical items in each warehouse. When you sell inventory out of each location you can not see how much are left in the 2 locations. It only show the quantity on globally, not individual locations.

When you click on the 4 items for 480GB SSD Drives, there should be 2 left in each location. But it only show the amount purchased or moved from one location to the other. The the inventory show the amount sold. So when you click on the amount on wharehouse2 you still see 13 in total excluding that is show the move of inventory to warehouse1.

It would be very helpful to see the invoiced items transactions as well so you have the total of what is actually in the locations. Is can just say sales invoice -8 for example. Then you would be able to accurately check your quantities in each location.

What will also be good feature is the ability to pull a report per location for stock take purposes per location, as it will not be the same person doing the stock take when the locations are far apart.

2 Likes

The quantities per inventory item will only show correctly once you have issued a delivery note. However this will be a problem if the client collects the specific inventory item after for example 5 months. There should be a method on the same inventory report that shows “non collected stock” which has already been invoiced.

A suggestion would be:

• Have the system automatically create a “Invoiced stock - Not collected” for each location. As in the above example “Warehouse 1 - Customer to collect” location that the system automatically creates when you create your actual static location. {the system will then allocated the stock to this location as soon as it has been invoiced. It will only move
    once a delivery has been issued.}
  • and the same for warehouse 2.

This would be a good way to keep track of invoiced stock in an actual location which have not been
collected yet and you are not delivering.